Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302276831 by Corona688 on Wednesday 14th of January 2009 05:23:53 PM
Old 01-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarkin
I also use the command line and like to script everything, however, that doesn't mean it can't be efficiently done from the GUI.
The problem with relying on the topmost system layer is the lower, less visible ones may end up badly neglected. I haven't seen much refinement to OSX's UNIX underpinnings at all; it's enough to run Darwin, and beyond that they don't demand much of it. Darwin gets the new features and development.

Last edited by Corona688; 01-14-2009 at 06:29 PM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
SystemStarter(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  SystemStarter(8)

NAME
SystemStarter -- Start, stop, and restart system services SYNOPSIS
SystemStarter [-gvxdDqn] [action [service]] DESCRIPTION
The SystemStarter utility is deprecated. System services should instead be described by a launchd.plist(5). See launchd(8) for more details. The launchd utility is available on Mac OS X 10.4 and later. In earlier versions of Mac OS X, the SystemStarter utility is used to start, stop, and restart the system services which are described in the /Library/StartupItems/ and /System/Library/StartupItems/ paths. The optional action argument specifies which action SystemStarter performs on the startup items. The optional service argument specifies which startup items to perform the action on. If no service is specified, all startup items will be acted on; otherwise, only the item pro- viding the service, any items it requires, or any items that depend on it will be acted on. During boot SystemStarter is invoked by launchd(8) and is responsible for starting all startup items in an order that satisfies each item's requirements. ACTIONS
start start all items, or start the item that provides the specified service and all items providing services it requires. stop stop all items, or stop the item that provides the specified service and all items that depend on it. restart restart all items, or restart the item providing the specified service. OPTIONS
-g (ignored) -v verbose (text mode) startup -x (ignored) -r (ignored) -d print debugging output -D print debugging output and dependencies -q be quiet (disable debugging output) -n don't actually perform action on items (no-run mode) NOTES
Unless an explicit call to ConsoleMessage is made, SystemStarter examines the exit status of the startup item scripts to determine the suc- cess or failure of the services provided by that script. FILES
/Library/StartupItems/ User-installed startup items. /System/Library/StartupItems/ System-provided startup items. SEE ALSO
ConsoleMessage(8), launchd(8), launchd.plist(5), rc(8) HISTORY
The SystemStarter utility appeared in Darwin 1.0 and was extended in Darwin 6.0 to support partial startup and interprocess communication. SystemStarter was deprecated by launchd(8) in Darwin 8.0. Darwin April 12, 2002 Darwin