Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interpret the sed command.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Interpret the sed command. Post 302275802 by fpmurphy on Monday 12th of January 2009 08:21:01 AM
Old 01-12-2009
I am closing this post. Please do not duplicate posts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Do We Interpret This ?

ksh $ETL_XXX/bin/filename.ksh wf_workflowname . Which is used in post session command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please interpret.

Hi guys, I have no idea on unix but suddenly, my cobol programs calls a unix script that i know nothing about. can you guys interpret these lines for me? i know its a print command but I want to actually know how many copies it prints. qprt -da -P $1 -t '6' -i '6' -l '70' $2 qprt -da... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supacow
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpret sed and awk in the below command.

Could you interpret the following sed and awk command for me? command: cat tempfile2 |sed "s/\(BUILD-3-.*-\.-\)\(.*\..*\..*\)/\2/" | awk '{printf "%-8.8s %-23.23s %-30.30s %-50.50s\n", $1,$2,$3,substr($0,index($0,$4))}' > outfile2 2>/dev/null input:data in tempfile2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vj8436
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to interpret TOP

Hi, So I am new to Unix, and I need to check the performance of some apps I am running. But I don't know how to interpret the output from TOP. Could somebody please explain the difference between the different values. And also explain how I can have a process which has a %CPU > 100? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_jay_smith
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone interpret this -- not sure

Was wondering if someone could interpret this for me -- I'm not sure what everything means. It's a shell script from my bash book: cd () { builtin cd "$@" es=$? echo "$OLDPWD ->$PWD" return $es } what I don't quite understand is the "$@". I think, if I understand... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does Awk interpret $0!~

I know $0 is the entire file's contents (at least I think that is what it is!), but what exactly is: $0!~ This was a snippet from a larger line awk '$0!~/^$/ {print $0}' This deletes blank lines, but I want to know specifically the $0!~ part... I am guessing /^$/ is regex for blank line...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

don't know how to interpret this

Can anyone tell me how to interpret this: listpage="ls |more" (the spaces are there in the example) $listpage It's from my bash book and I'm not sure what it means (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to interpret code

hi All, i have never used sed in Unix environment, but i have one script which is using this following command: cat audit_session_rpt_MSP_20140331.lst|sed -n '/Apr 14/!p'| sed -n '/Page/!p'| sed -n '/UserName/!p' |\ egrep -v '^-|^=|^\*'|sed '/^$/d'|sed -e '1,7d'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Who -r interpret?

I booted into single user mode with /usr/sbin/reboot -- -s but after doing a control -d my who -r shows run-level 3 Nov 17 14:07 3 0 S I was expecting it to show run-level S why is this still in run level 3? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
PSIGNAL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						PSIGNAL(9)

NAME
psignal, pgsignal, gsignal -- post signal to a process or process group SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/signalvar.h> void psignal(struct proc *p, int signum); void pgsignal(struct pgrp *pgrp, int signum, int checkctty); void gsignal(int pgid, int signum); DESCRIPTION
These functions post a signal to one or more processes. The argument signum common to all three functions should be in the range [1-NSIG]. The psignal() function posts signal number signum to the process represented by the process structure p. With a few exceptions noted below, the target process signal disposition is updated and is marked as runnable, so further handling of the signal is done in the context of the target process after a context switch. Note that psignal() does not by itself cause a context switch to happen. The target process is not marked as runnable in the following cases: o The target process is sleeping uninterruptibly. The signal will be noticed when the process returns from the system call or trap. o The target process is currently ignoring the signal. o If a stop signal is sent to a sleeping process that takes the default action (see sigaction(2)), the process is stopped without awakening it. o SIGCONT restarts a stopped process (or puts them back to sleep) regardless of the signal action (e.g., blocked or ignored). If the target process is being traced psignal() behaves as if the target process were taking the default action for signum. This allows the tracing process to be notified of the signal. The pgsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group described by pgrp. If checkctty is non-zero, the sig- nal will be posted only to processes that have a controlling terminal. pgsignal() is implemented by walking along the process list headed by the field pg_members of the process group structure pointed at by pgrp and calling psignal() as appropriate. If pgrp is NULL no action is taken. The gsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group identified by the group id pgid. gsignal() first finds the group structure associated with pgid, then invokes pgsignal() with the argument checkctty set to zero. If pgid is zero no action is taken. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), signal(9), tsleep(9) BSD
June 22, 1996 BSD