Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Which lookup tool query both hosts and DNS server? Post 302277304 by pludi on Friday 16th of January 2009 02:09:09 AM
Old 01-16-2009
Neither ping nor traceroute query the host you're trying to reach, they too use DNS to resolve the name to an IP.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

dns and hosts file

ok i have a question now when i add machines on network that are running unix do i add them in the /etc/hosts file also include them in dns (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual Hosts and Alteon DNS conflicts

Hi, This is more of a verification rather than a question of technical nature. This is based on solaris 10 machine Could we use Virtual hosts (within our hosts file): 123.1.1.10 virtual_host_name 123.1.1.10 host_A (note: 123.1.1.10 - host_A is also in our DNS server entry) And... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackola
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[DNS] Reverse Lookup for 2 IP Addresses

Originally I had the server at home and on Comcast so I used dyndns.org for DNS. Once the server got a bit more popular, I leased a server at a colo facility. They set up the server name in their DNS so I didn't really have any reason to manage my own DNS. DynDNS was managing the domains and I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
7 Replies

4. AIX

prevent sendmail do DNS lookup

Hello! How do I prevent AIX sendmail from doing a DNS lookup prior sending the mail? (we still need to have the DNS resolving on AIX level). We are running AIX 6.1 and 5.3. //sap4ever (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sap4ever
1 Replies

5. Programming

How to set DNS lookup type for getaddrinfo()?

Hi there, I'm trying to do an MX type lookup using getaddrinfo(), but I can't work out how to change the lookup type to MX from the standard A - can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks very much John G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnGraham
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking for unix hosts that do not have reverse lookup

Hi there i am not sure how to explain my problem. i need to run a script to give me the results of all my unix hosts that do not have reverse lookup activated (for lack of a better word), i need to give this to out Server guys to add it part of the AD rules. So what i need is a script to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
0 Replies

7. Solaris

DNS Lookup failure:

I am facing typical problem with apache as proxy. my solaris box was running with apache1.3, due to security issue i have updated to apache 2.2. I don't have any DNS set up onmy network. I was able to connect to internet apache 1.3 working as proxy server. http and https are working fine. when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sns_sns
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

DNS reverse lookup issue

Hi guys. Ok so let me lay out my configs. I can do a NSlookup from client to server BUT NOT a reverse lookup. DNS server: Optimus.jaydomain.com IP : 192.168.1.50 DNS Client: Megatron.jaydomain.com IP : 192.168.1.60 On Sever: # cat /etc/named.conf // // named.conf // // Provided... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

9. AIX

Use of /etc/hosts files in resolving the dns name

Hello, For what purpose /etc/hosts file is used.I mean how any request coming to a DNS server or a switch would know that which name and ip are configured in /etc/hosts files of a server? Best regards, Vishal (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

DNS Lookup Tool Using DIG

Hi. Having a bit of quick fun putting some networking tools online. Here is a DNS Lookup tool. It's basically the DIG command line tool wrapped in forum formatting. If you want more features, please post here. I'm doing to make a few more network tools like this and move on to other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
avahi-resolve(1)					      General Commands Manual						  avahi-resolve(1)

NAME
avahi-resolve - Resolve one or more mDNS/DNS host name(s) to IP address(es) (and vice versa) using the Avahi daemon SYNOPSIS
avahi-resolve --name host-name ... avahi-resolve-host-name host-name ... avahi-resolve --address address ... avahi-resolve-address address ... DESCRIPTION
Resolve one or more mDNS/DNS host name(s) to IP address(es) (and vice versa) using the Avahi daemon. OPTIONS
When passing -n, specify one or more fully qualified mDNS/DNS host name(s) (e.g. "foo.local") to resolve into IP addresses on the command line. When passing -a, specify one or more IP address to resolve into host names. avahi-resolve-host-name is equivalent to avahi-resolve --name. avahi-resolve-address is equivalent to avahi-resolve --address. -n | --name Translate one or more fully qualified host names into addresses. -a | --address Translate one or more addresses into fully qualified host names. -v | --verbose Enable verbose mode. -6 When resolving a host name, look for IPv6 addresses exclusively. -4 When resolving a host name, look for IPv4 addresses exclusively. -h | --help Show help. -V | --version Show version information. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-publish-address(1), avahi-daemon(8) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User avahi-resolve(1)