Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting POSIX way of getting columns in tty? Post 302275406 by fpmurphy on Saturday 10th of January 2009 08:34:10 AM
Old 01-10-2009
It is not part of POSIX.1, but most shells initialize a COLUMNS variable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill the tty

Hello Experts i'm having some trouble with a script. the purpose is to kill all processes from a distinct tty in a HP-UX machine, given the User TTY. it's to use like this: killtty pts/tnb pts/tr pts/tD here it is #!/usr/bin/ksh i=1 for i do || exit kill -9 `ps -ft "${i}" |... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tty problem

Dear all, when I do a remote shell command from a FUJITSU Unix to an HP-UX, I always get this: 15:36:35 + rsh -l storto obs2 sh /users/obs/storto/MESO-NH/tmp_olive_map_00CC/job_prepex_70JY_C00CC_20041103_19 Not a terminal stty: : Erreur inconnue stty: : Erreur inconnue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stortignauz
0 Replies

3. AIX

tty

Hi All can anyone tell me what is the meaning of tty,or give me an example of this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

4. AIX

Tty Over Run

dears i have two IBM p630 application servers, they are running hacmp 5.2 as the clustering software. from the output of errpt on one of the nodes i am receiving the following error: 9D30B78E 0530020007 T S tty1 RECEIVER OVER-RUN ON INPUT please are there any ideas about how... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheEngineer
0 Replies

5. Programming

Posix

HI, When i am configuring php in SUN Solaris. I am getting the below error. configure: error: Your system seems to lack POSIX threads. Do i need to install POSIX? If so can somebody let me know where can i download POSIX for Solaris 8? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
2 Replies

6. Solaris

tty hack

hi all, what i want to do when user open terminal like tty5 and do his work i want to see his terminal how can i do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xxmasrawy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tty changes?

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology but somehow my tty keeps changing on me. The man pages are confusing to me on what exactly the tty is. This is what I see when I run the tty command. Could anyone explain why my tty keeps changing? ~ $ tty /dev/pts/1 ~ $ tty /dev/pts/0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Ubuntu

How to get columns TIME and TTY of commands ps -A?

Hi, Commands ps -A include four parameters are PID, TTY, TIME and CMD. I can not found pathnames of TTY and TIME which I can read from file in C language to get information display on screen. Thank you! Ex: PID TTY TIME CMD 1 ? 00:00:01 init (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_member
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
GETUSERSHELL(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   GETUSERSHELL(3)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get permitted user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getusershell(), setusershell(), endusershell(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns the next line from the file /etc/shells, opening the file if necessary. The line should contain the pathname of a valid user shell. If /etc/shells does not exist or is unreadable, getusershell() behaves as if /bin/sh and /bin/csh were listed in the file. The setusershell() function rewinds /etc/shells. The endusershell() function closes /etc/shells. RETURN VALUE
The getusershell() function returns a NULL pointer on end-of-file. FILES
/etc/shells CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. SEE ALSO
shells(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2007-07-26 GETUSERSHELL(3)