Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Write/read to file descriptors Post 302276293 by Corona688 on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 12:03:56 PM
Old 01-13-2009
You can write to stdin all you want, it just won't work. If you want it to do anything meaningful you have to reopen stdin as something you can write to.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read and write to very same file

This is likely to be a dumb one. How can I use sed to substitute string occurances having it read from an input file and write to this very same file ? I have a file with lots of occurances of '2006', I want to change it to '2007', but I'd like these changes to be saved on the input file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write from a file

I have tried to show the file name whose size is greater than 200 byte in current directory. Please help me. ls -l | tr -s " " " " | cut -f 5,9 -d " " >out.txt #set -a x `cat out.txt` i=0 `cat out.txt` | while do read x echo $x #re=200 j=0 if }" < "200" ] then echo $j j=`expr $j... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/write file with scripting

Is there any way to write to a text file with scripting? I need to write to a text file two lines of text for the amount of files in the current directory. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Goldman
9 Replies

4. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write to xml file

hi i am quite new to shell scripting and need help in reading and writing in xml file i have an xml file with format: <main> <store> <name>ABC</name> <flag>0</flag> <size>123<size> </store> <store> <name>DEF</name> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read / write file exemples

hello world, i was looking for exemples for writing ans reading in / from a file, more exactly a text file; and how i'm only at very beagining, if anyone have some exemples very simple, very 'classic' , -with explications- and not hard to undersand . i was wondering that some of you are theacher... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unumai
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Read and Write

I have got a file in following format: AAAAAAA BBBBBBBB CCCCCCC DDDDDDD I am trying to read this file and out put it in following format: AAAAAAA,BBBBBBB,CCCCCCC,DDDDDD Preferred method is shell or Perl. Any help appreciated. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Araoki
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and write in the file

Hello Guys, How all are doing? I have an issue in Unix and want help from all of you I have a file in UNIX which it read by line by line , If at the end of line '0' is written the it should fetch that line into another file and change '0' to '1' and If at the end of line '1' is written then it... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl write and read on same file

Hi, I am trying to do a write operation followed by a read operation on the same file through Perl, expecting the output produced by read to contain the new lines added, as follows: #! /usr/bin/perl -w open FH, "+< testfile" or die "$@"; print FH "New content added\n"; while (my $line =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read loop from two files using descriptors

What I would like to do is read each line in the atdinfile: A sample atdinfile would look like this: 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 664 665 666 667 668 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
GIT-HASH-OBJECT(1)						    Git Manual							GIT-HASH-OBJECT(1)

NAME
git-hash-object - Compute object ID and optionally creates a blob from a file SYNOPSIS
git hash-object [-t <type>] [-w] [--path=<file>|--no-filters] [--stdin [--literally]] [--] <file>... git hash-object [-t <type>] [-w] --stdin-paths [--no-filters] DESCRIPTION
Computes the object ID value for an object with specified type with the contents of the named file (which can be outside of the work tree), and optionally writes the resulting object into the object database. Reports its object ID to its standard output. This is used by git cvsimport to update the index without modifying files in the work tree. When <type> is not specified, it defaults to "blob". OPTIONS
-t <type> Specify the type (default: "blob"). -w Actually write the object into the object database. --stdin Read the object from standard input instead of from a file. --stdin-paths Read file names from the standard input, one per line, instead of from the command-line. --path Hash object as it were located at the given path. The location of file does not directly influence on the hash value, but path is used to determine what Git filters should be applied to the object before it can be placed to the object database, and, as result of applying filters, the actual blob put into the object database may differ from the given file. This option is mainly useful for hashing temporary files located outside of the working directory or files read from stdin. --no-filters Hash the contents as is, ignoring any input filter that would have been chosen by the attributes mechanism, including the end-of-line conversion. If the file is read from standard input then this is always implied, unless the --path option is given. --literally Allow --stdin to hash any garbage into a loose object which might not otherwise pass standard object parsing or git-fsck checks. Useful for stress-testing Git itself or reproducing characteristics of corrupt or bogus objects encountered in the wild. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-HASH-OBJECT(1)