Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Identify IBM P55A and P55Q
Operating Systems AIX Identify IBM P55A and P55Q Post 302275944 by bakunin on Monday 12th of January 2009 03:37:38 PM
Old 01-12-2009
@padow: it doesn't hurt too much to expound a little, does it? I do appreciate your expertise here and i am glad that you are willing to share it, but if you are really interested in helping others you have to present your help in a way that makes it useful to them. "Just saying no" might be a viable approach when it comes to drugs, but definitely not in advancing AIX knowledge. Thanks for your consideration.

Back to the problem:

You seem to confuse the model of a machine and the processor type. A "model" is a complete computer, not necessarily different in terms of processors from another model. Maybe the one is rack-mounted, the other one a deskside system, etc..

If you want to find out everything there is about the processor use the command "lsattr -El proc0". You can also try "lscfg -vp -l proc0". (On really old machines you might have to use "cpucard0" instead of "proc0" as device identifier.)

Maybe you could lay out your problem in greater detail so we might find a solution for you.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

identify hardware

Does anyone know a good script/tool for remote identification of hardware on a linux-based system (RH9/NLD) ? I'd like to know all the specifics like amount of memory, motherboard vendor, chipset and so on.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrickb
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify function

Does anyone know a shell command that identifies the functions from a C file? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinfinity
7 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

identify this mobo

I have an old mobo (socket 7) which in a former life was used in a hotel room computer. What I want to know is if anyone knows of a company that used/uses the following boot screen: now from here on I get a infinite amount of 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04 04.............. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowFish@ubuntu
0 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

IBM Scheduler for High Throughput Computing on IBM Blue Gene P

A lightweight scheduler that supports high-throughput computing (HTC) applications on Blue Gene/P. (NEW: 06/12/2008 in grid) More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

5. AIX

to identify failed pv

Hi friends,.... am sindhiya, i have joined as AIX level 1 support. help me to identify the failed pv in vg which has some 4 physical volumes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sindhiya
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To identify process

i want a command to display all the process running for partical user and in all process i want to see only particular process details.. pls suggest comand like ps -ef (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Babu154
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to identify files

Hi, I have one problem. I want to identify all those files which are named according to the format <name>_<date>. I have tried using awk and grep in bash but i m not able to get it correct. Can someone please help? It's urgent !! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: udayan_goswami
10 Replies

8. AIX

IBM AIX on IBM Eseries & x series server

Hi, I want to know whether IBM AIX can be installed on the IBM e series and x series server hardware? Thanks & Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help about identify the SP of my OS (Aix5.3)

Hi, I need to know how can I identify, wich SP is installed in my OS (AIX5.3)? and how can I upgrade it? thanks a lot, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdeivis
7 Replies

10. AIX

IBM Virtual Machine OS on intel x86 and x64? IBM AIX OS on IBM Virtual Machine?

Hi There, I have zero information and zero knowledge for IBM virtual machine except Amazon cloud and VMware ESXi (Only Linux OS available). Anyone could provide me the following answer - Can IBM VM been deploy on X86 and X64 (Intel Chip)? If answer is yes any chance to deploy AIX OS... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenyung
13 Replies
VPDDECODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      VPDDECODE(8)

NAME
vpddecode - VPD structure decoder SYNOPSIS
vpddecode [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
vpddecode prints the "vital product data" information that can be found in almost all IBM and Lenovo computers. Available items are: o BIOS Build ID o Box Serial Number o Motherboard Serial Number o Machine Type/Model Some systems have these additional items: o BIOS Release Date o Default Flash Image File Name Note that these additional items are not documented by IBM, so this is guess work, and as such should not be blindly trusted. Feedback about the accuracy of these labels is welcome. OPTIONS
-d, --dev-mem FILE Read memory from device FILE (default: /dev/mem) -s, --string KEYWORD Only display the value of the VPD string identified by KEYWORD. KEYWORD must be a keyword from the following list: bios-build-id, box-serial-number, motherboard-serial-number, machine-type-model, bios-release-date. Each keyword corresponds to an offset and a length within the VPD record. Not all strings may be defined on all VPD-enabled systems. If KEYWORD is not provided or not valid, a list of all valid keywords is printed and vpddecode exits with an error. This option cannot be used more than once. Mutually exclusive with --dump. -u, --dump Do not decode the VPD records, dump their contents as hexadecimal instead. Note that this is still a text output, no binary data will be thrown upon you. ASCII equivalent is displayed when possible. This option is mainly useful for debugging. Mutually exclu- sive with --string. -h, --help Display usage information and exit -V, --version Display the version and exit FILES
/dev/mem AUTHOR
Jean Delvare SEE ALSO
biosdecode(8), dmidecode(8), mem(4), ownership(8) dmidecode February 2007 VPDDECODE(8)