Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to trim a 419th column in UNIX file. Post 302276486 by Amit.Sagpariya on Wednesday 14th of January 2009 12:21:13 AM
Old 01-14-2009
How to trim a 419th column in UNIX file.

Hi All,

I have a UNIX file, which has Total of 532 column, each delimited with ^~^. One of the column (419) is 202 character long. In real case, it should be 22 character long.

cut -d~ -f419 filename

^404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040404040402 D2D404D4450444040604048E040404240C0404040
42404040404040584042544040404044404040404040404040404040404040^

I need to trim it to 22 character. at the begining & end ^ sould come. I have searched & found following link.
https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...-perl-awk.html

But when i execute the command given here, AWK is not supporting it.

Can some one help me?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim leading zero in certain column in a string

I would like to know how to trim leading zero only in certain column of of a string, example: hdhshdhdhd000012mmmm0002abc <===== before hdhshdhdhd 12mmmm 2abc <===== after Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dngo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim file

Hi, I have a 6G log , which is unusual to read and I want to minimize it by removing some part on the upper portion( around 4GB). what should i do? can you please help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim pathname of the file

I am capturing the files in a directory to an array. I have 2 arrays with list of files in two different directories. Both the directories are supposed to have the same number of files and filenames. I want to check that the same file exists in both the directories. After I capture the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim and pad a field in the middle of unix file

Hello, I have a file with several lines and I need to trim and pad with spaces the data that are between position 6 and 15 included. Data in position 1 to 5 and after 15 could be anything, and should stay as they are. For instance, the following records in a file (underscore = space)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim a string in unix shell script

I am reading a string like $/folder1/folder2/filename from a file And I am storing it in a variable say $path. I want to store the path within single quotes in order to use the path within a command. if i set like path="'"$path"'" echo $path It is printing like ' $/folder1/folder2/filename'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

right trim at end of file

Hi, I'have a file as below I need to replace the comma at the end of the file into ) as below Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in unix for variable

HI Guys I have written a script using awk to split a file based on some identifier and renaming the file based on two values from specific length. ts a fixed width file. When I am trying to fetch the values a = substr($0,11,10) b = substr($0,21,5); i am getting spaces in a and b values .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy a column to another column in UNIX fixedwidth file

Hi All, I have a fixedwidth file of length 3000. Now i want to copy a column of 4 chars i.e( length 1678-1681) to column 1127 – 1171 to the same file. Please let me know how can i achive using a single command in fixed width file. Also source column length is 4 chars and target column length... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranparsha
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to trim the file names?

How do i get the following output, irrespective of how many . 's i will have the file name. Input: FCBTexas_2013_12_31_16_V2.5_Masked.xml.filepart Output: FCBTexas_2013_12_31_16_V2.5_Masked.xml Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies
Bio::Graphics::Wiggle::Loader(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Bio::Graphics::Wiggle::Loader(3pm)

SYNOPSIS
my $loader = Bio::Graphics::Wiggle::Loader->new('/base/directory/for/wigfiles','wibfilename'); my $fh = IO::File->new('uploaded_file.txt'); $loader->load($fh); my $gff3_file = $loader->featurefile('gff3',$method,$source); my $featurefile = $loader->featurefile('featurefile'); USAGE
This module loads Bio::Graphics::Wiggle files from source files that use Jim Kent's "WIG" format: http://genome.ucsc.edu/google/goldenPath/help/wiggle.html Several data sets can be grouped together in a single WIG source file. The load() method accepts the path to a WIG source file, and will create one or more .wib ("wiggle binary") databases of quantitative data in the directory indicated when you created the loader. Call the featurefile() method to return a text file in either GFF3 or Bio::Graphics::FeatureFile format, suitable for loading into a gbrowse database. METHODS $loader = Bio::Graphics::Wiggle::Loader->new('/base/directory' [,'my_data']) Create a new loader. The first argument specifies the base directory in which the loaded .wib files will be created. The second argument specifies the base name for the created .wib files, or "track" if not specified. $loader->load($fh) Load the data from a source WIG file opened on a filehandle. $data = $loader->featurefile($type [,$method,$source]) Return the data corresponding to a GFF3 or Bio::Graphics::FeatureFile. The returned file will have one feature per WIG track, and a properly formatted "wigfile" attribute that directs Bio::Graphics to the location of the quantitative data. $type is one of "gff3" or "featurefile". In the case of "gff3", you may specify an optional method and source for use in describing each feature. In the case of "featurefile", the returned file will contain GBrowse stanzas that describe a reasonable starting format to display the data. $loader->allow_sampling(1) If allow_sampling() is passed a true value, then very large files (more than 5 MB) will undergo a sampling procedure to find their minimum and maximum values and standard deviation. Otherwise, file will be read in its entirety to generate those statistics. EXTENSIONS Several extensions to the WIG format "track" declaration are recognized. transform=<transform> Specify a transform to be performed on all numeric data within this track prior to loading into the binary wig file. Currently, the following three declarations are recognized: transform=logtransform y' = 0 for y == 0 y' = log(y) for y > 0 y' = -log(-y) for y < 0 transform=logsquared y' = log(y**2) for y != 0 y' = 0 for y == 0 transform=none y' = y (no transform - the default) trim=<trim> Specify a trimming function to be performed on the data prior to scaling. Currently, the following trim functions are recognized: trim=stdev1 trim to plus/minus 1 standard deviation of the mean trim=stdev2 trim to plus/minus 2 standard deviations of the mean (default) trim=stdevN trim to plus/minus N standard deviations of the mean trim=none no trimming Example entended track declaration: track type=wiggle_0 name="example" description="20 degrees, 2 hr" trim=stdev2 transform=logsquared SEE ALSO
Bio::Graphics::Wiggle, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::wiggle_xyplot, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::wiggle_density, Bio::Graphics::Panel, Bio::Graphics::Glyph, Bio::Graphics::Feature, Bio::Graphics::FeatureFile AUTHOR
Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org>. Copyright (c) 2007 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory This package and its accompanying libraries is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GPL (either version 1, or at your option, any later version) or the Artistic License 2.0. Refer to LICENSE for the full license text. In addition, please see DISCLAIMER.txt for disclaimers of warranty. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-20 Bio::Graphics::Wiggle::Loader(3pm)