Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture Shell Script Output To A File Post 302276262 by rajan_san on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 11:07:47 AM
Old 01-13-2009
Hi,

The above exec command worked.. Thanks...

What are the commands if we would like to see the output on stdout as well as log to file. Because in case of exec the output is not being shown in the terminal.

Thanks an Kind Regards,
Rajan.S

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output from interactive script

I have written a menu driven script to walk users through bringing up and down an application process. Sometimes the user tells me the script does not work taking the application down, but he can't recall seeing an error message. Is there a way to capture std out and stderr out from an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture output to file and printer

Hi All : I wanted a unix command by which I could be able to print the output to a file and at the same time to a printer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Ramamurthy Dasari (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdasari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capture shell output in cron entry

Hey all, I'm running scripts from cron and I want to capture the output from the 1 file handle. Ex. * * * * * /test.sh 1>test.log. I also want to append a formatted date to the file. * * * * /test.sh 1>test.log_date +%m%d%y but I keep keep getting the output as if I had just added the date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve72
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to capture certain output

Hi All, I want to create a script that capture only Date & Time, Current CPU % usage, Disk % usage, Mem % usage and Top process based on this output; Data Collected: 05/17/08 17:19:49 Refresh Interval: 600 seconds GlancePlus Started/Reset: 05/17/08 08:19:45 B3692A GlancePlus... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture output of file and send last string thereof to new file

Hello, If I run a program from within shell, the output is displayed in the command line terminal. Is there a way I can capture that output and choose only the very last string in it to send it to a new file? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lorna
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture snoop output

Hi Everyone :), Need your advice as I'm new to UNIX scripting.. I'm trying to write a script to capture snoop output for 5 minutes for every hour for 24 hours. To stop snoop, I need to press Control-C to break it. This is what I got so far, but now I'm stuck! :confused: The script: # cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faraaris
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture output to log file

Hi I have a script that will run multiple unix & sql commands. I want to see the output as well as capture it to a log file for further analysis. Is there an easy way to do that instead of adding "tee -a logfile" on everyline or even on the execute line (i.e. script | tee -s logfile). Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want ro capture the debug in output file

I want to capture the debug for the below command in output file . i tried like this but its not working: sh -xv <scriptname> >> output.log i want the output in a log file. Anyone plz help in this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakkaravarthy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output from expect script

Hi I am new to Expect scripting. I have to connect to a remote server and capture the output. Here I need output of " send "list registered\r"" to be stored in a file. but after execution, /tmp/capture.txt is of 0 byte #!/usr/bin/expect spawn ssh abc@10.10.10.10 -p 5022 expect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bns928
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to Dynamically Pass Parameter to plsql Function & Capture its Output Value in a Shell Variable?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: #! /bin/ksh v="ORG_ID" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujitdas2104
2 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)