Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rename multiple files from search output Post 302274103 by woodstock on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 04:51:18 PM
Old 01-06-2009
Thanks for your suggestions folks. Handy forum. I've not tried perl before but will have a read up. I think for the time being i will stick with the "for i" & "while" methods for this though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files

Hello, I want to rename multiple files at a time and I don't know how to do it. I have various ".mp3" files, like "band name - music name.mp3" and I want to remove the "band name" from all files. Anybody knows how to do it using shell script or sed or even perl? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiz_fer10
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple files

Hi, can anyone have a ksh script to rename multiple files (ie to remove .Z extension of the files) can someone correct this? for i in *.Z do var1 = substr($i, 1,at(".Z",$i)-1) mv $i $var1 done Thanks.. Antony (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

now to rename multiple files

I have several hundred files in one directory which I need to move to another directory with the new extension, for example: /bb/data/rptmgr* are in the source directory need to be moved to /bb/data55/rptmgr*.new Is there an efficient way to do it? Thanks -A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename multiple files

Hi all, I have some files like: pickup.0000043200.t001.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t001.t002.data pickup.0000043200.t002.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t002.t002.data pickup.0000043200.t003.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t003.t002.data I need to rename these files to ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_dor8
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the multiple files

Hi I need to reanme the multiple file using unix script I have multiple file like: sample_YYYYMMDD.xls test new_YYYYMMDD.xls simple_YYYYMMDD.xls I need to rename this file sample.xls testnew.xls SIMPLE.xls thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: murari83.ds
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unzip files and Rename the Output-files

Hi all, I have a many folders with zipped files in them. The zipped files are txt files from different folders. The txt files have the same names. If i try to find . -type f -name "*.zip" -exec cp -R {} /myhome/ZIP \; it fails since the ZIP files from different folders have the same names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmkenya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Search, Extract and Rename Multiple Files

Hi, I want perl script for the below requirement. We have lot of files like below name in the directory 750464921-RE-file2.csv 750452173-RE-file1.csv 750385426-RE-file3.csv 750373470-RE-file4.csv And also we have another file as "Group.csv" in the same directory as per the below format... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: armsaran
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename multiple files at one go?

Hi, I have hundreds of files with XXX in their file name and I want to rename all of them with YYY in place of XXX. for ex: $ ls -1 123XXX789 345XXX678 Output $ ls -1 123YYY789 345YYY678 I know we can loop in each file and sed to replace and rename each file but ren *XXX* *YYY*... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies
mvdir(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mvdir(1)

NAME
mvdir - Moves (renames) a directory SYNOPSIS
mvdir directory1 directory2 DESCRIPTION
The mvdir command renames directories within a file system. To use mvdir, you must have write permission to directory1 and directory2 and to the parent directories of directory1 and directory2. The directory1 argument must name an existing directory. If directory2 does not exist, directory1 is moved to directory2. If directory2 exists, directory1 becomes a subdirectory of directory2. directory2 cannot be a subdirectory of directory1. Directories cannot be moved across file systems. You can also rename a directory with the mv command. NOTES
This command was made obsolete by the mv command. EXAMPLES
To rename or move a directory to another location, enter: mvdir appendixes manual If manual does not exist, then this renames the directory appendixes to manual. If a directory named manual already exists, this moves appendixes and its contents to manual/appendixes. In other words, appendixes becomes a subdirectory of manual. SEE ALSO
Commands: mkdir(1), mv(1) Functions: rename(2) mvdir(1)