Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Another dumb question but...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Another dumb question but... Post 302277055 by KGee on Thursday 15th of January 2009 09:42:32 AM
Old 01-15-2009
OK, that also answers the next question I would have asked. With six months as the cutoff, you would avoid any confusion with files that had been modified in the previous year because the year would now be included in the directory list.

I am getting a list of files supplied to me and was wondering how they were able to sort them out so it only contained recent files from the current year when the year was not listed.

Thank You!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumb question

My problem is as follows: I have to write a korn shell script which will run mutiple java applications one after one. For example, I will execute the java application A first, after it is done I will run application B. My question is how do I do this? How does my korn shell script know that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhab99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb question...

ok i decided to go with Mandrake so i went to the site to download it and that took me to a mirror site. ok. so once i get there were can i find the install file(s) that i need? i only see a series of folder and files. the ones that say intall are instructions but i don't see the files themselves.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script dumb question

Hi, i'm dealing with a script and I have one question. If I have these: #!/bin/bash wget http://somesite/file.tar tar xvf file.tar exit I need the line that contains the command tar to wait until file.tar is completly downloaded, but it doesn't and continues with the next line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok really dumb question but...

Does anyone have detailed info on how to download the files. I go to www.freebsd.com and then i dont know what to do. I dont know why i dont know but im drawing a complete blank so is there anyone that can provide a step by step procedure for downloading/installing Linux? :confused: :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

5. AIX

got a dumb question where do i get AIX 5.3 from

Guys, ive been looking about , but obviously not hard enough, Where do i get AIX 5.3 from ? DO i need to purchase it or is it free to download on a single user license ?:confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmccull
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question...

Probably a really easy one for you guru's out there...:rolleyes: I need to make sure the reverse address lookup daemon in rarpd, is running. How do I do so? :confused: Did a grep for the process but couldnt find it, also looked in all the normal places, /bin etc... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this is a very dumb question...i know... :(

hi, when we do an "ls -l" on a directory, we get the listing of the contents of that dir... what is the meaning of some numbers...example in ; -rw-r--r-- 1 idr supp 0 Feb 18 19:41 dmesg drwxrwsrwx 2 root sys 96 Dec 27 15:31 test09 drwxr-xr-x 3 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb find question

All, For some reason I can't figure out why I can't wildcard my find statement to check for anything with a wildcard after. I can before the -name but not after. ie. find . -name *test works but find . -name test* gives me the error: find: paths must precede expression Usage: find ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with dumb for-loop question

can anyone please suggest what is wrong with this command: for i in ; do cat ~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15.tcl>>~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15_$i.tcl; ./setdest -n 15 -p 0 -M 5 -t 100 -x 500 -y 500 >>~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15_$i.tcl; cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amithkhandakar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb MV command question

Hi, Im trying to do move a file like this as mart of my script on Solaris mv /path/to/file/file.txt .. mv: cannot rename /path/to/file/file.txt to ../file.txt: Permission denied. Im just trying to move it up one level using the following command on a bunch of directories: find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
4 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal -- displays a calendar SYNOPSIS
cal [-smjy13] [[[day] month] year] DESCRIPTION
Cal displays a simple calendar. If arguments are not specified, the current month is displayed. The options are as follows: -1 Display single month output. (This is the default.) -3 Display prev/current/next month output. -s Display Sunday as the first day of the week. -m Display Monday as the first day of the week. -j Display Julian dates (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -y Display a calendar for the current year. -V Display version information and exit. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month (1 - 12) and year. Three parameters denote the day (1-31), month and year, and the day will be highlighted if the calendar is displayed on a terminal. If no parameters are specified, the current month's calendar is displayed. A year starts on Jan 1. The first day of the week is determined by the locale. The Gregorian Reformation is assumed to have occurred in 1752 on the 3rd of September. By this time, most countries had recognized the ref- ormation (although a few did not recognize it until the early 1900's.) Ten days following that date were eliminated by the reformation, so the calendar for that month is a bit unusual. HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. OTHER VERSIONS
Several much more elaborate versions of this program exist, with support for colors, holidays, birthdays, reminders and appointments, etc. For example, try the cal from http://home.sprynet.com/~cbagwell/projects.html or GNU gcal. AVAILABILITY
The cal command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD