Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting provide a user password from a script Post 302273614 by solaix14 on Monday 5th of January 2009 10:23:54 AM
Old 01-05-2009
provide a user password from a script

Hi all,
passwd <username> < /var/adm/passwd.txt

cat /var/adm/passwd.txt
abcd1234
abcd1234

when I run this from the script, it comes with:
New password:

It is not able to pick from the location /var/adm/passwd.txt.
thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add new user and password through script

Hi Everybody I want to write a script in solaris that will add user and set his password. How I will do that. Moreover, if anybody knows where can i find documentation, material and downloads for sample scripts in solaris then please tell me. Thanx Ehsan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ehsan
1 Replies

2. AIX

changing unix user password using script

Hi sir, i need help in scripting.. i have 30 users like below eda01 eda02 eda03 eda04 ..... ...... eda30 I want to reset all users password start with eda01 until eda30 to default password 1234 how do i do this using script, i dunt want system prompt me for password.. i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To provide restricted access to certain user's on linux box

Hi, I need to provide execute access to certain users and not to all users For ex: if ther is a file /home/august/aug.sh. and there are user's like jan,feb,mar,april,May and jan is the owner of that box. I need to provide execute access to feb and mar only. I also know the root pwd for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
3 Replies

4. Programming

How to provide password to the prompt through Java

Hi All, I am using Ubuntu machine with JDK 6. I am running following command on shell- sudo ./somecript . Now, it prompts for sudo password and I provide the sudo password on shell and "somescript" starts running with sudo permissions. What I want to do is, I need to execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaibhim
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to change a user password using script

Hi Experts, I had tried to executes this script to change the user password through script: No lines in buffer #!/bin/ksh cat /etc/passwd | grep -v userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp1 cat /etc/passwd | grep userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp2 PASS1=`cat /tmp/pass.tmp2 | cut -d ":" -f2` PASS2=`q2w3e4r5` sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_renu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How the user will provide the parameters for Oracle db connection in a shell script?

I'm new into unix. My question: is possible to write a shell script which will ask for the ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID, USERNAME, PASSWORD to connect to Oracle db. In generally we have to set the ORACLE_HOME in .profile file. And after putting the 'sqlplus' command it asks for the username &... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya001
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Provide execute permission to a user

Hi, I have a shell script(test.sh) and need to give execute permission for this shell script to user group cobr_sftp and oracle. Could you please help as to how to give this permission. I have already given full access(777) to script test.sh. Does this mean all the users/user group can access... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Provide Password using to the application using the shell script

Hello, I have a requirement to shut down and start up my application on different environments (Dev, QA and Prod). I have around 24 servers. I have to login to each server manually for shutinng down the application. I wrote a shell command on each server and I am invoking those shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GDSR Raju
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to provide password?

Hi , I am trying to unzip some file in a dir using shell script ,but it prompts for password to unzip those files ,how would i provide the passoword in the script it self (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
1 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to provide password for rsync in shell script?

Hi, i want to call the rsync in a shell script so that i can run it in background by passing the password within script itself. Can any one please let me know how can i provide the password in the shell script itself so that rsync will read the password when promted by the script. Its very... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
11 Replies
mkpwdict(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      mkpwdict(1M)

NAME
mkpwdict - maintain password-strength checking database SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkpwdict [-s dict1,... ,dictN] [-d destination-path] DESCRIPTION
The mkpwdict command adds words to the dictionary-lookup database used by pam_authtok_check(5) and passwd(1). Files containing words to be added to the database can be specified on the command-line using the -s flag. These source files should have a single word per line, much like /usr/share/lib/dict/words. If -s is omitted, mkpwdict will use the value of DICTIONLIST specified in /etc/default/passwd (see passwd(1)). The database is created in the directory specified by the -d option. If this option is omitted, mkpwdict uses the value of DICTIONDBDIR specified in /etc/default/passwd (see passwd(1)). The default location is /var/passwd. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s Specifies a comma-separated list of files containing words to be added to the dictionary-lookup database. -d Specifies the target location of the dictionary-database. FILES
/etc/default/passwd See passwd(1). /var/passwd default destination directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), attributes(5), pam_authtok_check(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Jun 2004 mkpwdict(1M)