Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need help in tab space !
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help in tab space ! Post 302274640 by pludi on Thursday 8th of January 2009 03:54:51 AM
Old 01-08-2009
Could you post your output using the code-tags? 'Cause I see tabs in your output when I look at the sites source.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

replace tab with space

How do I replace a tab with a space in scripts using sed/awk ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avnerht
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep for blank records (space,tab,/n)?

I want to exclude (-v) blank records from a file before analysing it. I know I can use '^]$' for spaces and tabs but how do you look for lines that have nothing (/n or line feed) ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to find space and tab.

Wants to print line when there exist leading or trailing space or tab in fields 2,3 and 5 The below code prints all lines in file even if they dont have leading and trailing space or tab. nawk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i ~ "^*" || $i ~ "*$")}}1' file file Ouput required: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to keep tab from being converted to space

Hi, I want to read lines from a file, and I'm using two methods 1 use while read line do done<filename 2 use line=`sed -n '3p' filename` however, in both of them, I notice that the tab between fields are automatically converted to space because I want to use awk over the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output file with <Tab> or <Space> Delimited

Input file: xyz,pqrs.lmno,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA abcd,pqrs.xyz,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA,NA Expected Output: xyz pqrs.lmno NA NA NA NA NA NA NA abcd pqrs.xyz NA NA NA NA NA NA NA Command Tried so far: awk -F"," 'BEGIN{OFS=" ";} {print}' $File_Path/File_Name.csv Issue:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechGyaann
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace space by tAB

My file looks like 3 33 210.01.10.0 2.1 1211 560 26 45 1298 98763451112 15412323499 INPUT OK 3 233 40.01.10.0 2.1 1451 780 54 99 1876 78787878784 15423210199 CANCEL OK Aim is to replace the spaces in each line by tab Used: sed -e 's/ */\t/g' But I get output like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies
ctags(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ctags(1)

Name
       ctags - create a tags file

Syntax
       ctags [options] name...

Description
       The command makes a tags file for from the specified C, Pascal and Fortran sources.

A tags file gives the locations of specified objects (in this case functions and typedefs) in a group of files.	Each line of the tags file
       contains the object name, the file in which it is defined, and an address specification for the object definition.  Functions are  searched
       with a pattern, typedefs with a line number.  Specifiers are given in separate fields on the line, separated by blanks or tabs.

Using the tags file, can quickly find these objects definitions.

If  the	-x  flag  is  given,  writes  to standard output a list containing each object name, its line number, the file name in which it is
       defined, and the text of the line.  This list is a simple index which can be printed out as an off-line readable function index.

Options
       -a		   Appends information to an existing tags file.

-B		   Uses backward search patterns (?...?).

-F		   Uses forward search patterns (/.../) (default).

-t		   Creates typedef tags.

-u		   Updates the specified tags file.  All references to tags are deleted, and the new values  are  appended  to	the  file.
			   Note  that  this  option is implemented in a way which is rather slow.  It is usually faster to simply rebuild the tags
			   file.)

The tag main is treated specially in C programs.  The tag formed is created by prepending M to the name  of	the  file,
			   with  a  trailing  .c  removed,  if	any, and leading pathname components also removed.  This makes use of practical in
			   directories with more than one program.

-v		   Generates an index listing function name, file name, and pages number.  Since the output will be  sorted  into  lexico-
			   graphic order, it may be desired to run the output through sort -f.	For example,
			   ctags -v files | sort -f > index
			   Files  whose  name  ends  in .c or .h are assumed to be C source files and are searched for C routine and macro defini-
			   tions.  Others are first examined to see if they contain any Pascal or Fortran routine definitions; if  not,  they  are
			   processed again looking for C definitions.

-w		   Suppresses warning diagnostics and generates a listing file.  This list contains each object name, its line number, the
			   file name in which it is defined, and the text of the line, and is identical to the list produced when no  options  are
			   given.

-x		   Writes  to  standard  output a list containing each object name, its line number, the file name in whcih it is defined,
			   and the text of the line.

Restrictions
       Recognition of functions, subroutines and procedures for FORTRAN and Pascal do not deal with block structure.  Therefore  you  cannot  have
       two Pascal procedures in different blocks with the same name.

Does not know about #ifdefs.

Does  not know about Pascal types.  Relies on the input being well formed to detect typedefs.  Use of -tx shows only the last line of type-
       defs.

Files
       tags	 output tags file

See Also
       ex(1), vi(1)

ctags(1)