Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print lines where there's no indent on the first field Post 302276905 by Raynon on Thursday 15th of January 2009 01:21:39 AM
Old 01-15-2009
Hi cfajohnson,

I tried your code but it does not get the expected result.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print running field average for a set of lines

Hi everyone, I have a program that generates logs that contains sections like this: IMAGE INPUT 81 0 0.995 2449470 0 1726 368 1 0.0635 0.3291 82 0 1.001 2448013 0 1666 365 1 0.0649 0.3235 83 0 1.009 2444822 0 1697 371 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to indent the file lines using vi?

Every now and then I have to indent the lines in my script to 4 space characters. I generally do it line by line. Is there an automated command in vi using which I can indent some set of lines to desired number of space characters in one go. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Tab Separated Field with AWK to all and print lines of unique fields.

Hi. I have a tab separated file that has a couple nearly identical lines. When doing: sort file | uniq > file.new It passes through the nearly identical lines because, well, they still are unique. a) I want to look only at field x for uniqueness and if the content in field x is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk, print all the lines where field 8 is equal to x

Using awk, print all the lines where field 8 is equal to x I really did try, but this awk thing is really hard to figure out. file1.txt"Georgia","Atlanta","2011-11-02","x","","","","" "California","Los Angeles","2011-11-03","x","","","",""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: print lines with one of multiple pattern in the same field (column)

Hi all, I am new to using awk and am quickly discovering what a powerful pattern-recognition tool it is. However, I have what seems like a fairly basic task that I just can't figure out how to perform in one line. I want awk to find and print all the lines in which one of multiple patterns (e.g.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgo4
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print ALL lines except if field is 999

Hi All!!! :-) I need a command that will print each line of a text file UNLESS the 3rd field of that line is equal to the number 999. (space seperated fields) Solaris10/BASH SHELL: INPUT.TXT aaa bbb 111 222 ccc ddd 333 444 eee fff 999 555 ggg hhh 666 777 aaa bbb 999 222 ccc ddd 333... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print field after pattern in all lines

data: hello--hello1--hello2--#growncars#vello--hello3--hello4--jello#growncars#dello--gello--gelloA--gelloB#growncars# I want to be able to print all the values that are found between the patterns "#growncars#" and the next "#growncars#" on the same line. so the output should be: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on text in field and value in two additional fields

In the awk below I am trying to print the entire line, along with the header row, if $2 is SNV or MNV or INDEL. If that condition is met or is true, and $3 is less than or equal to 0.05, then in $7 the sub pattern :GMAF= is found and the value after the = sign is checked. If that value is less than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print lines based upon unique values in Nth field

For some reason I am having difficulty performing what should be a fairly easy task. I would like to print lines of a file that have a unique value in the first field. For example, I have a large data-set with the following excerpt: PS003,001 MZMWR/ L-DWD// * PS003,001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)