Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hosts.deny entry
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hosts.deny entry Post 302274813 by mojoman on Thursday 8th of January 2009 12:14:37 PM
Old 01-08-2009
Hosts.deny entry

Hello I want to block individuals who attempt to use ssh to loggon to one of my machines from a certain IP address. I added the following entry in hosts.deny. Will the entry do what I want to do?

ssh: 202.111.128.225

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hosts.deny "mailing thing"

Hey people i need a little help here if anyone knows who to separate the mailing users and can i have more then one at the end of the command line please tell me :::This is just an example::: /etc/hosts.deny: tftpd: ALL: (/some/where/safe_finger -l @%h | \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IP´s (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete entry from /etc/hosts file ?

Hi there I have a requirement where i have to globally remove a hosts file entry from all boxes e.g. 10.01.10.1 my_server1 normally for 'in-line' editing of files without passing it out to another fle and copying it back etc which is messy, Ive been using the fantastic "perl -pi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

entry in /etc/hosts

Hello all, I´m on Red Hat Enterprise Server 4.5 I´m wondering if it is possible to disable the need to add every IP machine entry in the file /etc/hosts to allow it to connect to Red hat? I´m getting "where are you?" message. This is solved adding the machine ip where I´m working. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to block ssh via /etc/hosts.deny

Hi.., I am using redhat5 server, i want to know the details about to block ssh via /etc/hosts.deny. Need help immediately (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Hosts file ignored, no DNS entry but still routes!!

Hi all, I have an entry in my hosts file on a server called tractor as follows: 10.67.34.128 digger-m2m digger I have a DNS server configured but it doesn't seem to know about digger. When I do an nslookup on tractor for digger i get the following: new_dns1.oam.uk can't find digger: Non... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
0 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking crontab job entry in 3 different hosts

Hi Gurus, I am trying to connect to remote host from current host to check crontab entries. I have started like this ssh -n -l db2psp 205.191.156.17 ". ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; cd log ;ls | wc -l" I got this error ? ssh: connect to host 205.191.156.17 port 22:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocking77
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/hosts.deny

Hi there, For /etc/hosts.deny was it used to deny access from the internet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies
ssh-keyscan(1)							   User Commands						    ssh-keyscan(1)

NAME
ssh-keyscan - gather public ssh host keys of a number of hosts SYNOPSIS
ssh-keyscan [-v46] [-p port] [-T timeout] [-t type] [-f file] [-] [host... | addrlist namelist] [...] DESCRIPTION
ssh-keyscan is a utility for gathering the public ssh host keys of a number of hosts. It was designed to aid in building and verifying ssh_known_hosts files. ssh-keyscan provides a minimal interface suitable for use by shell and perl scripts. The output of ssh-keyscan is directed to standard output. ssh-keyscan uses non-blocking socket I/O to contact as many hosts as possible in parallel, so it is very efficient. The keys from a domain of 1,000 hosts can be collected in tens of seconds, even when some of those hosts are down or do not run ssh. For scanning, one does not need login access to the machines that are being scanned, nor does the scanning process involve any encryption. File Format Input format: 1.2.3.4,1.2.4.4 name.my.domain,name,n.my.domain,n,1.2.3.4,1.2.4.4 Output format for rsa1 keys: host-or-namelist bits exponent modulus Output format for rsa and dsa keys, where keytype is either ssh-rsa or `ssh-dsa: host-or-namelist keytype base64-encoded-key OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f filename Read hosts or addrlist namelist pairs from this file, one per line. If you specity - instead of a filename, ssh-keyscan reads hosts or addrlist namelist pairs from the standard input. -p port Port to connect to on the remote host. -T timeout Set the timeout for connection attempts. If timeout seconds have elapsed since a connection was initiated to a host or since the last time anything was read from that host, the connection is closed and the host in question is considered unavailable. The default is for timeout is 5 seconds. -t type Specify the type of the key to fetch from the scanned hosts. The possible values for type are rsa1 for protocol version 1 and rsa or dsa for protocol version 2. Specify multiple values by separating them with commas. The default is rsa1. -v Specify verbose mode. Print debugging messages about progress. -4 Force to use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Forces to use IPv6 addresses only. SECURITY
If a ssh_known_hosts file is constructed using ssh-keyscan without verifying the keys, users are vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. If the security model allows such a risk, ssh-keyscan can help in the detection of tampered keyfiles or man-in-the-middle attacks which have begun after the ssh_known_hosts file was created. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing the rsa1 Host Key The following example prints the rsa1 host key for machine hostname: $ ssh-keyscan hostname Example 2 Finding All Hosts The following commands finds all hosts from the file ssh_hosts which have new or different keys from those in the sorted file ssh_known_hosts: $ ssh-keyscan -t rsa,dsa -f ssh_hosts | sort -u - ssh_known_hosts | diff ssh_known_hosts - FILES
/etc/ssh_known_hosts EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 No usage errors. ssh-keyscan might or might not have succeeded or failed to scan one, more or all of the given hosts. 1 Usage error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsshu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ssh(1), sshd(1M), attributes(5) AUTHORS
David Mazieres wrote the initial version, and Wayne Davison added suppport for protocol version 2. BUGS
ssh--keyscan generates Connection closed by remote host messages on the consoles of all machines it scans if the server is older than version 2.9. This is because ssh-keyscan opens a connection to the ssh port, reads the public key, and drops the connection as soon as it gets the key. SunOS 5.11 24 Jul 2004 ssh-keyscan(1)