Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Virtualization and Cloud Computing Virtualization and physical resources Post 302276394 by Padow on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 03:14:16 PM
Old 01-13-2009
Sometimes we do micropartitioning in our production and failover environments, sometimes the partitions are on seperate hosts.

It's really my preference to have relating DB/App severs on the same host. This way we can create virtual network devices and any app-DB communication can be done via the backplane rather than over the physical network. The real setback for using this strategy is cost. It generally will cost less to buy 2 systems with half the memory than 1 with double the memory. This is slightly less of a problem with Power 6 as IBM has added additional RAM slots per module.

When we get into the VIO type of virtualization, we keep that to our development and QA environments. If we put that into production I'd spend half of every week on conference calls determining who is slowing who else down, or proving that it isn't happening.
Padow

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

3. Solaris

List all resources on physical host LDOM server

Hello, I have a SUN T5240 running Solaris 10 with Logical Domain Manager (v 1.0.3). You can use the "ldm" command to display current resources on the box. Is there away to display all the "physical resources" on the box(i.e.,used and unused). For example, "ldm ls" will tell me what the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephanpitts
5 Replies

4. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat Virtualization 2.2

Hi Friends, Is there any one who is working on Redhat Virtualization (RHEV -- KVM)? Regards, Arumon (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
4 Replies

6. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Virtualization problems

Hi everyone. Last week we have some hardware problems in our Unixware 7 server, and i decided to change this physical machine into a virtual machine. The scenario is: architecture=IA32 bus_types=PCI2.10,ISA,PnP1.0 hostname=tecsup2uw.tecsupaqp.edu hw_provider=Generic AT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danilosevilla
1 Replies

7. Solaris

svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ n

After a memory upgrade all network interfaces are misconfigued. How do i resolve this issue. Below are some out puts.thanks. ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig eg1000g0:2 plumb ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg1000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersonedouard
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Virtualization options for HP-UX 11.31

Hello, I am looking for a virtualization option for HP-UX that will allow VMs to run completely independent of each other with full Operating System capabilities (not a guest OS with limited features/access), with their own IP addresses and dedicated resources that will not interfere with any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

10. Solaris

solaris virtualization

Hi everyone, I have ten servers with solaris (diffrent versions). there is solaris 10, solaris 6 and solaris 8. some are SPARC and some are x86 I would like to move them to one server so they all will be virtual. Is it possible? how? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bregtux
4 Replies
HYPER-V(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						HYPER-V(4)

NAME
hv_vmbus -- Hyper-V Virtual Machine Bus (VMBus) Driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in the system kernel configuration file: device hyperv DESCRIPTION
The hv_vmbus provides a high performance communication interface between guest and root partitions in Hyper-V. Hyper-V is a hypervisor-based virtualization technology from Microsoft. Hyper-V supports isolation in terms of a partition. A partition is a logical unit of isolation, supported by the hypervisor, in which operating systems execute. The Microsoft hypervisor must have at least one parent, or root, partition, running Windows Server operating system. The virtualization stack runs in the parent partition and has direct access to the hardware devices. The root partition then creates the child partitions which host the guest operating systems. Child partitions do not have direct access to other hardware resources and are presented a virtual view of the resources, as virtual devices (VDevs). Requests to the virtual devices are redirected either via the VMBus or the hypervisor to the devices in the parent partition, which handles the requests. The VMBus is a logical inter-partition communication channel. The parent partition hosts Virtualization Service Providers (VSPs) which com- municate over the VMBus to handle device access requests from child partitions. Child partitions host Virtualization Service Consumers (VSCs) which redirect device requests to VSPs in the parent partition via the VMBus. The Hyper-V VMBus driver defines and implements the interface that facilitate high performance bi-directional communication between the VSCs and VSPs. All VSCs utilize the VMBus driver. SEE ALSO
hv_ata_pci_disengage(4), hv_netvsc(4), hv_storvsc(4), hv_utils(4) HISTORY
Support for hv_vmbus first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. The driver was developed through a joint effort between Citrix Incorporated, Microsoft Corporation, and Network Appliance Incorporated. AUTHORS
FreeBSD support for hv_vmbus was first added by Microsoft BSD Integration Services Team <bsdic@microsoft.com>. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD