Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris script hangs when outputing to /dev/console Post 302274317 by vada010 on Wednesday 7th of January 2009 09:26:16 AM
Old 01-07-2009
script hangs when outputing to /dev/console

I am running solaris 8 on a sparcs box. The system is connected to a lightwave console server. I have a script that hangs when sending output to '/dev/console'. Any ideas?

-V

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/console file

Hello, I am fairly new to UNIX. I ran command tty on my shell prompt and it return me /dev/console. I was reading in the book that normally output of tty command is tty01 , tty02 or so on. My question is this is the file for my monitor? UNIX called it Terminal or Workstation? What is this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikabid
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

serial console hangs

I have a HP Visualize C200 running hpux that I am trying to boot into using a null modem through com1 from my Sun Ultra 10. I get all the way to the login prompt and then it becomes innactive and wont let me access the machine anymore. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trajek
2 Replies

3. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

4. Solaris

start /SP/console hangs in X4500

when I type start /SP/console... the console shows up but i cannot type anything over there. I do not understand what might be the reason for that. -> start /SP/console Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y Serial console started. To stop, type ESC ( I pressed enter many... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
8 Replies

5. BSD

Logging to /dev/console

Hi, The output of the cat ttys on a free BSD m/c console none unknown off secure # # Serial terminals # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc. ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown on secure ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup off ttyd2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlalitha
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

console /dev/console get image

We are using software (Pegasys) which runs on SunOS 5.8 and reads images from a Philips nuclear camera. The software is designed to run from the console. I need to be able to capture the images it produces on the display. The caveat is that I cannot use the X Windows display because the X Server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyes27
3 Replies

7. AIX

SSH login hangs, serial console works

Server, running AIX 6.1 developed strange problem when logging in via SSH -- ssh client hangs without any error. It is possible to run commands on server, using ssh ("ssh servername ls -l" is OK) It is possible to log in normally, using serial console connected to server. It was possible to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivar.zarans
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script outputing out numbers when it shouldn't

i suspect the issue is with the IFS part. I have a script that reads a file. the problem here is that, when i run the script, it outputs a bunch of numbers. i know what these numbers are, but i dont understand why they're being sent to the screen. as you can see below, everything should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Capturing console (/dev/ttyS1) logs

Hi, I have been trying to capture console logs from the init script. When the ramfs is mounted, i check if usb is connected , if conncted, i mount it and redirected the console logs like so: cat & /dev/ttyS1 >> /mnt/logs.txt I'm getting /bin/sh : /dev/ttyS1 :permission denied ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Hang when run command with /dev/console

hi guys, I don't know why I run this command: echo a>/dev/console It is not responsed from console and hang. If I run echo a>/dev/null, it is OK. here it is the console file: mcl1101 root#ls -ltr /dev/console lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 30 Aug 18 2009 /dev/console ->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: caspian
4 Replies
sysmsg(7D)							      Devices								sysmsg(7D)

NAME
sysmsg - system message routing to console devices SYNOPSIS
/dev/sysmsg DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/sysmsg routes output to a variable set of console devices. Writes to /dev/sysmsg are always directed to the system console /dev/console, and are in addition directed to a set of auxiliary console devices managed by consadm(1M). Only root has permission to write to this device. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
consadm(1M), syslogd(1M) , attributes(5), console(7D) SunOS 5.10 13 Oct 1998 sysmsg(7D)