Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help understanding script command Post 302275964 by KGee on Monday 12th of January 2009 05:18:50 PM
Old 01-12-2009
Thanks Ikon for helping clarify. I knew it was supposed to be looking for files that have changed, I was just curious to learn a little behind the syntax for my own understanding. I took a Linux course a number of years back and can remember using the cat and grep commands, among a few others.

If you don't mind, what do the \* -exec ls -l {} \; and -v " 200" part of the command specify? I saw online that "ls -l" is used to list directory contents in long list format and found something on "-exec" and the "-v" switch for grep, but I'm not sure I understand fully they mean. I'm guessing the output files might be of help, but I haven't received them as of yet.

Thanks again.

Kevin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Understanding a Unix Command

Trying to install something. Can someone explain what this means? chmod -R a+r . chmod -R a+w logo.gif tempdir/ templates_c/ I recognize that file permissions are being changed (chmod), but beyond that, it's Greek to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris86
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in understanding this command

Hi All, I search the forum for my query, Glad that got solution to it. But i really want to understand how does this command work. sed -e ':a' -e 's/\("*\),\(*"\)/\1~\2/;ta' Basically it is replacing all the comma(,) characters in between quotes with a tilde. Specially what does ':a' ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding the kill command

Hi Guys, I like to know if i have a process which triggers 10 different child processes. How to identify out of the 11 processes running which is the parent process and what are the child process? And if i kill the parent process will the child process be killed.. if not is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding the output command

Could you please explain me whats happening in the below code, appreciate your help, Thank you. /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/ExtProc/NewDAC/dacRecBuilder.sh /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/TgtFiles/NEW_DAC/DAC_Pos_TradeInv_Records.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding 'find' command

I want to understand what does this command do:confused::confused: find . \( -type f -o -type 1 \) Plz someone explain me ! Thanks much in advance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sears
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding nm command output

After running nm command on any object file from out put can we get to know that wheather a symbol is a call to a function or definition of function ? I am searching a class and function definitions inside many .so files. I have 3 files which contain the symbol but I don't know wheather they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatrik007
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding sed command

Hi Friends, I need a small help in understanding the below sed command. $ cat t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init 1 root 1 58 0 888K 368K sleep 4:06 0.00% init last $ sed 's/*$//' t4.txt 1 root 1 58 0 888K ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help understanding what this ls -l command is checking in a script

Hello, we have a script that has the two following lines: ssh -qno StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o ConnectTimeout=1 user@IP 'ls -l /home/opsmgrsvc >/dev/null 2>&1' > /dev/null 2>&1 status="$(echo $?)" I can't understand what these two lines are doing? When I execute the first line nothing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
6 Replies
asadmin-list-admin-objects(1AS) 				   User Commands				   asadmin-list-admin-objects(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-list-admin-objects, list-admin-objects - gets all the administered objects SYNOPSIS
list-admin-objects --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] Lists all the administered objects. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. Example 1: Using list-admin-objects asadmin> list-admin-objects --user admin --password admin123 Command list-admin-objects executed successfully EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-admin-object(1AS), asadmin-delete-admin-object(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-list-admin-objects(1AS)