Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem in /var/log/messages and /usr/bin/last Post 302276255 by thakshina on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 10:52:15 AM
Old 01-13-2009
thanx now working fine, am using redhat el5

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. Linux

Problem with /usr/bin

I installed an application in this location /root/jython and I added a link to the /usr/bin because i want everyone on the system to be able to execute this ln -s /root/jython/jython jython I can execute this anywhere when i am logged in as root but when i change user to say juju it returns ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oyesiji
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with /usr/bin/cd command

Hi , My shell script doesnt function properly while executing. My shell script has the below mentioned code in it. #!/bin/sh CD="/usr/bin/cd" .. .. $CD / .. .. main intention behind giving the $CD / is to replace the cd command with /usr/bin/cd at the time of program execution. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem creating sol8 container using seperate / /usr and /var ufsdumps

Hello experts New to solaris 8 containers and zones in general and I'm having some problems creating a Solaris 8 container using ufsdumps of /, /usr and /var. I have created the zone which worked fine and a running the following command. zoneadm -z zone_s8 install -v -p -a /root.ufs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrokeIt
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Execution problem with "/usr/dt/bin/sdtdbcache

On a SunOS Solaris 5.5.1 workstation, the /usr/dt/bin/sdtdbcache –init command lasts more than 20 minutes. This command is executed by the /usr/dt/bin/Xsession script during an user connection. Please refrain from using subjects like "HELP ME!..." to get more/faster attention and also please do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ricadom
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
IPSEC_BARF(8)							Executable programs						     IPSEC_BARF(8)

NAME
ipsec_barf - spew out collected IPsec debugging information SYNOPSIS
ipsec barf [--short --maxlines <100>] DESCRIPTION
Barf outputs (on standard output) a collection of debugging information (contents of files, selections from logs, etc.) related to the IPsec encryption/authentication system. It is primarily a convenience for remote debugging, a single command which packages up (and labels) all information that might be relevant to diagnosing a problem in IPsec. The --short option limits the length of the log portion of barf's output, which can otherwise be extremely voluminous if debug logging is turned on. --maxlines <100> option sets the length of some bits of information, currently netstat -rn. Useful on boxes where the routing table is thousands of lines long. Default is 100. Barf censors its output, replacing keys and secrets with brief checksums to avoid revealing sensitive information. Beware that the output of both commands is aimed at humans, not programs, and the output format is subject to change without warning. Barf has to figure out which files in /var/log contain the IPsec log messages. It looks for KLIPS and general log messages first in messages and syslog, and for Pluto messages first in secure, auth.log, and debug. In both cases, if it does not find what it is looking for in one of those "likely" places, it will resort to a brute-force search of most (non-compressed) files in /var/log. FILES
/proc/net/* /var/log/* /etc/ipsec.conf /etc/ipsec.secrets HISTORY
Written for the Linux FreeS/WAN project <http://www.freeswan.org> by Henry Spencer. BUGS
Barf uses heuristics to try to pick relevant material out of the logs, and relevant messages which are not labelled with any of the tags that barf looks for will be lost. We think we've eliminated the last such case, but one never knows... Finding updown scripts (so they can be included in output) is, in general, difficult. Barf uses a very simple heuristic that is easily fooled. The brute-force search for the right log files can get expensive on systems with a lot of clutter in /var/log. AUTHOR
Paul Wouters placeholder to suppress warning libreswan 12/16/2012 IPSEC_BARF(8)