Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Severe Error while starting the System Post 302274335 by csorhand on Wednesday 7th of January 2009 10:36:01 AM
Old 01-07-2009
akhtar.bhat,

Can you login at init 1 and capture the /var/log/messages?

What particular service is the system trying to start when this error occurs.?

Are you using SELINUX?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sun system not starting up

I was having some problems with my sun system so i did an Init 6. now it has been booting up for about 20 minutes and only gets as fare as stting default interface for multicast: add net 224.0.0.0 {gateway machinename}. any sugjestions on what i should do to fix this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thump
1 Replies

2. Solaris

System not starting completely

I have an Ultra 60, running Solaris 5.8. During boot all of a sudden it dies after Yp comes up then the netmasks are set and then I don't see anything any more. How do I tell whats causing it to hang at this point. I can login to it but can't tell what preocess is hung. /var/adm/messages has no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

Starting Home System with a Firewall

I'm a beginner to Unix System Administration and I'd like to start first by having a server setup as a firewall. What would be a good distro to do this with? I'll be running it on an old computer. I plan on using command line only with this box. Also, where can I start reading about doing this?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tr33
2 Replies

4. AIX

Starting web-based system manager?

How does one initiate this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Gurus needed to diagnose severe performance degradation

Hi everyone, newbie forum poster here. I'm an Oracle DBA and I require some guidance from the Unix gurus here about how to pinpoint where a problem is within a Solaris 9 system running on an 8 CPU Fujitsu server that acts as our Oracle database server. Our sysadmins are trying their best to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBA_guy
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background ------------- The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files. File-1 ------ Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe. Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following: 111|XXX 222|YYY 333|ZZZ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik
6 Replies

7. AIX

Ld: 0711-851 SEVERE ERROR:

I need to install python 3.3.0 to AIX 6.1 I created folder where I want to install I downloaded files archive from python official website I extracted it into new folder and ran; 1)./configure --with-gcc="xlc_r" --with-cxx="xlC_r" --disable-ipv6 --prefix=my_folder CXX=xlC_r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Error when starting apache

Due to an activity scheduled on the server, I had stop the apache process and then restart when the activity completed. The activity started at 9am and ended around 9 pm. To list the apache processes that were running on the server before I stopped it, I used ps -ef | grep apache, and these were... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
11 Replies
WHO(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    WHO(1)

NAME
who -- display who is on the system SYNOPSIS
who [-HmqsTu] [am I] [file] DESCRIPTION
The who utility displays information about currently logged in users. By default, this includes the login name, tty name, date and time of login and remote hostname if not local. The options are as follows: -H Write column headings above the output. -m Show information about the terminal attached to standard input only. -q ``Quick mode'': List the names and number of logged in users in columns. All other command line options are ignored. -s Show the name, line and time fields only. This is the default. -T Indicate whether each user is accepting messages. One of the following characters is written: + User is accepting messages. - User is not accepting messages. ? An error occurred. -u Show idle time for each user in hours and minutes as hh:mm, '.' if the user has been idle less that a minute, and ``old'' if the user has been idle more than 24 hours. am I Equivalent to -m. By default, who gathers information from the file /var/run/utmp. An alternate file may be specified which is usually /var/log/wtmp (or /var/log/wtmp.[0-6] depending on site policy as wtmp can grow quite large and daily versions may or may not be kept around after compression by ac(8)). The wtmp file contains a record of every login, logout, crash, shutdown and date change since wtmp was last truncated or created. If /var/log/wtmp is being used as the file, the user name may be empty or one of the special characters '|', '}' and '~'. Logouts produce an output line without any user name. For more information on the special characters, see utmp(5). ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_TIME environment variables affect the execution of who as described in environ(7). FILES
/var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp /var/log/wtmp.[0-6] DIAGNOSTICS
The who utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
last(1), users(1), w(1), utmp(5) STANDARDS
The who utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A who command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 8, 2002 BSD