Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping embedded variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping embedded variables Post 302275934 by vertigo23 on Monday 12th of January 2009 02:46:57 PM
Old 01-12-2009
That just runs "date" immediately and sticks the output into the variable CMD. I want to be able to craft a longer command out of several variables, and then run it multiple times.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping '*' in Bash

I have the following situation ============ export DirectoryName=/tmp/xyz if ; then some_new_env=$DirectoryName"/*" ======================= I tried all the ways of escaping the '*', but still the shell seems to expand the '*' character. I want some_new_env to contain "/tmp/xyz/*" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkshukla14
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping single quote

hi, echo 'abc' will give output abc how can i get output as 'abc' plz help. thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeed7
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping backslash

I have a variable containt something like this, c:\mask\mask. How can I escape "\" in the values? I want the value as it it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swmk
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping Special characters

I want to append the following line to /var/spool/cron/root: */7 * * * * /root/'Linux CPU (EDF).sh' > /dev/null 2>&1 How to accomplish this using echo? ---------- Post updated at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ---------- "Linux CPU (EDF)" is actually stored in a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping comma with \ in file

Hi, I have pipe delimited file in which some of the description fields can have commas. e.g. 1|123|abc,def 2|456|qwert 3|345|aty,try,rty I need to convert this to a 'csv' file BUT i need to add \ before every comma present in the description values (so that my next program can read it as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping ** correctly

Hello This should be easy, but bash is giving me headaches. At the command line the following command works: duplicity --include /home --exclude '**' / file:///foo Doing that from a script is not straightforward. Note that it is basically a requirement that I place the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping '

I'm cleaning this from some html files style='' but when I try 's/style=\'\''//' I get an unmatched ' error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping path

Hi I use : path=/var/www/admin echo "$path" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g' this return \/var\/www\/admin and is ok. but path2=`echo "$path" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g'` echo $path2 return an error: sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to `s' Can anyone help me? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgian
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping the \

So I understand that I should be able to ouput a literal \ by escaping it with a preceding \. My problem is that I am trying to ouput a script that will subsequently be run on a different system with UNC pathing, so I want to ouput two \\ in a row, but escaping them both in sequential order is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JourneyRider
4 Replies
TEXI2DVI(1)							   User Commands						       TEXI2DVI(1)

NAME
texi2dvi - print Texinfo documents SYNOPSIS
texi2dvi [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Run each Texinfo or LaTeX FILE through TeX in turn until all cross-references are resolved, building all indices. The directory containing each FILE is searched for included files. The suffix of FILE is used to determine its language (LaTeX or Texinfo). Makeinfo is used to perform Texinfo macro expansion before running TeX when needed. Operation modes: -b, --batch no interaction -c, --clean remove all auxiliary files -D, --debug turn on shell debugging (set -x) -h, --help display this help and exit successfully -o, --output=OFILE leave output in OFILE (implies --clean); Only one input FILE may be specified in this case -q, --quiet no output unless errors (implies --batch) -s, --silent same as --quiet -v, --version display version information and exit successfully -V, --verbose report on what is done TeX tuning: -@ use @input instead of input; for preloaded Texinfo -e, -E, --expand force macro expansion using makeinfo -I DIR search DIR for Texinfo files -l, --language=LANG specify the LANG of FILE (LaTeX or Texinfo) -p, --pdf use pdftex or pdflatex for processing -t, --command=CMD insert CMD in copy of input file; or --texinfo=CMD multiple values accumulate The values of the BIBTEX, LATEX (or PDFLATEX), MAKEINDEX, MAKEINFO, TEX (or PDFTEX), TEXINDEX, and THUMBPDF environment variables are used to run those commands, if they are set. Any CMD strings are added after @setfilename for Texinfo input, in the first line for LaTeX input. REPORTING BUGS
Email bug reports to <bug-texinfo@gnu.org>, general questions and discussion to <help-texinfo@gnu.org>. Texinfo home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc. There is NO warranty. You may redistribute this software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for texi2dvi is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and texi2dvi programs are properly installed at your site, the command info texi2dvi should give you access to the complete manual. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWtexi | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for texinfo is available on http://opensolaris.org. texi2dvi 1.3 April 2004 TEXI2DVI(1)