Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to redirect the import log to /dev/null? Post 302277088 by vinoo128 on Thursday 15th of January 2009 11:13:53 AM
Old 01-15-2009
How to redirect the import log to /dev/null?

Hi
i am running oracle database import through a script and script scans the import log to see if there are any errors.

Now the porblem is that when i run the script the import log appears on the screen even if i direct the output of import to /dev/null.

imp "'/ as sysdba'" file=${exp_file} log=${RUN_PATH}/imp_${db}_${dt}.log parfile=config.par > /dev/null

i tried adding 2>&1 > /dev/null to the end but then the log appears in the log file instead of the screen ,which the script builds with

exec > ${RUN_PATH}/db_exp_full.log

i dont want the log either on the screen or the log file.I will just scan the log file for errors ,if any, mentioned in the log parameter of imp above.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

>/dev/null

Maybe it's an stupid question but remeber... I'm Junior.. I use command line to run programs, and some of them gives a lot of information when, for example, you open a window or other actions. That's really bad because my terminal gets full of unwanted messages, so I use "bin file & >/dev/null"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null

Hi expert, May I know what is the difference between below cron tab entry ? 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 0,12 * * * * /abc/myscript.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olaris
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the audio output to /dev/null

I'm using an text-to-speech synthesis in a script, and I need to redirect it's output to /dev/null how can I do that ? And how to redirect the stream to his normal output then (sound card ) ? thankx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firelink
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with /dev/null Please

Hello All and a Happy New year to yous guys. I'm running the below command on my AIX box and it keeps giving me the message that the file doesn't exist. I know the file don't exist, but I don't want to see the error. 2>/dev/null doesn't work. bash-3.00$ ls -l C* | wc -l 2>/dev/null ls:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard Error to /dev/null is not working.

Hello. When I run a .ksh that contains the command below, and there is no file available in the source location the "FILE_NAME_*.CSV not found" error is still being displayed. FILEN=$(ssh ${SOURCE_SERV} "cd ${SOURCE_LOCATION} ;ls ${FILES}") 2> /dev/null. This is interfering with the rest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies
Poet::Import(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Poet::Import(3pm)

NAME
Poet::Import -- Import Poet quick vars and utilities SYNOPSIS
# In a script... use Poet::Script qw($conf $poet $log :file); # In a module... use Poet qw($conf $poet $log :file); DESCRIPTION
Poet makes it easy to import certain variables (known as "quick vars") and utility sets into any script or module in your environment. In a script: use Poet::Script qw(...); and in a module: use Poet qw(...); where "..." contains one or more quick var names (e.g. $conf, $poet) and/or utility tags (e.g. ":file", ":web"). (Note that "use Poet::Script" is also necessary for initializing the environment, even if you don't care to import anything, whereas "use Poet" has no effect other than importing.) QUICK VARS
Here is the built-in list of quick vars you can import. Some of the variables are singletons, and some of them are specific to each package they are imported into. $poet The global environment object, provided by Poet::Environment. This provides information such as the root directory and paths to subdirectories. For backward compatibility this is also available as $env. $conf The global configuration object, provided by Poet::Conf. $cache The cache for the current package, provided by Poet::Cache. $log The logger for the current package, provided by Poet::Log. UTILITIES
Default utilities The utilities in Poet::Util::Debug are always imported, with no tag necessary. :file This tag imports all the utilities in Poet::Util::File. :web This tag imports all the utilities in Poet::Util::Web. It is automatically included in all Mason components. MASON COMPONENTS
Every Mason component automatically gets this on top: use Poet qw($conf $poet :web); "$m->cache" and "$m->log" will get you the cache and log objects for a particular Mason component. CUSTOMIZING
Adding variables To add your own variable, define a method called provide_var_varname in "MyApp::Import". For example to add a variable $dbh: package MyApp::Import; use Poet::Moose; extends 'Poet::Import'; method provide_var_dbh ($caller) { # Generate and return a dbh. # $caller is the package importing the variable. # $poet is the current Poet environment. } "provide_dbh" can return a single global value, or a dynamic value depending on $caller. Now your scripts and libraries can do use Poet::Script qw($dbh); use Poet qw($dbh); Adding utility tags To add your own utility tag, define a class "MyApp::Util::Mytagname" that exports a set of functions via the ':all' tag. For example: package MyApp::Util::Hash; use Hash::Util qw(hash_seed all_keys); use Hash::MoreUtils qw(slice slice_def slice_exists); our @EXPORT_OK = qw(hash_seed all_keys slice slice_def slice_exists); our %EXPORT_TAGS = ( 'all' => @EXPORT_OK ); 1; Now your scripts and libraries can do use Poet::Script qw(:hash); use Poet qw(:hash); SEE ALSO
Poet AUTHOR
Jonathan Swartz <swartz@pobox.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Jonathan Swartz. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-05 Poet::Import(3pm)