Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get information like substring Post 302275741 by uativan on Monday 12th of January 2009 03:32:06 AM
Old 01-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson
What do you really want to extract? If all you wnat is "mysname":

Code:
echo myname

If you mean the third field, it depends on where you are getting it from. If it's in a variable::

Code:
set -f
set -- $variable
echo "$3"

If you are processing multi-line output from a command:

Code:
your_command | cut -d ' ' -f3

thanks for your reply

I stored the result in a variable

name=$(pgsql -c "select name from teacher")

$name is a single line
and equal to "name ------------ myname (1 row)"
I want to get the "myname" inside this variable

e.g.
If $name is "name ------------ Peter (1 row)"
I want to get "Peter" from the line

could you give me some suggestions? thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring

Hi, I have several lines like this ones: 123456789abcde /aa/bb/123456_$data.log 123456789abcde /aa/bb/123456_not_a_data_log 987654321ab /aa/bb/xpto123456_$data.log ... How do I get into a variable the value "/aa/bb/123456_$data.log" , searching only for the beggining and ending... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlos
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a substring

This is probably pretty simple butI'm not sure how to best go about it. If I have FILE="myBigLongFileName_1.xls" FILE_PREFIX=`echo $FILE| cut -d"." -f1` # that gives "myBigLongFileName_1" All i want to do now is chop the "_1" from the end of $FILE_PREFIX Any ideas anyone? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djkane
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get substring

i have a strings abc-def.csv ghi-jkl.csv i want to make it as abc-*-def.xyz ghi-*-jkl.xyz How to do it?. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilk615
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substring

Hi, I have a value of a filepath in a variable DATAFILE with value as "customtop/gpsore37/gepspo/1.0/bin/ashoka.csv ". Now i want the value of last 4 charcters in to another variable. That is EXTENSION = .csv How can i do this in Shell scripting Thanks in advance Alla Kishore (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alla.kishore
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with substring

I need to check the occurrence of one string within another. code ******************** if ;then do something done ******************** Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring

Hi I use the below cmd to get the list of files that are modified than <temp> file in the <path> diretory cmd:find <path> -name '*.zip' -type f -newer <temp> -print i am getting all the list of files that are new or modified, with abs path, i want to copy all of these files to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring

I have a string '<Hi>abc</Hi>" How to print "abc" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Substring

Hi, I hav a string lets say aa.txt:bb:txt length of the string can vary.. I have to keep the token inside a array and the delimiter is : plz send me the code (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deekay.p
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the substring

Hi All, I have a ouput string likes 'u8wos' or 'u10acsd' or somthing else 'u{number}{any characters}'and I want to get the number behind the letter 'u' by bash shell. Thanks Damon (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substring

Hi, My requirement is to get the substring and then remove special character. Ex I have data like T_SYSTEM_XXXXX_YYYY_ZZZ I want to get XXXXXYYYYZZZ the part after T_SYSTEM is varying it might be XXX_YY or just XX can you tell me which all commands i have to use. i understand i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed_Tabish
5 Replies
add directory(1m)														 add directory(1m)

NAME
add directory - Adds a value to a modifiable, set-valued attribute (including application-defined attributes) of a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp add directory directory-name attribute-name = attribute-value ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. The name of a particular attribute. Specify only one attribute at a time. See the cds_attributes file for the list of attributes that your application uses. attribute-value The value of a particular attribute. The value of an application- defined attribute is dependent on the type of attribute. See the cds_attributes file for the list of attributes and corresponding data types that your application uses. If you enter a byte data type, you must enter an even number of digits in length. You can only enter pairs of hexadecimal values for user-defined attributes. DESCRIPTION
The add directory command adds a value to a modifiable, set-valued attribute (including application-defined attributes) of a directory. If the attribute does not exist, this command creates it. Usually, this task is performed through the client application. See the DCE Admin- istration Guide for more information about attributes. Privilege Required You must have write permission to the directory. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
To add the value ontario to the attribute myname of a directory named /.:/sales, read the cds_attributes file to verify that the attribute shown in the following display exists: OID LABEL SYNTAX 1.3.22.1.3.91 myname char Enter the following command to assign the value ontario to the attribute myname: cdscp> add directory /.:/sales myname = ontario RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: remove directory(1m), show directory(1m) Books: OSF DCE Administration Guide add directory(1m)