Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xml code in bash shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xml code in bash shell Post 302273958 by the wonderer on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 09:59:21 AM
Old 01-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Sawant
are you trying to accept some parameters from the user and put them in an XML file? that's possible. sed or perl would be of help.
Hi Yogesh,

Thanks for responding, Smilie

Yes, I am trying to do that. But the xml code is not separated. To be more specific:

What I am trying to do is to put the xml code in a sub function or a message that can be called later in the script, as the following:

Code:
#! /bin/bash

message= "POST /Servername HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Admin
Host: localhost
Authorization: Basic <authentication>
Content-Type: text/xml
Content-Length: 915

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<...>"

# To run the xml code:
$message | telnet 0 10010

The problem is that after the telnet is done the XML request is not seen by the server.

Can you please explain how I can use the perl or sed?

Thanks again !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Parse XML from bash script

I am completely new to bash scripting and now need to write a bash script that would parse a XML file and take out values from specific tags. I tried using xsltproc, xml_grep commands. But the issue is that the XML i am trying to parse is not UTF 8. so those commands are unable to parse my XML's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar.g
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash XML Parsing using Perl XPath

I have a bash script that needs to read input from an XML file, which includes varying numbers of a certain type of child node. I want to be able to iterate through all the child nodes of a given parent. I installed the Perl XML-XPath package from search.cpan.org. Once it's installed, from bash,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfmorales
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW to run a bash-code in a c-shell script ??

Is there a way to run some code in a C-shell script by different shell, like bash? I have that situation. I have prepared and perfectly workable bash-skript that now I have to execute under C-shell script, divide it on steps and without creating a new files (with the bash-code parts.) For... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for XML code parsing.

Please help me to create a shell script that can parse the below XML and send a string back adding all XML values.:) <RequestBillsRsp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xtatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for XML code parsing.

I need to create a shell script that can parse the below XML and send a string back adding all XML values. The text which's not in angular braces are to be printed. Sample code: <RequestBillsRsp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtatic
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Command to compare two xml lines while ignoring xml tags

I've got two different files and want to compare them. File 1 : HTML Code: <response ticketId="944" type="getQueryResults"><status>COMPLETE</status><description>Query results fetched successfully</description><recordSet totalCount="1" type="sms_records"><record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add Xml tags to an existing xml using shell or awk?

Hi , I have a below xml: <ns:Body> <ns:result> <Date Month="June" Day="Monday:/> </ns:result> </ns:Body> i have a lookup abc.txtt text file with below details Month June July August Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday I need a output xml with below tags <ns:Body> <ns:result>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Comment code blocks in a bash source file

Just began to learn on Shell Script. I got an exercise from my friend. I know how to make this happen in C, but I'm not familiar with Shell Script. Hope I can get some help from all of you. I want to write a bash script to comment code blocks in a bash source file. What I mean comment is '#', I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HiFuture0801
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pull multiple XML tags from the same XML file in Shell.?

I'm searching for the names of a TV show in the XML file I've attached at the end of this post. What I'm trying to do now is pull out/list the data from each of the <SeriesName> tags throughout the document. Currently, I'm only able to get data the first instance of that XML field using the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
9 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)