Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris disk error
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris disk error Post 302274834 by FredSmith on Thursday 8th of January 2009 01:10:27 PM
Old 01-08-2009
Solaris disk error

I received a new error that I have not seen before on my Solaris 10 server last night:

From /var/adm/messages
Jan 8 04:59:26 nediaccomp005j scsi:[ID 365881 kern.info] /pci@780/pci@0/pci@9/scsi@0 (mpt0):
Jan 8 04:59:26 nediaccomp005j Log info 31010000c received for target 1.
Jan 8 04:59:26 nediaccomp005j scsi_status=0, ioc_status=8043, scsi_state=0
Jan 8 04:59:26 nediaccomp005j scsi:[ID 107833 kern.notice] Device is gone

What does this mean? How is the device "gone"? It's an internal disk.

Any input appreciated!

-Fred

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Disk Mirror in Solaris 9 via Solaris Volume Manager

Hello, I am trying to do mirror in solaris 9. I have total 0-7 disks 4 5 6 7 0 1 2 3 Drive 0 and Drive 4 = Boot Drives Need to Mirror following drives. Drive 1 and Drive 5 = Need to mirror Drive 1 was mounted on: /prod1, /prod2, /prod3, /prod4, /prod5. Then i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
3 Replies

2. Solaris

how to replace disk in solaris 10?

solaris os run on X86. bootdisk have been mirrored.but there is one disk miss,I want to replace the fail disk,but after I replace the disk,the system can't boot! pls help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netxjman
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Error after installing 2nd hard disk on Solaris 10?

I installed Solaris 10 on this Dell 5150 with only 1 SATA hard drive setup, all went well, and I could view the disk in the disk management window. However, I setup a 2nd hard drive, identical to 1st drive. Solaris wont recognize it and gives an error when trying to view disks in disk management... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joncamp
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Disk Monitoring?

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a way to monitor disk health/status for a Solaris 5.8 sparc machine. I'm looking for something similar to LSIutility or MegaCLI. Any suggestions? Output of `modinfo`: 30 102616fb 10be8 118 1 ssd (SCSI SSA/FCAL Disk Driver 1.151) 122 7821c000 18550 32 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tank126
2 Replies

5. Solaris

root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10

Need a procedure document to do "root disk mirroring in solaris volume manager for solaris 10". I hope some one will help me asap. I need to do it production environment. Let me know if you need any deatils on this. Thanks, Rama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 installation issue Error 25: Disk cannot be read - Solved

Hi all, I guess most of you have seen this error message while installing Solaris 10 on an x86 platform. I got the error message while installing from DVD ISO on my home VMWare ESXi server. It took me a long time to figure the exact issue and a subsequent solution. the solution is very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Howto solve this disk error in Solaris in single user mode

Hi all, OS is Solaros 10 Sparc While doing Netbackup upgradation to 7.5 , the server was asked to reboot. But then it came up in single user mode, and after I typed format command it showed some disk error. bash-3.00# format Searching for disks...WARNING:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 8 disk error

Hello, We are running solaris 8 and there is a disk having problem with consistency The following devices (soft partitions from NetApp are inconsistent, unable to be repaired with fsck and need to be restored: root@server1 # df -k Filesystem kbytes used ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies
i2o_bs(7D)							      Devices								i2o_bs(7D)

NAME
i2o_bs - Block Storage OSM for I2O SYNOPSIS
disk@local target id#:a through u disk@local target id#:a through u raw DESCRIPTION
The I2O Block Storage OSM abstraction (BSA, which also is referred to as block storage class) layer is the primary interface that Solaris operating environments use to access block storage devices. A block storage device provides random access to a permanent storage medium. The i2o_bs device driver uses I2O Block Storage class messages to control the block device; and provides the same functionality (ioctls, for example) that is present in the Solaris device driver like 'cmdk, dadk' on x86 for disk. The maximum size disk supported by i2o_bs is the same as what is available on x86. The i2o_bs is currently implemented version 1.5 of Intelligent IO specification. The block files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmitted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I2O associates each block storage device with a unique ID called a local target id that is assigned by I2O hardware. This information can be acquired by the block storage OSM through I2O Block Storage class messages. For Block Storage OSM, nodes are created in /devices/pci#/pci# which include the local target ID as one component of device name that the node refers to. However the /dev names and the names in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk do not encode the local target id in any part of the name. For example, you might have the following: /devices/ /dev/dsk name --------------------------------------------------------------- /devices/pci@0,0/pci101e,0@10,1/disk@10:a /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 I/O requests to the disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 is used as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device where: cn controller n dn instance number sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/i2o_bs i2o_bs driver /kernel/drv/i2o_bs.conf Configuration file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), format(1M)mount(1M),lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), vfstab(4), acct.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 21 Jul 1998 i2o_bs(7D)