Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers detect file size then quit or continue Post 302275512 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of January 2009 10:17:38 PM
Old 01-10-2009
not ls -one ls -ell the argument is lowercase l.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
filesize()
{
     ls -l "$1" | awk '+{print $5}' | read fsize
     if [[ $fsize -eq  183 ]] ; then
           fsize=0
     fi
     echo "$fsize"
}

sz=$( filesize myfile.csv )
if [[ $sz -eq 0 ]]
   echo "No user input"
   exit
fi
# your code goes here

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue Script when File Found

Hello All, I am trying to write a script that will only continue executing my script if a file exits. I know the directory of the file, so its just a matter of seeing if the file exists yet. If the file has not yet been created, I want the script to wait 10 minutes (600 seconds) and try again.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Miguel
7 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to exit a while loop and quit reading the input file

I am reading a file using While loop while <FILE> { $_ = <FILE>; process data... } I would like to quit reading the file once I encounter a String pattern. How do i do it. is it if (/SUMMARY/) { last; } I am having problems with uninitialized value in pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhap
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if no file then quit

I have a script that run several subscripts. I need to find out how to do two things. First I would like to check for a file and if that file is not there I want to quit the entire script without running the rest of the script which contain subscripts. If the file is there, I want it to continue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script check for file, alert if not there, and continue checking until file arrives

All, Is there a way to keep checking for a file over and over again in the same script for an interval of time? Ie If { mail -user continue checking until file arrives file arrives tasks exit I don't want the script to run each time and email the user each time a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a file in unix(Continue from previous thread)

Hi This is continuation of previos thread status=running username=abc password=123456 server=linux The script was made which is used to capture the data from file ./scr test status It will give result running I have a case like status = running username=abc password=123456... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait and continue if directory stays same size

hi all, i want to make a bash script so it can monitor directory sizes ie if it stays the same size (for a certain time) i want it to run the script but if there still copying and the directory increases in size do not run the script i have heard "inotifywait" can do this, but theres... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If file pattern exists in directory then continue

he below looks in $dir for any pattern of fileone. As is, it executes but only returns File found if the exact format in the script exsists. Why isn't a pattern of fileone being looked for and if it is in $dir, File found. I think that is what should happen. Thank you :). dir=/path/to if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
apticron(1)						      General Commands Manual						       apticron(1)

NAME
apticron - Generate a mail listing packages which are pending an upgrade SYNOPSIS
apticron [--cron] DESCRIPTION
apticron is a shell script which generates a mail with a list of all packages currently pending an upgrade, as well as summary of changes - using apt-listchanges - to a configurable Email address. apticron is mainly intended for automatic notification of pending security updates but can also be used in many other situations where timely updates are necessary. The --cron option is only meant to be used when invoked by cron in order to run no more than once a day. FILES
/etc/apticron/apticron.conf Configuration file, Email address to mail and profile for use with apt-listchanges are configurable. /etc/cron.d/apticron Cron job for executing apticron daily. /etc/cron.daily/apticron Fallback cron script for executing apticron (if no crond running or system down at designated time). /var/lib/misc/apticron.cron Time stamp file used by apticron when invoked with --cron option. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8), apt-listchanges(1), cron(8) AUTHOR
Apticron was initially developed by Colm MacCarthaigh <colm.maccarthaigh@heanet.ie> with contributions from Marc Sherman <msherman@projec- tile.ca>. Since 2006 it is maintained and improved by Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org>. apticron(1)