Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users identify the unix process performing high disk i/o reads and writes Post 302276579 by methyl on Wednesday 14th of January 2009 06:09:07 AM
Old 01-14-2009
Please state exact version of Unix/Linux concerned.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script that reads/writes based upon contents of a file

Hi everyone, Ive got a quick question about the feasibility and any suggestions for a shell script. I can use sh or ksh, doesnt matter. Basically, Ive got an output file from a db2 command that looks like so: SCHEMA NAME CARD LEAF ELEAF LVLS ISIZE NDEL KEYS F4 F5 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify the unix processes performing high disk i/o reads and writes

I would like to write shell/perl script which identifies the top unix processes that are performing high disk I/O's or/and writes If any one knows the solution please help me? -Swamy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to find and kill a process with high memory utilization

Hi Unix Gurus i am somewhat new to unix scripting so need your help to create a script as below. # This script would find the process consuming memory beyond a certain #limit. if the meemory consumption is more than 100% for a period of 1 # minute for the specific process. the script would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinforlinux
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Does vmstat -d give a count of actual physical writes/reads done to/from hard disk?

Hi, I am trying to find the reliability of 'vmstat -d' for showing the actual physical writes on sectors on hard disk. Can anyone please tell me if the numbers in the "sectors" field under "read" or "write" headers show a count of the actual write commands sent to disk from the low level... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Life span of HDD - maximum reads/writes etc

Hi All I was wondering how the copying of vast amounts of data affected the overall lifespan of an HDD. In my example, I'm copying approx 120GB (250,000) of files, once per hour from disk to another. Is this likely to have a detrimental effect on the disk in terms of reads/writes etc? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify high values "ÿ" in a text file using Unix command

I have high values (such as ÿÿÿÿ) in a text file contained in an Unix AIX server. I need to identify all the records which are having these high values and also get the position/column number in the record structure if possible. Is there any Unix command by which this can be done to : 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: devina
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between buffered disk reads and cached reads?

I was analyzing the Disk read using hdparm utility. This is what i got as a result. # hdparm -t /dev/sda /dev/sda: Timing buffered disk reads: 108 MB in 3.04 seconds = 35.51 MB/sec # hdparm -T /dev/sda /dev/sda: Timing cached reads: 3496 MB in 1.99 seconds = 1756.56 MB/sec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script that reads and writes java console Minecraft

Hi I am looking for an easy way to lock game mode (0) for everyone included op on a Minecraft server. It can be a script that every time a player changes game to 1 the script changes back to 0. What the player writes is visible in the java console. I am not good at script programming and my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
0 Replies

9. Linux

Dealing with a really high amount of reads merged

I'm trying to performance tune the I/O of my web server, which is at 41.1% reads merged (If my math is correct), which seems a tad high to just be going along with the defaults. Will modifying read_ahead_kb affect the value of "reads merged" in diskstats? If not, what's a good way of tracking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to find which process using, while getting High Disk I/O?

In Our Production server I/O was very high, I Recived mail that Disk I/O was high, is it possible how to find which process Used this much I/O ? Iam Using Ubuntu server 12.04. Linux 3.9.3-x86_64-server33 (Li473-1200) 07/23/2014 _x86_64_ (8 CPU) 12:05:01 AM DEV ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
5 Replies
XkbGetIndicatorState(3) 					   XKB FUNCTIONS					   XkbGetIndicatorState(3)

NAME
XkbGetIndicatorState - Obtains the current state of the keyboard indicators SYNOPSIS
Status XkbGetIndicatorState (Display *display, unsigned int device_spec, unsigned int state_return); ARGUMENTS
- display connection to the X server - device_spec device ID, or XkbUseCoreKbd - state_return backfilled with a mask of the indicator state DESCRIPTION
Xkb allows applications to obtain information about indicators using two different methods. The first method, which is similar to the core X implementation, uses a mask to specify the indicators. The second method, which is more suitable for applications concerned with interop- erability, uses indicator names. The correspondence between the indicator name and the bit position in masks is as follows: one of the parameters returned from XkbGetNamedIndicators is an index that is the bit position to use in any function call that requires a mask of indicator bits, as well as the indicator's index into the XkbIndicatorRec array of indicator maps. XkbGetIndicatorState queries the display for the state of the indicators on the device specified by the device_spec. For each indicator that is "turned on" on the device, the associated bit is set in state_return. If a compatible version of the Xkb extension is not avail- able in the server, XkbGetIndicatorState returns a BadMatch error. Otherwise, it sends the request to the X server, places the state of the indicators into state_return, and returns Success. Thus the value reported by XkbGetIndicatorState is identical to the value reported by the core protocol. DIAGNOSTICS
BadMatch A compatible version of Xkb was not available in the server or an argument has correct type and range, but is otherwise invalid SEE ALSO
XkbGetNamedIndicators(3) X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XkbGetIndicatorState(3)