Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping embedded variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping embedded variables Post 302275935 by Ikon on Monday 12th of January 2009 02:50:41 PM
Old 01-12-2009
Code:
# DATE="last tuesday"
# CMD="date --date=\"+$DATE\""
# eval $CMD

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping '*' in Bash

I have the following situation ============ export DirectoryName=/tmp/xyz if ; then some_new_env=$DirectoryName"/*" ======================= I tried all the ways of escaping the '*', but still the shell seems to expand the '*' character. I want some_new_env to contain "/tmp/xyz/*" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkshukla14
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping single quote

hi, echo 'abc' will give output abc how can i get output as 'abc' plz help. thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping backslash

I have a variable containt something like this, c:\mask\mask. How can I escape "\" in the values? I want the value as it it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special characters

I want to append the following line to /var/spool/cron/root: */7 * * * * /root/'Linux CPU (EDF).sh' > /dev/null 2>&1 How to accomplish this using echo? ---------- Post updated at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ---------- "Linux CPU (EDF)" is actually stored in a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping comma with \ in file

Hi, I have pipe delimited file in which some of the description fields can have commas. e.g. 1|123|abc,def 2|456|qwert 3|345|aty,try,rty I need to convert this to a 'csv' file BUT i need to add \ before every comma present in the description values (so that my next program can read it as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping ** correctly

Hello This should be easy, but bash is giving me headaches. At the command line the following command works: duplicity --include /home --exclude '**' / file:///foo Doing that from a script is not straightforward. Note that it is basically a requirement that I place the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping '

I'm cleaning this from some html files style='' but when I try 's/style=\'\''//' I get an unmatched ' error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping path

Hi I use : path=/var/www/admin echo "$path" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g' this return \/var\/www\/admin and is ok. but path2=`echo "$path" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g'` echo $path2 return an error: sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to `s' Can anyone help me? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgian
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping the \

So I understand that I should be able to ouput a literal \ by escaping it with a preceding \. My problem is that I am trying to ouput a script that will subsequently be run on a different system with UNC pathing, so I want to ouput two \\ in a row, but escaping them both in sequential order is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JourneyRider
4 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)