Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Open Server Ethernet Printer
Operating Systems SCO Open Server Ethernet Printer Post 302276466 by moondogi on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 09:38:48 PM
Old 01-13-2009
Okey Dokey,
First up, I originally posted the question on my way out the door going home. Being in Australia, I thought the "brains trust" on the other side of the world could help me overnight.

Expecting the worst the next day with questions from the users about why the printer doesnt work - never came, the printer "fixed" itself overnight with no further problems since.

The Zebra is a strange beast, something that earns my respect.

I'm not sure whether this is a new install or a existing unit gone bad so this is what I'd do....

Install the printer on a "Windose" machine via Parallel and check that it actually works, these things do happen.
Then I'd check if it works via ethernet or serial. This clears any issues with conflicting IP address's. You will have to make a serial cable from scratch from the pc to the printer. The manual has examples of the wiring maps.

If you are going to connect the printer using a 8/16 port expansion board on the server, you are on your own. We had handshaking issues for years before we finally put the printer on a HP ethernet print server.

Last year, I asked the original vendor (who supplied the whole system 9 years ago) about installing a second Zebra - they refused with the reason that enhancements are not available.
It was then we heard that our "days are numbered" with Real World - apparently MS purchased the company and retired the product, thus forcing existing customers onto the MS server upgrade treadmill. Really annoys me - the system wasnt cheap to setup, its bullet proof on Unix and perfectly fits our needs.

Sorry I cant help anymore.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

SCO Open Server.

Dear All, I am considering installing SCO Open Server as an alternative to MS Exchange. Has anybody had any real world experience of using Open Office? Thanks, TC. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TCuk
1 Replies

2. SuSE

open SUSE 11.0 and its printer configuration

Does anybody who uses open SUSE 11.0? I have used open SUSE 10.2 for about 18 months. Today I installed open SUSE 11.0 The printer does not work. I tried all the tricks tweak it. My printer is an old one. It is HP Deskjet 5600 series. It works fine. I did the configuration using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Angelo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open a socket on a server

Hello, I want to test a firewall rule between 2 servers A & B. I need a command that will open a socket on the server A such as: themagiccommand MyPort And on the client server B, i will run the command telnet IP_serverA Myport Can you help me ? Thank you Gunther (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunbol
0 Replies

4. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To print directly from the remote server to a local printer.

Hello Guys Is there any way To print a file directly from the remote server to a local printer.. ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

[RHEL4.5] server shutdown when I unplug the ethernet cable

hi.. I unplug my eth0 lan cable.. and suddenly my system shutdown... no idea :eek::confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies

7. AIX

Idenity no of ethernet cards on the server

How can I identify how many ethernet adapter cards I have on the server from the below ouput ? $>lsdev -Cc adapter | grep ent ent0 Available 06-08 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14106902) ent1 Available 07-08 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902) ent2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 Server with 2 ethernet cards IP on seperate network. Possible?

Hi All, I have just setup a webserver running on a linux box. This server has 2 ethernet cards and only 1 is in used now. eg. 192.168.10.1 is my server IP. All users from 192.168.10.X can access my webserver. However, users from another LAN 10.10.10.X are not able to access my webserver. They... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackma
0 Replies

9. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Printer problem on Solaris 10 server

Hi everyone, I am new here and I just want to ask for the expert advice from you guys about the problem/issue I am encountering with network printer defined on a Solaris 10 machine. I have this printer named 'printerA' which I already added via printmgr utility. As an output, here is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: triptrops
4 Replies
enable(1)							   User Commands							 enable(1)

NAME
enable, disable - enable/disable LP printers SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/enable printer... /usr/bin/disable [-c | -W] [ -r [reason]] printer... DESCRIPTION
The enable command activates printers, enabling them to print requests submitted by the lp command. enable must be run on the printer server. The disable command deactivates printers, disabling them from printing requests submitted by the lp command. By default, any requests that are currently printing on printer will be reprinted in their entirety either on printer or another member of the same class of printers. The disable command must be run on the print server. Use lpstat -p to check the status of printers. enable and disable only effect queueing on the print server's spooling system. Executing these commands from a client system will have no effect on the server. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for use with disable: -c Cancels any requests that are currently printing on printer. This option cannot be used with the -W option. If the printer is remote, the -c option will be silently ignored. -W Waits until the request currently being printed is finished before disabling printer. This option cannot be used with the -c option. If the printer is remote, the -W option will be silently ignored. -r [reason] Assigns a reason for the disabling of the printer(s). This reason applies to all printers specified. This reason is reported by lpstat -p. Enclose reason in quotes if it contains blanks. The default reason is "unknown reason" for the existing printer, and "new printer" for a printer added to the system but not yet enabled. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported for both enable and disable: printer The name of the printer to be enabled or disabled. Specify printer using atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding the naming conventions for atomic names. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/var/spool/lp/* LP print queue. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lp(1), lpstat(1), printers.conf(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 1996 enable(1)