Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shift Question (Perl)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shift Question (Perl) Post 302274897 by ifeatu on Thursday 8th of January 2009 03:37:32 PM
Old 01-08-2009
Okay I got the script working...Thank you VERY much for your help...one more thing though
it minor dont worry...

I want the output to be as follows

YEAR-MN-DY-YR- Subject -BLH
so there should be a space before and after the subject
also I need the Month to be two digits
I tried altering the code by putting Feb => 02 instead of Feb => 2 but it errors out
I also tried changing the print line to ...,0$month,...or ...,'0' month,... that errors out as well

can you give me some guidance on syntax

#!/usr/bin/perl

open(FILE, "test3.txt") or die ("The file is not found");

%citymap = ( UC => "Union City", VJ => "Vallejo", Vallejo => "Vallejo",berk => "
Berkeley", Berk => "Berkeley" );
%month2int = ( Jan => 1, Feb => 2, Mar => 3, mar => 3, March => 3, Apr => 4, ap
r => 4, April => 4, may => 5, May => 5, Jun => 6, Jul => 7, July => 7, jul => 7,
aug => 8, Aug => 8, August => 8, august => 8, Sept => 9, September => 9, sept =
> 9,Okt => 10, Oct => 10, October => 10, oct => 10, nov => 11, Nov => 11, Novemb
er => 11, november => 11, Dec => 12, December => 12, december => 12);

while (<FILE>) {
($city,$year,$month,$day,$title,$speaker)=split('-');
$month=exists $month2int{$month} ? $month2int{$month} : $month;
$city=exists $citymap{$city} ? $citymap{$city} : ucfirst($city);
print join("- ",$city,$year,$month,$day,$title,$speaker);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift command

There is an error when i am trying to use the shift command in this way: ($1 = -d, $2 = 123, $3 = -c etc etc) for $arg in $@ do case $arg in "-d") shift; (so that the $2 will become the $arg now) (and while it loop the 2nd time,) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift command

Hi Folks, In shell scripting the maximum no. of command line parameters becomes 9(Am i right). If we want to get more than 9 parameters we use the shift command. Even here there are two possibilities. 1. Without the use of variables - The arguments are lost and the lost no. is equal to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding the shift command???

I am running a program where in I have this command which is giving error the shift: number is not correct. can you please tell me how shift actually works? the line which is giving error is- set $PARAM; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift Is it related somewhere to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift and push question in perl

hi, another perl question, I don't understand the below while (<FILE>) { push @last5, $_; #add to the end shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 ; #take from the beginning } can someone please explain to me how does shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 is taking last 5 lines from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift not working

Hi, I wrote one script, in between script needs to use 10th and 11th positional parameters, that time i used "shift". Here i am facing the below find problem, ./DataCount.sh: cannot shift I tried 1) I have read man pages for shift 2) Before but * and ** 3) Simple shift with out giving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance with shift J

Hey all, I need some assistance. I'm writing a script to eject tapes from a tape library, but the library is not a queued system and can only eject 15 tapes at a time. I added paste -d : -s so that it goes through full_tapes and puts each media_id on one line separated by the :. Now I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Shift into UNIX

Hi, Firstly, I did a search for this question both on this site and on the internet and have not been able to find a suitable answer that is not general in nature. I have always been a Windows user. I use my girl friend's mac every now and then, but I always come back to windows. For a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mearex
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Shift command

Hello Expert Can any one please explain what is the use of shift command in general terms: set -- $(ls -t) shift rm -Rf $* what is the use of shift command over here. Thanks a lot for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with a Perl Script using Pop, Shift, & Push

Hello everyone, I am new to Perl and I am having some issues getting a script to work. I have to create a script that uses an array of 52 cards, "shuffles" the cards (using loops with the pop, shift, and push commands), and prints out the top five. This is not a randomizing of the array just a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift command help

#!/bin/bash hostname=$1; shift for hostname in $1 do ping $hostname done I want to run the above script as hostname.sh yahoo.com google.com cnn.com. I want to shift each hostname to $1. How can do that with above code as currently it's not shifting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
5 Replies
Prima::Calendar(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Prima::Calendar(3)

NAME
Prima::Calendar - standard calendar widget SYNOPSIS
use Prima::Calendar; my $cal = Prima::Calendar-> create( useLocale => 1, onChange => sub { print $_[0]-> date_as_string, " "; }, ); $cal-> date_from_time( localtime ); $cal-> month( 5); DESCRIPTION
Provides interactive selection of date between 1900 and 2099 years. The main property, date, is a three-integer array, day, month, and year, in the format of perl localtime ( see "localtime" in perlfunc ) - day can be in range from 1 to 31,month from 0 to 11, year from 0 to 199. API
Events Change Called when the date property is changed. Properties date DAY, MONTH, YEAR Accepts three integers in format of "localtime". DAY can be from 1 to 31, MONTH from 0 to 11, YEAR from 0 to 199. Default value: today's date. day INTEGER Selects the day in month. firstDayOfWeek INTEGER Selects the first day of week, an integer between 0 and 6, where 0 is Sunday is the first day, 1 is Monday etc. Default value: 0 month Selects the month. useLocale BOOLEAN If 1, the locale-specific names of months and days of week are used. These are read by calling "POSIX::strftime". If invocation of POSIX module fails, the property is automatically assigned to 0. If 0, the English names of months and days of week are used. Default value: 1 See also: date_as_string year Selects the year. Methods can_use_locale Returns boolean value, whether the locale information can be retrieved by calling "strftime". month2str MONTH Returns MONTH name according to useLocale value. make_months Returns array of 12 month names according to useLocale value. day_of_week DAY, MONTH, YEAR, [ USE_FIRST_DAY_OF_WEEK = 1 ] Returns integer value, from 0 to 6, of the day of week on DAY, MONTH, YEAR date. If boolean USE_FIRST_DAY_OF_WEEK is set, the value of "firstDayOfWeek" property is taken into the account, so 0 is a Sunday shifted forward by "firstDayOfWeek" days. The switch from Julian to Gregorian calendar is ignored. date_as_string [ DAY, MONTH, YEAR ] Returns string representation of date on DAY, MONTH, YEAR according to useLocale property value. date_from_time SEC, MIN, HOUR, M_DAY, MONTH, YEAR, ... Copies date from "localtime" or "gmtime" result. This helper method allows the following syntax: $calendar-> date_from_time( localtime( time)); AUTHOR
Dmitry Karasik, <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>. SEE ALSO
Prima, Prima::Widget, POSIX, "localtime" in perlfunc, "time" in perlfunc, examples/calendar.pl. perl v5.14.2 2009-02-24 Prima::Calendar(3)