Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shift Question (Perl)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shift Question (Perl) Post 302275042 by otheus on Friday 9th of January 2009 03:37:55 AM
Old 01-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeatu
nvrmind...I just discovered "printf" :-) :-)
In the hash table, you should still quote the numbers, or remove the leading 0's . Otherwise, perl will interpret these as octal numbers, meaning "08" will end up being "10".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift command

There is an error when i am trying to use the shift command in this way: ($1 = -d, $2 = 123, $3 = -c etc etc) for $arg in $@ do case $arg in "-d") shift; (so that the $2 will become the $arg now) (and while it loop the 2nd time,) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift command

Hi Folks, In shell scripting the maximum no. of command line parameters becomes 9(Am i right). If we want to get more than 9 parameters we use the shift command. Even here there are two possibilities. 1. Without the use of variables - The arguments are lost and the lost no. is equal to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding the shift command???

I am running a program where in I have this command which is giving error the shift: number is not correct. can you please tell me how shift actually works? the line which is giving error is- set $PARAM; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift Is it related somewhere to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift and push question in perl

hi, another perl question, I don't understand the below while (<FILE>) { push @last5, $_; #add to the end shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 ; #take from the beginning } can someone please explain to me how does shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 is taking last 5 lines from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift not working

Hi, I wrote one script, in between script needs to use 10th and 11th positional parameters, that time i used "shift". Here i am facing the below find problem, ./DataCount.sh: cannot shift I tried 1) I have read man pages for shift 2) Before but * and ** 3) Simple shift with out giving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance with shift J

Hey all, I need some assistance. I'm writing a script to eject tapes from a tape library, but the library is not a queued system and can only eject 15 tapes at a time. I added paste -d : -s so that it goes through full_tapes and puts each media_id on one line separated by the :. Now I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Shift into UNIX

Hi, Firstly, I did a search for this question both on this site and on the internet and have not been able to find a suitable answer that is not general in nature. I have always been a Windows user. I use my girl friend's mac every now and then, but I always come back to windows. For a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mearex
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Shift command

Hello Expert Can any one please explain what is the use of shift command in general terms: set -- $(ls -t) shift rm -Rf $* what is the use of shift command over here. Thanks a lot for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with a Perl Script using Pop, Shift, & Push

Hello everyone, I am new to Perl and I am having some issues getting a script to work. I have to create a script that uses an array of 52 cards, "shuffles" the cards (using loops with the pop, shift, and push commands), and prints out the top five. This is not a randomizing of the array just a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift command help

#!/bin/bash hostname=$1; shift for hostname in $1 do ping $hostname done I want to run the above script as hostname.sh yahoo.com google.com cnn.com. I want to shift each hostname to $1. How can do that with above code as currently it's not shifting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
5 Replies
cdb(5)								File Formats Manual							    cdb(5)

NAME
cdb - Constant DataBase file format DESCRIPTION
A cdb database is a single file used to map `keys' to `values', having records of (key,value) pairs. File consists of 3 parts: toc (table of contents), data and index (hash tables). Toc has fixed length of 2048 bytes, containing 256 pointers to hash tables inside index sections. Every pointer consists of position of a hash table in bytes from the beginning of a file, and a size of a hash table in entries, both are 4-bytes (32 bits) unsigned integers in little-endian form. Hash table length may have zero length, meaning that corresponding hash table is empty. Right after toc section, data section follows without any alingment. It consists of series of records, each is a key length, value (data) length, key and value. Again, key and value length are 4-byte unsigned integers. Each next record follows previous without any special alignment. After data section, index (hash tables) section follows. It should be looked to in conjunction with toc section, where each of max 256 hash tables are defined. Index section consists of series of hash tables, with starting position and length defined in toc section. Every hash table is a sequence of records each holds two numbers: key's hash value and record position inside data section (bytes from the begin- ning of a file to first byte of key length starting data record). If record position is zero, then this is an empty hash table slot, pointed to nowhere. CDB hash function is hv = ((hv << 5) + hv) ^ c for every single c byte of a key, starting with hv = 5381. Toc section indexed by (hv % 256), i.e. hash value modulo 256 (number of entries in toc section). In order to find a record, one should: first, compute the hash value (hv) of a key. Second, look to hash table number hv modulo 256. If it is empty, then there is no such key exists. If it is not empty, then third, loop by slots inside that hash table, starting from slot with number hv divided by 256 modulo length of that table, or ((hv / 256) % htlen), searching for this hv in hash table. Stop search on empty slot (if record position is zero) or when all slots was probed (note cyclic search, jumping from end to beginning of a table). When hash value in question is found in hash table, look to key of corresponding record, comparing it with key in question. If them of the same length and equals to each other, then record is found, overwise, repeat with next hash table slot. Note that there may be several records with the same key. SEE ALSO
cdb(1), cdb(3). AUTHOR
The tinycdb package written by Michael Tokarev <mjt@corpit.ru>, based on ideas and shares file format with original cdb library by Dan Bernstein. LICENSE
Public domain. Apr, 2005 cdb(5)