Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with linked lists
Top Forums Programming Problem with linked lists Post 302277010 by spirtle on Thursday 15th of January 2009 06:07:25 AM
Old 01-15-2009
This line is dodgy:
Code:
data[0].friends=malloc(2*sizeof(struct record));

record::friends is of type pointer to pointer to struct record, but you are allocating space for two structs, which isn't the same thing. You need friends to point to the memory you allocated.
Try this
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

struct record {
  int id;
  struct record **friends;
};

void subroutine(struct record **data){
    int i;
    *data=malloc(3*sizeof **data);
    struct record* friends = malloc(2*sizeof *friends);
    (*data)[0].friends=&friends;
    for(i=0;i<3;i++) (*data)[i].id=i;
    (*data)[0].friends[0]=data[1];
    printf("%d %d\n", (*data)[0].id, (*data)[0].friends[0]->id);
}

int main(){
    int i;
    struct record *data;

/* This uncommented piece of code works as it is supposed to */
  data=malloc(3*sizeof *data);
  struct record* friends = malloc(2*sizeof *friends);
  data[0].friends=&friends;
  for(i=0;i<3;i++) data[i].id=i;
  data[0].friends[0]=&data[1];
  printf("%d %d\n", data[0].id, data[0].friends[0]->id);

struct record *data1;
  subroutine(&data1);
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Create non-duplicate lists from two lists

File_A contains Strings: a b c d File_B contains Strings: a c z Need to have script written in either sh or ksh. Derive resultant files (File_New_A and File_New_B) from lists File_A and File_B where string elements in File_New_A and File_New_B are listed below. Resultant... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlv_99
7 Replies

2. Programming

this code for addind polynomials using linked lists showed segmentation error..any help pls..

the error occurs in the function() "add" used... #include<stdio.h> #include<malloc.h> struct node { int exp; int coef; struct node * link; }; struct node * create_list(struct node *,int,int); void display(struct node *); struct node * add(struct node *,struct node *); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linked Servers

Hi, We have 2 UNIX Servers, say test1 and test2. Here, if I create a file or folder/delete a file or folder in the 1st server, it gets reflected automatically in the 2nd server. I don't think any links are established between these 2 servers. Both these have 2 different hostnames. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
1 Replies

4. Programming

unidirectional linked list pointer problem

I am trying to test some operations on a directed list. However, the declaration of a pointer is giving me trouble. I seem to have done something incorrectly because I get an error: "listtest.c:29: warning: 'p' may be used uninitialized in this function" Can anyone help? This is my code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
6 Replies

5. Programming

Help with linked list.

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> struct LinkedList { int val; struct LinkedList *next; }node; /*Creating a structure variable*/ typedef struct LinkedList Node; Node *start = NULL; int create(int i) { Node *temp = NULL; if (start == NULL) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prinsh
5 Replies
XML::LibXML::NodeList(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  XML::LibXML::NodeList(3)

NAME
XML::LibXML::NodeList - a list of XML document nodes DESCRIPTION
An XML::LibXML::NodeList object contains an ordered list of nodes, as detailed by the W3C DOM documentation of Node Lists. SYNOPSIS
my $results = $dom->findnodes('//somepath'); foreach my $context ($results->get_nodelist) { my $newresults = $context->findnodes('./other/element'); ... } API
new(@nodes) You will almost never have to create a new NodeList object, as it is all done for you by XPath. get_nodelist() Returns a list of nodes, the contents of the node list, as a perl list. string_value() Returns the string-value of the first node in the list. See the XPath specification for what "string-value" means. to_literal() Returns the concatenation of all the string-values of all the nodes in the list. get_node($pos) Returns the node at $pos. The node position in XPath is based at 1, not 0. size() Returns the number of nodes in the NodeList. pop() Equivalent to perl's pop function. push(@nodes) Equivalent to perl's push function. append($nodelist) Given a nodelist, appends the list of nodes in $nodelist to the end of the current list. shift() Equivalent to perl's shift function. unshift(@nodes) Equivalent to perl's unshift function. prepend($nodelist) Given a nodelist, prepends the list of nodes in $nodelist to the front of the current list. map($coderef) Equivalent to perl's map function. grep($coderef) Equivalent to perl's grep function. sort($coderef) Equivalent to perl's sort function. Caveat: Perl's magic $a and $b variables are not available in $coderef. Instead the two terms are passed to the coderef as arguments. reverse() Equivalent to perl's reverse function. foreach($coderef) Inspired by perl's foreach loop. Executes the coderef on each item in the list. Similar to "map", but instead of returning the list of values returned by $coderef, returns the original NodeList. reduce($coderef, $init) Equivalent to List::Util's reduce function. $init is optional and provides an initial value for the reduction. Caveat: Perl's magic $a and $b variables are not available in $coderef. Instead the two terms are passed to the coderef as arguments. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-22 XML::LibXML::NodeList(3)