Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HP vs AIX Memory
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users HP vs AIX Memory Post 302274916 by kfdalton on Thursday 8th of January 2009 04:30:52 PM
Old 01-08-2009
HP vs AIX Memory

I have 2 boxes one running AIX 5.3 and the other running HP 11.31. Both systems have the same application running but HP seems to be using more memory than AIX by almost double. I have to use 2 different methods because both machines have different backend software to look at memory. What is the best method to see side by side memory usage on the system and per process

Granted if i look at glance on hp see say 13gb free but if i look at nmon on AIX i see 636mb free. Which way is the correct method?

Last edited by kfdalton; 01-08-2009 at 06:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking memory in AIX

I am using AIX 5.5 I have researched your site and found a few commands to try to check how much physical memory I have but the ones I found are not working. I was wondering does my system have a different command? I also checked the MAN pages could not find it there. Could somebody help? I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kollam68
1 Replies

3. AIX

aix memory breakdown

Hi, Stats: AIX 5.3, P590 series. 8 CPUs, 27GB RAM. DB SGA 4GB MAXCLIENT=MAXPERM% = 20% (MIN IS 10%) lru_file_repage =1 strict value for maxperm and for maxclient both set to 1. File system=jfs2. paging = 1% all the time (means no paging) Consider the following at point in time: From... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahidsa
1 Replies

4. AIX

Memory usage on AIX

How to check the memory usage on AIX by various processes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX Memory used by an Application

Hi, Is there any way to find the Memory allocated to an Application in AIX server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
2 Replies

6. AIX

AiX Memory upgrade

Hi, I have just upgraded one of our AiX box's memory but my partition has not been able to use this extra 2gb - It seems to have a maximum memory size of around 6gb. The system can see 8gb but I do not seem to be able to allocate this to the partition. Any help would be gratefully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJCG1976
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

JVM Memory used on AIX

Hello, i need just a Unix command line (AIX 6) that gives me the memory/CPU used by a WebSphere JVM from it's PID such as ps -ef | grep 'jvm name'. I know jstat -gc PID but it didn't work Could you help me please Thanks Christian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steiner
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 6.1 memory tuning

Greetings, i'm wondering if there is a way to determine minimum memory requirement for AIX kernel and OS functions? We use memdetails script from perfpmr package to see actual memory allocation, for example like this: ===========================================================================... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzodzo
5 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6.1 error out of memory

i am facing issue in AIX 6.1 when i was running below command i face issued as show attached screenshot cat /audit/bin1 /audit/bin2 /audit/trail | auditpr -t 0 -v -h l,r,R,t,c,p,P |\ awk '/\s*audit object write event detected/ {print ll $6} { ll = $0}' Please use code tags next time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aforabad
1 Replies

10. AIX

AIX understanding memory using

Hello, I would like to understand better in AIX memory use / > svmon -G -O unit=MB Unit: MB -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- size inuse free pin virtual available mmode memory 9216.00 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
4 Replies
NAME
cgi-fcgi - bridge from CGI to FastCGI SYNOPSIS
cgi-fcgi -f cmdPath cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName cgi-fcgi -start -connect connName appPath [nServers] cgi-fcgi -connect connName appPath [nServers] DESCRIPTION
cgi-fcgi is a CGI/1.1 program that communicates with an already-running FastCGI application in order to respond to an HTTP request. cgi-fcgi is also capable of starting a FastC- GI
application. When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -f cmdPath then cgi-fcgi opens the file at cmdPath and reads its arguments from that file. cgi-fcgi will skip lines that begin with the comment character #. The first non-comment line should contain valid arguments in one of the other three forms. The -f form of cgi-fcgi is designed for Unix systems whose exec(2) family of system calls supports the execution of command interpreter files. For instance, if a file with execute permission contains the text #! /bin/cgi-fcgi -f -connect /httpd/root/sock/app /httpd/root/bin/app the effect is the same as executing /bin/cgi-fcgi -connect /httpd/root/sock/app /httpd/root/bin/app When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName the connName argument is either the path name of a Unix do- main listening socket or a host:port pair. If connName contains a colon, it is assumed to be host:port. cgi-fcgi performs a connect(2) using connName. If the connect succeeds, cgi- fcgi forwards the CGI environment variables and stdin data to the FastCGI application, and forwards the stdout and stderr data from the application to cgi-fcgi's stdout (most likely connected to a Web server). When the FastCGI application signals the end of its response, cgi-fcgi flushes its buffers and exits, and the Web server completes the http response. When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -start -connect connName appPath [nServers] then cgi-fcgi performs the function of starting one or more FastCGI application processes. The connName argument speci- fies either the path name of the Unix domain listening socket that cgi-fcgi will create, or is "localhost:NNN" where NNN is the port number of the TCP/IP listening socket that cgi-fcgi will create on the local machine. (cgi-fcgi will not create processes on remote machines.) After cgi-fcgi creates the listening socket, it forks nServers copies of a process running the executable file appPath. If nServers is omitted, the effect is as if the value ";1" had been specified. The processes share the single listen- ing socket. When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -connect connName appPath [nServers] cgi-fcgi performs -bind and then, if necssary, performs -start and repeats the -bind. That is, cgi-fcgi first operates as if the command had been cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName If the connect fails, cgi-fcgi tries cgi-fcgi -start -connect connName appPath [nServers] and finally retries cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName In this form, cgi-fcgi does not support TCP/IP connections. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The usual CGI ones, but they are not interpreted by cgi-fc- gi. SEE ALSO
FGCI_accept(3) BUGS
cgi-fcgi doesn't generate useful HTTP responses in case of error, and it generates no response at all when run as start-fcgi. On Digital UNIX 3.0 systems the implementation of Unix Do- main sockets does not work when such sockets are stored on NFS file systems. Symptom: cgi-fcgi may core dump or may exit with status 38. Work-around: store sockets in local file systems (/tmp often works) or use TCP/IP. On AIX systems the implementation of listening sockets does not support socket sharing, and the standard FastCGI application libraries can't synchronize access to AIX lis- tening sockets. Work-around: Don't use the nServers argument on AIX. HISTORY
Copyright (c) 1996 Open Market, Inc. See the file "LICENSE.TERMS" for information on usage and redistribution of this file, and for a DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES. $Id: cgi-fcgi.1,v 1.1.1.1 1997/09/16 15:36:26 stanleyg Exp $