Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pfiles and pstack and ptree
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat pfiles and pstack and ptree Post 302273953 by bdsffl on Tuesday 6th of January 2009 09:43:29 AM
Old 01-06-2009
pfiles and pstack and ptree

Can someone tell me the Linux equivalent for pstack and pfiles and ptree which are Solaris commands.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

functionalities of PFILES

Hello every body. Do anyone describe to me functionalities of PFILES (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoang
2 Replies

2. Solaris

pstack usage on Solaris 9

Hello everyone, I have a 12-thread application running on Solaris 9. When I use the pstack command after a typical core dump, it prints the stack output of all 12 threads/lwps. This is the standard procedure as it is described in the Solaris MAN pages. Is there a way to filter out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gregb32
1 Replies

3. Gentoo

ptree for linux

at work, I'm a UNIX administrator, but at home I use openSUSE 11. One of the commands that I use to assist me in trouble shooting A LOT is called ptree process tree. does anyone know of a ptree for linux? yes, I can just use ps -ef and see who the parent pid is and then 'ps -ef | grep <parent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: james.witte
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to get the filepath and filenames in pfiles PID command?

Hi, When I use pfiles PID, it displays the below output and i just see the inode, can i able to get the full path and file name? pl help me on this. Current rlimit: 8192 file descriptors 0: S_IFCHR mode:0620 dev:308,0 ino:12582968 uid:1001378434 gid:7 rdev:24,26 O_RDWR ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

prstat from ptree ...

Hi, I know how to figure out the list of PID from my application name : ptree `pgrep MyApp` | awk '{print $1}' But I dont know how to pipe it for prstat -p <pidlist> ptree `pgrep MyApp` | awk '{print $1}' | prstat -p ??? I would like to monitor every ptree PID from my application. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickTrader
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for pfiles command not working

Hi, I Have downloaded script for pfiles command, It is written to make it run on Linux, But I could not make out on which language it is written,kindly help me in executing this script:( link: http://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/process/pfiles.stp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thehulkom
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

pstack missing from Ubuntu 10.10

Hi All I would like to use the tool "pstack" to get a sample of the stack trace for a process. As far as I understood It seems widely available in all Linux systems, but it is not in Ubuntu 10.10. I tried using apt-get as per some posts in few forum, but it cannot be found in the APT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
9 Replies

8. Solaris

significance of pfiles

What is the significance of pfiles? What is the use of it and how and where to use it?:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
2 Replies

9. Solaris

pstack file analysis

Hi ... Can you please share how to analyse pstack file and various options for core dump analysis (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand87
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pfiles command equivalent in Linux

May i know what is the equivalent tool in linux for pflies in solaris. ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
PSTACK(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 PSTACK(1)

NAME
pstack - print a stack trace of running processes SYNOPSIS
pstack pid [...] DESCRIPTION
pstack attaches to the active processes named by the pids on the command line, and prints out an execution stack trace, including a hint at what the function arguments are. If symbols exist in the binary (usually the case unless you have run strip(1)), then symbolic addresses are printed as well. If the process is part of a thread group, then pstack will print out a stack trace for each of the threads in the group. RESTRICTIONS
pstack currently works only on Linux, only on an x86 machine running 32 bit ELF binaries (64 bit not supported). Also, for symbolic infor- mation, you need to use a GNU compiler to generate your program, and you can't strip symbols from the binaries. For thread information to be dumped, you have to use the debug-aware version of the LinuxThreads libpthread.so library. (To check, run nm(1) on your pthreads library, and make sure that the symbol "__pthread_threads_debug" is defined.) Threads are not supported with the newer NPTL libpthread.so library. SEE ALSO
nm(1), ptrace(2) AUTHORS
Ross Thompson <ross@whatsis.com> Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> Red Hat Linux Feb 25 2002 PSTACK(1)