Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer? Post 302274084 by Corona688 on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 03:25:01 PM
Old 01-06-2009
I can't see any effective difference aside from the extra complications of effectively returning two values in your first example. I'd tend to avoid that kind of redundancy in case my fumble fingers ever cause one to contradict the other.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. Programming

Regarding char Pointer

Hi, char *s="yamaha"; cout<<s<<endl; int *p; int i=10; p=&i; cout<<p<<endl; 1) For the 1st "cout" we will get "yamaha" as output. That is we are getting "content of the address" for cout<<s. 2) But for integer "cout<<p" we are getting the "address only". Please clarify how we are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta
2 Replies

3. Programming

pointer problem

could any one tell why the following is showing segmentation fault while using **ptr but working fine using **a #include<stdio.h> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

4. Programming

far pointer

what is far pointer in C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

5. Programming

How to return void function pointer

Hello all im trying to build function that will return void function pointer what is mean is ( not working ) the main function void * myClass::getFunction(int type){ if(type==1) return &myClass::Test1; if(type==2) return &myClass::Test2; } void myClass::Test1(){... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

6. Programming

matrix pointer

Can anyone tell me what the following statements do? float (*tab); tab=(float (*)) calloc(MAXCLASS, (MAXCLASS+1)*sizeof(float)); (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer Arithmetic In C

I have a fundamental question on C pointer arithmetry.. Suppose i have a c string pointer already pointing to a valid location, Can I just do a charptr = charptr +1; to get to the next location, irregardless if my program is 32 or 64 bits? or should i do it this way: charptr =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

8. Programming

Pointer to pointers

Hi guys, I'm trying to understand pointers in C and made a simple example and I've problems with It. Can someone help? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> int f1(char **str_); int main(int argc, char **argv) { char *str = NULL; f1(&str); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer for 2D array seems to be 3D in C

I am struggling with the pointer to 2D-array (cf: 2D array of pointers). Can anybody help me elaborate how the pointer x moves in the memory to access the individual of y, especially the high lighted lines? I have talked to one of the curators of the forum, but I am still not quite clear. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies

10. Programming

Segmentation fault when I pass a char pointer to a function in C.

I am passing a char* to the function "reverse" and when I execute it with gdb I get: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000000000040083b in reverse (s=0x400b2b "hello") at pointersExample.c:72 72 *q = *p; Attached is the source code. I do not understand why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies
J0(3)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     J0(3)

NAME
j0, j0f, j0l, j1, j1f, j1l, jn, jnf, jnl, y0, y0f, y0l, y1, y1f, y1l, yn, ynf, ynl - Bessel functions SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> double j0(double x); double j1(double x); double jn(int n, double x); double y0(double x); double y1(double x); double yn(int n, double x); float j0f(float x); float j1f(float x); float jnf(int n, float x); float y0f(float x); float y1f(float x); float ynf(int n, float x); long double j0l(long double x); long double j1l(long double x); long double jnl(int n, long double x); long double y0l(long double x); long double y1l(long double x); long double ynl(int n, long double x); DESCRIPTION
The j0() and j1() functions return Bessel functions of x of the first kind of orders 0 and 1, respectively. The jn() function returns the Bessel function of x of the first kind of order n. The y0() and y1() functions return Bessel functions of x of the second kind of orders 0 and 1, respectively. The yn() function returns the Bessel function of x of the second kind of order n. For the functions y0(), y1() and yn(), the value of x must be positive. For negative values of x, these functions return -HUGE_VAL. The j0f() etc. and j0l() etc. functions are versions that take and return float and long double values, respectively. CONFORMING TO
The functions returning double conform to SVID 3, BSD 4.3, XPG4, POSIX 1003.1-2001. The other functions exist by analogy, and exist on sev- eral platforms. BUGS
There are errors of up to 2e-16 in the values returned by j0(), j1() and jn() for values of x between -8 and 8. 2002-08-25 J0(3)