Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 64 bit Porting Problem !!!
Operating Systems Linux SuSE 64 bit Porting Problem !!! Post 302275822 by otheus on Monday 12th of January 2009 09:15:52 AM
Old 01-12-2009
I have gcc 4.1.1 installed. Maybe you have an older version. If so, this might not apply to you.

I am not familiar with the options you mentioned, but the v9 is definitely SPARC architecture specific. Using "-m64" will produce code for the 64-bit platform, which would be the default anyway. ints will be 32 bits, and pointers and longs will be 64-bits. You could use -mabi=32 will generate 32-bit code for your 64-bit platform. This might result in an inability to link against 64-bit libraries, but if you have 32-bit libraries also installed, it should work. You can do something similar with "-mlong32", which forces all longs and pointer types to 32 bits (but still uses the 64-bit abi so it could run on a 64 bit platform). It might be possible to combine -mlong-calls with this to ensure proper behavior with the linker, but that's just a WAG (wild ass guess).

I thought there was a way to tell the compiler to treat an "int" as 64-bits, but I cannot find an option for that in the manual. You can always use the preprocessor to try to change "int" into "long", but that might not work in some instances.

I found some links that might help:
http://gcc.fyxm.net/summit/2003/Port...2064%20bit.pdf

This link specifically says you must use gcc 4 and later, and mentions a few options pertinent to your task.
64-Bit Transition Guide: Compiling 64-Bit Code Using GCC

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

porting an application on 64-bit AIX version 5

Hi all, I am facing problem in porting to 64 bit AIX especially with compiling options to compile and run under 64 bit kernel.Can any one put some light on the issue thanks in advance vishal (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalzone2002
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A bit of a problem with a UNIX based server.

Alright. As the title states, I'm working with a UNIX based web server(Sun Fire v120). The problem I'm currently having is trying to properly configure it for hosting. If anyone could help me out, it would be great. Much thanks. -XTIZ3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XTIZ3
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Porting C++ 32-bit code on 64-bit Solaris

Hi, I am trying to convert 32-bit code to 64-bit. I have defined function int main() { int* l; size_t len1; fun(len1); return 0; } void fun(int* ptr) { cout<<"\nsizeof(ptr)"<<sizeof(ptr); } However while compiling getting error as : Error: Formal argument ptr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_27
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

No Error for 64-bit porting

I am just trying to get the warning while compiling for 64-bit on Linux >> uname -a Linux mms4.es.cpth.ie 2.6.9-22.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:00:54 EDT 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux =================================== Written test.c file which conatin : #include<stdio.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit_27
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Tru 64 bit on HP AlphaServer ES45 creating problem Help Needed !!!

Dear All, I am new on Tru 64 bit Unix platform. I have a database server "HP AlphaServer ES45" version p5.1 of Tru Ux 64 bit installed. I have 4 hard drives in this system (1,2,3,4). My 4th hard drive is damaged which contain Oracle database files including partitions on 4th drives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellozishan
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP-Unix 64 bit Tape Drive creating problem

Hello All, I have HP Openview storage data protector version 5.5. When I am going to write my backup I have an error message saying "Connot Open Device /dev/rmt/0mn" Follownig is my output: # ls -l /dev/rmt/0mn crw-rw-rw- 2 bin bin 205 0x080140 Jan 17 16:41 /dev/rmt/0mn # uname -a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellozishan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

hpux-itanium 64 bit problem for libC

i am trying to build on hpux-itanium 64 bit platform. my application needs to link to 64 bit version of the library libCsup.so This library is present in /usr/lib/hpux64/libCsup.so I am specifying the location of this library as linker flags LDFLAGS := -Wl,-N -Wl,+s... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

DB2 ODBC connectivity problem in RHEL5 32 bit

Hi, I installed Db2 9.7 on RHEL5 32bit . Instance Name is db2inst1 amd in that i created database as mydb. I exported env variables for classpath ,db2dir,db2instance LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH ,ODBC, ODBCHOME ,ODBCINI My application needs ODBC connectivity and so I modified odbc.ini file . ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopalidalvi231
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 apache 64 bit libldap.so problem

Hello, I am fairly new to Solaris so please be gentle ;). I am trying to install apache 2.4.3 adapting a script one of my colleagues wrote for version 2.2.23. The problem lies in the fact that I am aiming at creating a 64bit package hence I've already amended the script to reflect that. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teotao
3 Replies
confstr(3C)															       confstr(3C)

NAME
confstr() - get string-valued configuration values SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
provides a method for applications to get configuration-defined string values. Its use and purpose are similar to (see sysconf(2)), except that it is used where string values rather than numeric values are returned. The name parameter can take on the following name values, which are defined in A default value for the environment variable which can be used to locate commands in Section 1 of the and utilities defined in the POSIX.2 standard that are currently implemented in the HP-UX operating system. Which kernel is supported on the hardware. Current values returned include "32", "32/64" or "64". Whether the kernel is 32-bit or 64-bit. Current values returned include "32" or "64". The hardware model string. Unique identifier for each machine. Returned as an opaque string of printable ASCII characters. This string has the same value for all partitions in a physical machine. Refer to for a unique identifier for partitions in a machine. For hardware classes first released with HP-UX 11i or later, this ID is unique across all hardware classes. For earlier hardware classes, the ID number is unique only within the hard- ware class. A null string is returned if no ID number is available; this is expected to be the case only for proto- type machines or other systems improperly configured in manufacturing. Comparisons of this value must be made using the string compare functions, see string(3C). Identifier for each partition existing on a machine. Returned as an opaque string of printable ASCII characters. For any machine not supporting partitions this value will be the same as Com- parisons of this value must be made using the string compare functions, see string(3C). Machine serial number. The value will be a printable ASCII string. This string is not available on all classes of machines; if unavailable, the string will be empty. This string is not a unique identifier of the machine, since machines of different classes can have the same serial number. If a unique identifier is needed, use or The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of final options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64 bits. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64 bits. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64 bits. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with an int type using at least 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64 bits. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with an int type using at least 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64 bits. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with an int type using at least 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64 bits. This value is a <newline>-separated list of names of programming environments supported by the implementation in which the widths of the blksize_t, cc_t, mode_t, nfds_t, pid_t, ptrdiff_t, size_t, speed_t, ssize_t, suseconds_t, tcflag_t, useconds_t, wchar_t, and wint_t types are no greater than the width of type long. If len is not zero, and if name is known and has a configuration-defined value, copies that value into the len-byte buffer pointed to by buf. If the string to be returned is longer than len bytes, including the terminating null, truncates the string to len-1 bytes and null- terminates the result. The application can detect that the string was truncated by comparing the value returned by with len. If len is zero and buf is NULL, returns the integer value as defined below, but does not return a string. If len is zero but buf is not NULL, the result is unspecified. RETURN VALUE
If name is invalid, returns zero and sets to If name does not have a configuration-defined value, returns 0 (zero) and leaves unchanged. If name has a configuration-defined value, returns the size of buffer that would be needed to hold the entire configuration-defined value. If this return value is less than len, the string returned in buf has been truncated. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment calls to determine the correct buffer size for allocates space for this buffer, then gets the configuration value for AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
symbolic constants and structures used for support of the /usr/group standard SEE ALSO
getconf(1), errno(2), fpathconf(2), pathconf(2), sysconf(2), malloc(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
confstr(3C)