Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Preventing switching shells
Special Forums Cybersecurity Preventing switching shells Post 302274787 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 8th of January 2009 11:18:15 AM
Old 01-08-2009
You can disable access to chsh. But that will never stop somebody from changing the shebang line in a script. If you already have production and startup scripts in bourne shell or ksh or whatever you cannot deny access to those shells.

Can you more clearly define what you want to acheive? What OS are we talking about here?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

switching shells??

Hi How can i switch shells on linux and freebsd? i tried changing the passwd file and restarted the computer but i still get the same old shell. anybody has the answer? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
6 Replies

2. Linux

Preventing a scan of the RAID during bootup

I have a RH 7.3 server that needs a restart today after putting a patch in place. The last time I rebooted this box was almost a year ago and when the uptime is quite long, Linux likes to check all the disks for errors, including the RAID. This adds almost 1.5Hrs to my bootup process:eek: . Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: turbo90awd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

preventing others to run processes on my machine

I am in a multi-user Linux environment at work. Other users easily run processes on my machine when my machine is idle, but when I try to use my machine, it is dead slow. The processes run by them always grab the top spot using 99% of my CPU time. Is there a way I can prevent others to run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: besharam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing passwd root?

I knew it would happen sooner or later.... We have a requirement that specific individuals need "sudo root" authority. I knew it only a matter of time before someone decided to change the root password (at least they owned up to it). Now the question is how can I grant all rights except... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
4 Replies

6. Solaris

preventing the banner from being shown

Is there a way to supress the banner from being shown when you log in? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing script to run at the same time.

I have a script, myscript.pl I want to set the script to exit if it is already running. At the moment I am using soft stop. eg: if -e dummy file then exit else create a dummy file Is there any other better way to perform this? Maybe ps -ef | egrep 'myscript.pl' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cronboss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between shells

I don't know why, but it just isn't working how I want it to work. You might want to run it to see what I mean. Or you might be a genius (or just really good at unix) and know just by looking at it what the problem is. Have fun trying to figure this one out.:wall: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nowruzr
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing the sleep mode in Solaris

Hi , I am working on a Solaris server which goes to sleep mode if idle for more than 30 min. I have a remote access so that I can access the server from my home too. By the time I go back to my room, it is going to sleep mode so I could see nothing but a black screen. Is there any option to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhag
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Preventing Opera browser VPN

A fight against open-access I'm afraid. Opera Software have published their latest browser boasting built in free VPN giving access past firewalls of countries, companies, education establishments etc. Free VPN | Now built into Opera browser As one on the other side of the fence trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
1 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-D binddn] [-P path] [-s shell] [-l] [-q] [-u] [-v] [user] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change the user login shell. A normal user may only change the login shell for their own account, the super user may change the login shell for any account. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. Enter none to remove the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. The only restrictions placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the super- user, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change their login shell. This version of chsh is able to change the shell of local, NIS, NIS+ and LDAP accounts , if the permissions allow it. OPTIONS
-D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd file is located below the specified directory path. chsh will use this files, not /etc/passwd. This is useful for exam- ple on NIS master servers, where you do not want to give all users in the NIS database automatic access to your NIS server and the NIS map is build from special files. -s, --shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -q, --quite Don't be verbose. -u, --usage Print a usage message and exit. --help Print a more verbose help text and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shells - list of valid login shells SEE ALSO
chfn(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils February 2004 chsh(1)