Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Boot Options on HP PA-RISC and Itanium Servers Post 302277406 by Perderabo on Friday 16th of January 2009 08:30:12 AM
Old 01-16-2009
I think that most folks disable the full memory tests. When the 9000's first came out, an 8 MB system was average sized and 64 MB was the max. At that point the full tests made sense. As memory sizes grew the test became annoying. Now it can take hours. In 25 plus years as a HP Sys Admin, I believe that I saw two bad memory boards and one of those was dead on arrival.

I would run the full tests once when I first get the system for sure. After that, a yearly full test might make sense... but I never did that.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

please help need HP-UX 11 for PA RISC

Im not asking for an illegal copy (but from what i understand if i have the system its not illegal to give it to me) just how to get a copy of hp-ux period i have some old hp visualize systems based on the PA8500 400mhz cpu spent days on the phone with hp they no nothing and there website is a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maliqua
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 11i v2 for PA-RISC

Hello, i trying to get HP-UX 11i v2 for PA-RISC. I`im to poor to buy this system, so I`am asking that someone can help me. best regards email removed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mruczas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

menu.lst, boot options?

Hi all, I would like to have some details on menu.lst!! the reason is ,if i am trying to add my own boot option where do i need to add it? is it in menu.lst only or elsewere(am referring to unix os) because i tried adding a unique boot option and it was not reflected when the system booted?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

Does HP-UX On Itanium always come with PA-RISC compatibility

Does anybody know if HP-UX on Itanium always comes with backwards compatibility for PA-RISC applications? I've heard that there is an emulator called Aries which should do the trick, I just need to know if it always comes as standard with HP-UX Itanium systems. Any help would be greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nialler
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Options to administer SUDO on 300+ servers...

I am supporting a little over 300+ servers, mostly Solaris with a handful of AIX and HPUX. Currently each box has its own sudoers file that is different. I have ran a script and captured each sudoers file. Our goal is to have 1 common sudo file on a trusted host and then only have to edit that file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibby13
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Boot options - DVD drive read error

I was wondering if there was a way to boot from openboot from the dvd drive. I was thinking about imaging the dvd to a blank drive and going about it that way. I just need to do a flash install. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies
AMT(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    AMT(8)

NAME
amt -- Abstract Machine Test Utility SYNOPSIS
amt [-m] [-p] [-q] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The amt utility is used to verify that the low level functions necessary to enforce requirements of the Controlled Access Protection Profile (CAPP) are working correctly. The amt utility must be executed with sufficient privileges and performs the following tests: Memory Read and Write This test allocates between 5% to 10% of physical memory and writes data to it, then reads the memory back to ensure the values writ- ten remain unchanged. Memory Separation and Protection This test ensures that user space programs cannot read and write to areas of memory that is protected or is not shared. Privileged Instructions This test ensures that the enforcement of the property that privileged instructions should only be in supervisor mode is still in effect. The set of privileged instructions tested to confirm this is architecture dependent. The options are as follows: -m Skip the memory test. -p Skip the privileged instructions test. -q Suppress the screen output. -s Skip the memory separation and protection test. EXIT CODES
<0 An error occured in executing the tests. =0 All the tests passed. >0 The number of tests that failed or were skipped. NOTES
The overall result (pass or fail) is logged in the audit trail and system log. The auditd(8) daemon must already be running for the results to be stored in the audit trail file. One of the above test may be skipped without getting a negative result. A test is skipped either with one of the above command-line options or automatically if there is not a test compatiable with the Target Of Evaluation (TOE). The audit administrator may want to perform the mem- ory test only on startup since it can have large negative impact on the system performance. SEE ALSO
audit(2) auditd(8) syslog(3) syslogd(8) BSD
August 14, 2008 BSD