Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using flag inside a for loop to check condition Post 302275974 by codeman007 on Monday 12th of January 2009 06:33:02 PM
Old 01-12-2009
using flag inside a for loop to check condition

I have a logic like this
It initializes the flag variable as "T" at the beginning of the loop everytime
Inside each loop it checks for two conditions and updates the flag variable as "A" or "B"
In the end of the loop it checks for the value of the variable flag for "A" or "B" and execute different steps
This is not working as expected.What is the scope of the flag variable??

for filename in `<command will get list of files>`
do
flag="T"
if [ <checks for a condition A> ]
then
echo "Correct"
else
flag="A"
fi
if [ <checks for a condition B> ]
then
echo "Correct"
else
flag="B"
fi

if [[ flag == "A" || flag == "B" ]]
then
echo " Do nothing "
else
echo "Execute steps for flag T"
fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for a condition inside a file

Hi I am writing a script file which sends the log files along with their size in a folder named log to a file called temp.log using the following cmd: ls -st 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026** >> /home/user/temp.log the temp.log looks like this: 16 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026_message070321.log ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking condition inside the loop

Hi all, I have one clarification i am using the loop which will process for each record .suppose there is f ailure in the first record it need to send mail and process the next .my code: defcount=`cat <filename>|wc -l` while ] do if <some condiotion> then echo "mail" fi done so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

condition inside a for loop

I have a for loop in my script as shown below. for file_path in $file_list ; do ........my code .......... ...... done Can i restrict the number of files parsing to the variable file_path as 50? That is, even if I have some 100 files in file_list, I need to take only 50 files for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay06
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh if loop variable condition check peroblem

Hi, I have variables like var1 var2 var3 var4 in if loop i am trying to check the condition if(variable == "var") then echo $variable endif (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHILE LOOP CONDITION CHECK

Hello I want to compare values of two variables as CHECK condition in a while loop. eg: var1=0 var2=10 while do echo " $var1 " var1=`expr $var1 + 1` done However this is giving error.How to do it in a proper manner? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check condition inside the loop

Hi, I am in trouble. I can get inside my condition test inside a loop : I am in ksh (solaris) while read file do <commande to retrieve file> >> ${LOG_RETRIEVE_FILE.log} msg_err=$(cat ${LOG_RETRIEVE_FILE.log} | grep "error retrieve") if ; then <sendmail> exit 1 fi done I tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting up a flag inside awk

Hi unix gurus.... i need to set a flag inside awk. i tried many methods for that but couldn't succeed :( like echo "flag= " $flag echo "flag= " ${flag} and so...but not able to show the flag. help me out. i'm using a if condition inside awk... help me out with correct syntax to set a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check two condition in while loop

Hi, I Have to check two condition in while loop every 2 minutes. while loop is accompanied with number of times it will check.Please help in putting the two condition in while loop as appropriate. z= input value, A=1 while do 1.check the file output,if the file output is N then keep on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies
mktemp(1)							   User Commands							 mktemp(1)

NAME
mktemp - make temporary filename SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-dtqu] [-p directory] [template] DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility makes a temporay filename. To do this, mktemp takes the specified filename template and overwrites a portion of it to create a unique filename. See OPERANDS. The template is passed to mktemp(3C) for directories or mkstemp(3C) for ordinary files. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique filename, the file (or directory) is created with file permissions such that it is only read- able and writable by its owner (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. mktemp allows shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the PID as a suffix and used that as a temporary filename. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this guaran- tees that a temporary file is not subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. Use mktemp instead. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -p directory Use the specified directory as a prefix when generating the temporary filename. The directory is overridden by the user's TMPDIR environment variable if it is set.This option implies the -t flag. -q Fail silently if an error occurs.This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t Generate a path rooted in a temporary directory. This directory is chosen as follows: If the user's TMPDIR environ- ment variable is set, the directory contained therein is used. Otherwise, if the -p flag was given the specified directory is used. If none of the above apply, /tmp is used. In this mode, the template (if specified) should be a directory component (as opposed to a full path) and thus should not contain any forward slashes. -u Operate in unsafe mode. The temp file is unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3C), but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is discouraged. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: template template can be any filename with one or more Xs appended to it, for example /tmp/tfile.XXXXXX. If template is not specified, a default of tmp.XXXXXX is used and the -t flag is implied. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using mktemp The following example illustrates a simple use of mktemp in a sh(1) script. In this example, the script quits if it cannot get a safe tem- porary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 2: Using mktemp to Support TMPDIR The following example uses mktemp to support for a user's TMPDIR environment variable: TMPFILE=`mktemp -t example.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 3: Using mktemp Without Specifying the Name of the Temporary File The following example uses mktemp without specifying the name of the temporary file. In this case the -t flag is implied. TMPFILE=`mktemp` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 4: Using mktemp with a Default Temporary Directory Other than /tmp The following example creates the temporary file in /extra/tmp unless the user's TMPDIR environment variable specifies otherwise: TMPFILE=`mktemp -p /extra/tmp example.XXXXX` if [ -z "$TMPFILE" ]; then exit 1; fi echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE Example 5: Using mktemp to Remove a File The following example attempts to create two temporary files. If creation of the second temporary file fails, mktemp removes the first file before exiting: TMP1=`mktemp -t example.1.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP1" ]; then exit 1; fi TMP2=`mktemp -t example.2.XXXXXX` if [ -z "$TMP2" ]; then rm -f $TMP1 exit 1 fi Example 6: Using mktemp The following example does not exit if mktemp is unable to create the file. That part of the script has been protected. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q -t example.XXXXXX` if [ ! -z "$TMPFILE" ] then # Safe to use $TMPFILE in this block echo data > $TMPFILE ... rm -f $TMPFILE fi ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mktemp with the -t option: TMPDIR. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), mkstemp(3C), mktemp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. The Solaris implementation uses only as many `Xs' as are significant for mktemp(3C) and mkstemp(3C). SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2004 mktemp(1)