Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shift Question (Perl)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shift Question (Perl) Post 302274143 by ifeatu on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 09:34:15 PM
Old 01-06-2009
Shift Question (Perl)

I am attempting to write a script that reads each line of a file into a separate array and does some work on it then puts it all back together and I think I need to use the 'shift()' command to read each line into its own array, but I need help nesting it into a while loop (while not eof)

So here is some of the raw data in the file:

Code:
Vallejo-1991-Jan-20-The_Bride-BLH
Vallejo-1991-Jan-20-The_Bride-BLH
Berkeley-1992-Jan-26-I_Corinth_14-BLH
berkeley-1992-Jan-26-I_Corinth_14-BLH
Union City-1991-July-14-Promises_covenent_of_circumcision-BLH
UC-1991-July-14-Promises_covenent_of_circumcision-BLH

I want the output to replace the Location (Vallejo, etc.) with a consistent syntax (Capital first letter and city spelled out; e.g. Union City, Vallejo, Berkeley, there are only these three locations) AND, more importantly I want to change the Month element into a number (e.g July - 07, Jan -01, unfortunately the abbreviations aren't always consistent, BUT the first three letters usually are (Jul, Jan, Aug, etc.)

So the output of the data above should be:

Vallejo-1991-01-20-The_Bride-BLH
Vallejo-1991-01-20-The_Bride-BLH
Berkeley-1992-01-26-I_Corinth_14-BLH
Berkeley-1992-01-26-I_Corinth_14-BLH
Union City-1991-07-14-Promises_covenent_of_circumcision-BLH
Union City-1991-07-14-Promises_covenent_of_circumcision-BLH

here is what I have so far:
Code:
# Open File containing raw data
open(FILE, "test2.txt") or die("unable to open file");

# read file into an array
@RawData = <FILE>;
close(FILE);
while (<>) {

#read in Folder name
@FileNames = shift(@RawData);

I know how to write the code to split the data into arrays BUT I dont know how to analyze and replace the data...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift command

There is an error when i am trying to use the shift command in this way: ($1 = -d, $2 = 123, $3 = -c etc etc) for $arg in $@ do case $arg in "-d") shift; (so that the $2 will become the $arg now) (and while it loop the 2nd time,) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift command

Hi Folks, In shell scripting the maximum no. of command line parameters becomes 9(Am i right). If we want to get more than 9 parameters we use the shift command. Even here there are two possibilities. 1. Without the use of variables - The arguments are lost and the lost no. is equal to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding the shift command???

I am running a program where in I have this command which is giving error the shift: number is not correct. can you please tell me how shift actually works? the line which is giving error is- set $PARAM; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift; shift Is it related somewhere to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift and push question in perl

hi, another perl question, I don't understand the below while (<FILE>) { push @last5, $_; #add to the end shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 ; #take from the beginning } can someone please explain to me how does shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 is taking last 5 lines from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift not working

Hi, I wrote one script, in between script needs to use 10th and 11th positional parameters, that time i used "shift". Here i am facing the below find problem, ./DataCount.sh: cannot shift I tried 1) I have read man pages for shift 2) Before but * and ** 3) Simple shift with out giving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script assistance with shift J

Hey all, I need some assistance. I'm writing a script to eject tapes from a tape library, but the library is not a queued system and can only eject 15 tapes at a time. I added paste -d : -s so that it goes through full_tapes and puts each media_id on one line separated by the :. Now I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Shift into UNIX

Hi, Firstly, I did a search for this question both on this site and on the internet and have not been able to find a suitable answer that is not general in nature. I have always been a Windows user. I use my girl friend's mac every now and then, but I always come back to windows. For a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mearex
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Shift command

Hello Expert Can any one please explain what is the use of shift command in general terms: set -- $(ls -t) shift rm -Rf $* what is the use of shift command over here. Thanks a lot for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with a Perl Script using Pop, Shift, & Push

Hello everyone, I am new to Perl and I am having some issues getting a script to work. I have to create a script that uses an array of 52 cards, "shuffles" the cards (using loops with the pop, shift, and push commands), and prints out the top five. This is not a randomizing of the array just a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift command help

#!/bin/bash hostname=$1; shift for hostname in $1 do ping $hostname done I want to run the above script as hostname.sh yahoo.com google.com cnn.com. I want to shift each hostname to $1. How can do that with above code as currently it's not shifting. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
5 Replies
WILDMAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							WILDMAT(3)

NAME
wildmat - perform shell-style wildcard matching SYNOPSIS
int wildmat(text, pattern) char *text; char *pattern; DESCRIPTION
Wildmat is part of libinn (3). Wildmat compares the text against the pattern and returns non-zero if the pattern matches the text. The pattern is interpreted according to rules similar to shell filename wildcards, and not as a full regular expression such as those handled by the grep(1) family of programs or the regex(3) or regexp(3) set of routines. The pattern is interpreted as follows: x Turns off the special meaning of x and matches it directly; this is used mostly before a question mark or asterisk, and is not spe- cial inside square brackets. ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [x...y] Matches any single character specified by the set x...y. A minus sign may be used to indicate a range of characters. That is, [0-5abc] is a shorthand for [012345abc]. More than one range may appear inside a character set; [0-9a-zA-Z._] matches almost all of the legal characters for a host name. The close bracket, ], may be used if it is the first character in the set. The minus sign, -, may be used if it is either the first or last character in the set. [^x...y] This matches any character not in the set x...y, which is interpreted as described above. For example, [^]-] matches any character other than a close bracket or minus sign. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> in 1986, and posted to Usenet several times since then, most notably in comp.sources.misc in March, 1991. Lars Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk> enhanced the multi-asterisk failure mode in early 1991. Rich and Lars increased the efficiency of star patterns and reposted it to comp.sources.misc in April, 1991. Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au> added minus sign and close bracket handling in June, 1991. This is revision 1.10, dated 1992/04/03. SEE ALSO
grep(1), regex(3), regexp(3). WILDMAT(3)