Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How can I create a new swap location in ZFS? Post 302277342 by jlliagre on Friday 16th of January 2009 03:45:37 AM
Old 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa777
I am running OpenSolaris v5.11

During installation, the installation created default ZFS filesystems, like the dump and swap locations.
I want to change the blocksize of the /dump and /swap locations
Why ? What do you expect with changing the dump and swap blocksizes ?
Quote:
and make them ZFS volumes.
They are already ZFS volumes, not filesystems.
Quote:
I was able to do a zfs destroy on /rpool/dump and then create another dump location with the proper options:
zfs create -b 131072 -V 1024m rpool/dump
I bet it was initially created with the same options. What says
"zpool history -il | grep dump" ?
Quote:
I cannot destroy /rpool/swap though. It tells me that the ...dataset is busy. I did some investigating and found that I have to do a dumpadm
Your investigation failed, dumpadm has no relationship with the swap, especially when on ZFS.
Quote:
but that doesn't work either:

>dumpadm -d swap
dumpadm: no swap devices could be configured as the dump device

>swap -l
swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 182,1 8 16775160 16775160

How can I destroy the /rpool/swap directory and then create another swap directory and make it a volume with a particular blocksize? Do I rename the swap location to something else?
You don't remove swap with the dumpadm command but with the swap one:
Code:
swap -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of commands in a central location, and then run them all remotely through a ssh here

I'm trying to write a script that in the end will from one central location hop to a bunch of servers and then run a series of ping tests. The thing is, the list of devices that needs to be pinged is going to be different for each server. So what I want to do is be able to do is read through the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

2. Solaris

increase SWAP on ZFS file system

Hi All, I am using this commands to dynamically increase ZFS swap space on Solaris my question is: 1- after i make these commands it will permanent or it will remove after restart 2- how to make it permanent # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo bloques libre /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmanux
4 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Firefox create new profile in non default location

Could someone please explain how to setup a new firefox profile in non default location from the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Create files to introduce with ZFS

Hello, To learn ZFS, i try to create pool . and for that i want create 10 files with 512MB (because i dont have multiple disks and multiple controllers) ADMIT THAT THIS IS TEN HIGH-PERFORMANCE HARD DRIVES To get this 10 files,all of them have the same size : 512MB, I do these... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: herbich1985
9 Replies

5. BSD

Unable to create zfs zpool in FreeBSD 8.2: no such pool or dataset

I am trying to test simple zfs functionality on a FreeBSD 8.2 VM. When I try to run a 'zpool create' I receive the following error: # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0s1a cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or dataset # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0 cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Trying to create ZFS slice on rpool

I have a 240GB disk as rpool. I have installed Solaris 11.3 to a partition which is 110GB. Now I have another 130GB which is unallocated. I want to use that additional space as a temporary folder to be shared between Solaris and Linux. The additional space had no /dev/dsk/c2t4... entry so I used... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
8 Replies

7. Solaris

How do I add extra ZFS swap in Solaris 11.3?

Hello, I have given 3 x 1 TB LUNs to add more swap space in a Solaris 11.3 OS -bash-4.4# swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 303,1 16 8388592 8388592 -bash-4.4# swap -s total: 84780376k bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
5 Replies
AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)					  System Administration Commands					 AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)

NAME
amzfs-snapshot - Amanda script to create zfs snapshot DESCRIPTION
amzfs-snapshot is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It create a zfs snapshot of the filesystem where the path specified is mounted. PRE-DLE-* create a snapshot and the POST-DLE-* destroy the snapshot, *-DLE-AMCHECK, *-DLE-ESTIMATE and *-DLE-BACKUP must be set to be executed on the client: execute-on pre-dle-amcheck, post-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate, post-dle-estimate, pre-dle-backup, post-dle-backup execute-where client The PRE_DLE_* script output a DIRECTORY property telling where the directory is located in the snapshot. The application must be able to use the DIRECTORY property, amgtar can do it. The script is run as the amanda user, it must have the priviledge to create and destroy snapshot: zfs allow -ldu AMANDA_USER mount,snapshot,destroy FILESYSTEM Some system doesn't have "zfs allow", but you can give the Amanda backup user the rights to manipulate ZFS filesystems by using the following command: usermod -P "ZFS File System Management,ZFS Storage Management" AMANDA_USER This will require that your run zfs under pfexec, set the PFEXEC property to YES. The format of the DLE must be one of: Desciption Example ---------- ------- Mountpoint /data Arbitrary mounted dir /data/interesting_dir ZFS pool name datapool ZFS filesystem datapool/database ZFS logical volume datapool/dbvol The filesystem must be mounted. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control amzfs-snapshot's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. DF-PATH Path to the 'df' binary, search in $PATH by default. ZFS-PATH Path to the 'zfs' binary, search in $PATH by default. PFEXEC-PATH Path to the 'pfexec' binary, search in $PATH by default. PFEXEC If "NO" (the default), pfexec is not used, if set to "YES" then pfexec is used. EXAMPLE
In this example, a dumptype is defined to use amzfs-snapshot script to create a snapshot and use amgtar to backup the snapshot. define script-tool amzfs_snapshot { comment "backup of zfs snapshot" plugin "amzfs-snapshot" execute-on pre-dle-amcheck, post-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate, post-dle-estimate, pre-dle-backup, post-dle-backup execute-where client #property "DF-PATH" "/usr/sbin/df" #property "ZFS-PATH" "/usr/sbin/zfs" #property "PFEXEC-PATH" "/usr/sbin/pfexec" #property "PFEXEC" "NO" } define dumptype user-zfs-amgtar { dt_amgtar script "amzfs_snapshot" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)