Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove accents and symbols with sed Post 302274058 by mitthan on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 01:57:19 PM
Old 01-06-2009
Please use this command
sed -e "s/\º//g" -e "s/\ª//g" tt1.txt> tt2.txt

I have tested it with this input
tt1.txt input file contains
helªlo º helªlo2º
helªlo3º

output file tt2.txt comtains
hello hello2
hello3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error When Print Accents

I like to know how to print accent when use the command lp -d <file>. This <file> contain the following accents (e.g. é, á, ê, ã, ç) and anothers accents, please i need to help. thank´s (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: edvaldo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

new lines symbols in sed?

I want to edit a huge script file using sed. How can I add the new lines symbols in the red colored places? sed -e "s/test -z "$x"/if test -z "$x" then echo -1; \n else \n/g" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gogogo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace symbols by position using SED

Hi all, I need your help. For example I have string in file.txt: -x -a /tmp/dbarchive_NSS_20081204 -f 900 -l 1 2008/12/04 2008/12/04 So, I need to replace symbols from (for e.g.) position 26 till 33 with symbols which I have in file replace.txt And I have no idea how to do it. If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nypreH
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove weird symbols

Hi my file is suffering from some weird text symbols like a question mark inside of a square. I don't know how to remove these. I tried to remove UTF accents with command sed -e 's/^*Width:*//' -e 's/*$//'` but no use . Could u guyz plz help me. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with using a sed to add escape character \ before $ and ' symbols

Hi all, I've got a problem with sed. Want to use it to add escape character \ before $ and ' symbols so condition='1'$some will become condition=\'1\'\$some echo "condition='1'$some" | sed 's/\($\)/\\\1/g' is not working properly. Can somebody help me with this please? Regards,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johny_be_good
7 Replies

6. Slackware

cp does not like filenames with accents?

Hi: mkisofs -graft-points -rational-rock -joliet -joliet-long -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -o /tmp/image.iso STORE1/=/almacen/strauss In /almacen/strauss there are filenames containing not only spaces but accented characters as well. I burned the image to DVD, with the result that all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stf92
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command for removing symbols

Hi I am trying to remove all the symbols in a file (testfile1) and using the below command to do that. Its not working for me. Can you help me on what is wrong with below script? I want to retain only alphabets in a file and remove all the symbols like *:.+= etc sed 's/^.//g' testfile1 > testfile2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepcm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove line if field has symbols in it

Trying to use awk to remove a line only if $1 contains either ; or :. Thje awk below runs but no lines are removed. Thank you :). awk awk '$1 !~ /;/ || $1 !~ /:/ { print }' file file AARS2;TMEM151B 1 AASS 2 ABAT 3 ABCA1 3 ABCA10 1 ABCA12 2 ABCA13 1 ABCA13:AX746840 2 ABCA2 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed, how replace specific symbols between two patterns

I have a big xmltv file with many lines like: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tv> <channel id="channel 1 +3HD"> <display-name lang="it">channel +3HD</display-name> <icon src="http://mywebsite.com/dsgbnjfdc65657/channel +3HD.png" /> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing unwanted symbols with sed

I would like produce blue, green, red, yellowfrom"blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellowI can remove the colon with echo "blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellow" | sed 's/://g'which givesblue,*green,*red,*yellowbut when I try echo "blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellow" | sed 's/://g'; 's/*//g'I get bash: s/*//g: No such... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
9 Replies
PS2ASCII(1)							 Ghostscript Tools						       PS2ASCII(1)

NAME
ps2ascii - Ghostscript translator from PostScript or PDF to ASCII SYNOPSIS
ps2ascii [ input.ps [ output.txt ] ] ps2ascii input.pdf [ output.txt ] DESCRIPTION
ps2ascii uses gs(1) to extract ASCII text from PostScript(tm) or Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files. If no files are specified on the command line, gs reads from standard input; but PDF input must come from an explicitly-named file, not standard input. If no output file is specified, the ASCII text is written to standard output. ps2ascii doesn't look at font encoding, and isn't very good at dealing with kerning, so for PostScript (but not currently PDF), you might consider pstotext (see below). FILES
Run "gs -h" to find the location of Ghostscript documentation on your system, from which you can get more details. SEE ALSO
pstotext(1), http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/virtualpaper/pstotext.html VERSION
This document was last revised for Ghostscript version 8.70. AUTHOR
Artifex Software, Inc. are the primary maintainers of Ghostscript. David M. Jones <dmjones@theory.lcs.mit.edu> made substantial improve- ments to ps2ascii. 8.70 31 July 2009 PS2ASCII(1)