Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302275305 by reborg on Friday 9th of January 2009 06:00:03 PM
Old 01-09-2009
I voted no. But in order to make sense of my vote I should explain.

I personally don't like the Mac OS interface, and I am not a big fan of many of the implementation of many of the administrative tools. Yes, I could install tools to do things those things way I want but as someone who works mostly from the command line it makes more sense for me to use something which behaves in a more traditional way such Solaris, GNU/Linux or BSD. Also I don't use any of the software for which Macs are the ideal platform.

Having said that, from a business perspective if there was a truly legitimate (not ambiguous) way to do this and people reporting to me wanted to use OS X and it would run on the standard hardware provided to them I wouldn't have a problem approving it on the condition that they could perform all of their work without needing to use another paid-license OS.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
mzip(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mzip(1)

Name
       mzip - change protection mode and eject disk on Zip/Jaz drive

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mzip command is used to issue ZIP disk specific commands on Linux, Solaris or HP-UX. Its syntax is:

mzip [-epqrwx]

Mzip allows the following command line options:

e      Ejects the disk.

f      Force eject even if the disk is mounted (must be given in addition to -e).

r      Write protect the disk.

w      Remove write protection.

p      Password write protect.

x      Password protect

u      Temporarily unprotect the disk until it is ejected.  The disk becomes writable, and reverts back to its old state when ejected.

q      Queries the status

To remove the password, set it to one of the password-less modes -r or -w: mzip will then ask you for the password, and	unlock	the  disk.
       If you have forgotten the password, you can get rid of it by low-level formatting the disk (using your SCSI adapter's BIOS setup).

The  ZipTools  disk  shipped with the drive is also password protected.	On MS-DOS or on a Mac, this password is automatically removed once
       the ZipTools have been installed.  From various articles posted to Usenet, I learned that the password for the tools  disk  is  APlaceForY-
       ourStuff.   Mzip  knows	about  this  password, and tries it first, before prompting you for a password.  Thus mzip -w z: unlocks the tools
       disk.  The tools disk is formatted in a special way so as to be usable both in a PC and in a Mac.  On a PC, the Mac file system appears	as
       a hidden file named `partishn.mac'.  You may erase it to reclaim the 50 Megs of space taken up by the Mac file system.

Bugs
       This  command  is a big kludge.	A proper implementation would take a rework of significant parts of mtools, but unfortunately I don't have
       the time for this right now. The main downside of this implementation is that it is inefficient on some architectures  (several	successive
       calls to mtools, which defeats mtools' caching).

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.13							      28Feb10								   mzip(1)