Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Preventing switching shells
Special Forums Cybersecurity Preventing switching shells Post 302274796 by danielf on Thursday 8th of January 2009 11:32:42 AM
Old 01-08-2009
Certainly, as best as I can.

The firm decided simply to restrict everyone to the bash shell for "security" reasons. It is a small enough firm that they might be able to get away with it, but it would be nice to enforce it. They have documented it as policy, but they would like to have something a bit more strict, forcing everyone to only use bash. I was not sure that it could be done but I figured that I would ask.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

switching shells??

Hi How can i switch shells on linux and freebsd? i tried changing the passwd file and restarted the computer but i still get the same old shell. anybody has the answer? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
6 Replies

2. Linux

Preventing a scan of the RAID during bootup

I have a RH 7.3 server that needs a restart today after putting a patch in place. The last time I rebooted this box was almost a year ago and when the uptime is quite long, Linux likes to check all the disks for errors, including the RAID. This adds almost 1.5Hrs to my bootup process:eek: . Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: turbo90awd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

preventing others to run processes on my machine

I am in a multi-user Linux environment at work. Other users easily run processes on my machine when my machine is idle, but when I try to use my machine, it is dead slow. The processes run by them always grab the top spot using 99% of my CPU time. Is there a way I can prevent others to run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: besharam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing passwd root?

I knew it would happen sooner or later.... We have a requirement that specific individuals need "sudo root" authority. I knew it only a matter of time before someone decided to change the root password (at least they owned up to it). Now the question is how can I grant all rights except... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
4 Replies

6. Solaris

preventing the banner from being shown

Is there a way to supress the banner from being shown when you log in? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing script to run at the same time.

I have a script, myscript.pl I want to set the script to exit if it is already running. At the moment I am using soft stop. eg: if -e dummy file then exit else create a dummy file Is there any other better way to perform this? Maybe ps -ef | egrep 'myscript.pl' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cronboss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between shells

I don't know why, but it just isn't working how I want it to work. You might want to run it to see what I mean. Or you might be a genius (or just really good at unix) and know just by looking at it what the problem is. Have fun trying to figure this one out.:wall: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nowruzr
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris

Hi , I am working on a Solaris server which goes to sleep mode if idle for more than 30 min. I have a remote access so that I can access the server from my home too. By the time I go back to my room, it is going to sleep mode so I could see nothing but a black screen. Is there any option to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhag
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing Opera browser VPN

A fight against open-access I'm afraid. Opera Software have published their latest browser boasting built in free VPN giving access past firewalls of countries, companies, education establishments etc. Free VPN | Now built into Opera browser As one on the other side of the fence trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)