Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to check whether a directory or filename path is valid or not Post 302273347 by arukr on Sunday 4th of January 2009 07:21:55 AM
Old 01-04-2009
I'm retyping the question as suggested

Script on execution should take a directory path from user and a numeric input.it should flag in case of input missing or wrong path .All files inside directory greater than a the numeric input specified should be copied to another directory temp .At last the total copied file size in temp should be displayed .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a valid numeric input

Hi Folks, I'm using bash script. I would like to check whether input is a number or not.(Only positive numbers).. if space or non numeric is entered, it should say "invalid input". pls help.. thanks in adv. Br/// Vijay. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help I want script to check filename, size and date in specify path.

Please help, I want script to check filename, size and date in specify path. I want output as: DATE: YYYYMMDD HH:MM ------------------------------------------------ fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd HH:MM fileA,filesize,yyyy mm dd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akeji
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash shell - Check if value is valid directory.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The script usage will be as follows: library.third source_directory - Your script will display an appropriate error message and exit with status 3 if no parameters are given - Your script will display an appropriate error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check for valid password

I need to check if an account has a valid password. Would something like this work? read ACCNAME if grep -q "^$ACCNAME:\$6:" /etc/shadow; thenI noticed every entry in my shadow file that has a password starts with $6 ... it works for my current setup, but would it always work? I can't test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a filename in a directory starts with a certain string

Hello, Trying to iterate over set of file in current directory and check if the file name in that folder matches certain string. This is what I have so far. Here I am checking if the file name starts with nexus, if so echo file name to log file. Getting weird syntax errors. Any help is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if file contains valid strings?

Hi All, I am a newbie...I would like to have a function which ll check if a file contains valid strings before "=" operator. Just to give you my requirement: assume my file has content: hello= gsdgsd sfdsg sgdsg sgdgdg world= gggg hhhh iiiii xxxx= pppp ppppp pppp my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtagarra
5 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Check dir for overly path+filename and list in txt

Well since Windows always laments over some of my files having a too long "path+filename" and it gets in the way of copying complete directory structures I would love to have a DOS Script that helps me with finding those. I already tried DCSoft Long Filename Finder but that is neither DOS based... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a string is a valid timestamp in UNIX.

Hi all, I have date and time value in a string, I want to check if it is a valid date and time. Need help on this. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if time format is valid

How can I validate if time (HH:MM:SS) argument is valid? I got this from web but I can't modify it to exit the script if the time argument is invalid. echo $1 | awk -F ':' '{ print ($1 <= 23 && $2 <= 59 && $3 <= 59) ? "good" : "bad" }' ex: ./script.ksh 12:34:21 = okay ./script.ksh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for valid hostnames

Hello, I am trying to develop a script to check for valid hostnames. Below are the prerequisites for a valid hostname which I got from wiki : Hostnames are composed of series of labels concatenated with dots, as are all domain names. For example, "en.wikipedia.org" is a hostname. Each label... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
8 Replies
OPENDIR(3)								 1								OPENDIR(3)

opendir - Open directory handle

SYNOPSIS
resource opendir (string $path, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Opens up a directory handle to be used in subsequent closedir(3), readdir(3), and rewinddir(3) calls. PARAMETERS
o $path - The directory path that is to be opened o $context - For a description of the $context parameter, refer to the streams section of the manual. RETURN VALUES
Returns a directory handle resource on success, or FALSE on failure. If $path is not a valid directory or the directory can not be opened due to permission restrictions or filesystem errors, opendir(3) returns FALSE and generates a PHP error of level E_WARNING. You can suppress the error output of opendir(3) by prepending '@' to the front of the function name. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | $path supports the ftp:// URL wrapper. | | | | | 4.3.0 | | | | | | | $path can also be any URL which supports direc- | | | tory listing, however only the file:// URL wrap- | | | per supports this in PHP 4 | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 opendir(3) example <?php $dir = "/etc/php5/"; // Open a known directory, and proceed to read its contents if (is_dir($dir)) { if ($dh = opendir($dir)) { while (($file = readdir($dh)) !== false) { echo "filename: $file : filetype: " . filetype($dir . $file) . " "; } closedir($dh); } } ?> The above example will output something similar to: filename: . : filetype: dir filename: .. : filetype: dir filename: apache : filetype: dir filename: cgi : filetype: dir filename: cli : filetype: dir SEE ALSO
is_dir(3), readdir(3), dir(3). PHP Documentation Group OPENDIR(3)