Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking /etc/hosts changes when ifconfig...... Post 302276237 by trutoman on Tuesday 13th of January 2009 10:09:14 AM
Old 01-13-2009
Changing permission of /etc/hosts it doesnt work.
And with system-config-network, the graphical tool, it doesn't work......

Always i activate or desactivate a interface my /etc/hosts is cleared :-(

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig

I am trying to change an IP address on a machine running HPUX10 After I change it I can ping it from the outside but it completely locks the console. After a reboot it returns back to its previous IP. Any ideas?? Thanks Brian (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
7 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

ifconfig

Hi, I type (as root) "ifconfig en1 ether aa:aa: " but it doesnt change the mac of my airport. Can anyone help me? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifconfig!!!!

why the ifconfig command is not working in my machine? it says "-bash: ifconfig: command not found" why its says that? actually i m looking for "how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address?" Requesting u all for help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
3 Replies

6. Solaris

ifconfig -a not working

Hi All, I logged into a sun microsystems server box, using both a vnc session and a ssh session. I am able to use "ifconfig -a" in a ssh session, but the same on a vnc session says that its a invalid command. how is this possible, when i am logging into the same box through two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pardhuhere
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

ifconfig modification

Hi all,,i have problem with my homework form my lecture.. He is give me a homework to create: ifconfig eth0 0.255.255.255 1.1.168.192 my lecture says, i can making the shell scripting to finish my homework.. i have question, can setting ifconfig like in the upper? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: demhyt
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ifconfig Flags

Hi there, I need your help in understanding the below Solaris 10 ifconfig output; athnetspns02>ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 e1000g0:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies

9. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
ip6_setup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      ip6_setup(8)

NAME
ip6_setup - IPv6 configuration program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ip6_setup DESCRIPTION
The ip6_setup utility allows you to configure the IPv6 networking software on your system. To run ip6_setup, enter the following command and then answer the questions: # ip6_setup You must know your Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) address. If your network uses subnet routing, you must know the subnet mask for your network. The network manager should be able to provide you with the information that you need. After the ip6_setup command completes, the network services on the system can be restarted manually with the following command: # /usr/sbin/rcinet restart Before you restart the network services with the preceding command, warn the users that the network services on the system are being removed. File systems that were not mounted using the /etc/fstab file or the automount command must be unmounted with the unmount command. You must remount these file systems using the mount command after the network is started on your system. Alternatively, you can reboot the system with the following command: # /usr/sbin/shutdown -r now FILES
Specifies the host name file. Specifies the environment variables that define the network configuration on your system. Specifies the trusted hosts file. Specifies the network name file. Specifies Internet routing information. Specifies Internet routing information. SEE ALSO
Commands: mount(8), rcinet(8) Files: gateways(4), hosts(4), hosts.equiv(4), networks(4), routes(4). Network Administration ip6_setup(8)