Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Wireless and Sound Problems with HP Pavilion dv7 and Fedora Core 10 Post 302273215 by bakunin on Saturday 3rd of January 2009 07:04:33 AM
Old 01-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
Can you bring up an wireless connection manually with iwconfig?
First off, thanks for mentioning it, lacking Linux experience i didn't know this command.

As it is, it didn't work. Here is what i did:

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 key s:<my-key>
iwconfig wlan0 essid <my-essid>
dhclient wlan0

All these commands proceeded without error, but there was still no wireless connection after that.

Quote:
For sound, you could try the following in /etc/modprode.d/sound (or whatever filename is appropriate on fedora)
I found a file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and modified it according to your suggestions. In fact it had a single line "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" already in it.

Alas "update-modules" is not available on my system. I investigated and to my current information it is a tool solely used on S390 systems. If it is available on PC systems too where can i download it? Anyway, i rebooted, which should have the same effect but still no luck with the sound.

Quote:
You can run a command line speaker test with
Code:
speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

I ran this command but it hangs indefinitely:

Code:
[root@mysystem ~]# speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is plug:front
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 01-03-2009 at 10:14 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problems with sound card on FreeBSD 4.5

Hi,friends!!! I have a problem with my integrated sound card AC97 on i815 and my version of FreeBSD is 4.5.I know that there is a driver for it called ich.c.gz,but the site containing it is unavaliable now.And is there another driver or some other ideas ? z-z-z-z-z :: email removed :: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kruch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sound Problems

Hi All I am having difficulty configuring sound on my system an wonder if anyone can help me. xmms refuses to play telling me that oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/sound/dsp): No such file or directory what I have done to try and fix this is 1. create /dev/sound/dsp ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux xmms sound problems

Dear all, I have been using suse linux for as long as I can remember. However, for every installation I get the same problem. Once the installation is completed, and all of my devices (brand new hardware, from reknown brands) are detected, I decide to start doing some work, and play some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
2 Replies

4. Linux

Using Fedora Core 2

I've been using FC2, but my sound card doesn't work I'm new with linux systems.. but there says that needs to recompile kernel how can i do it with a kernel 2.6.5 i386 ? by the way,. my sound card chipset is an ESS 1869F, with a compaq deskpro Smal Form Factor. but i have not found a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quake
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Fedora Core 2 Problems

I am very new at learning Linux/Unix so please bear with me. I am taking a Unix course and I had to install Fedora Core 2 on my laptop PC using Microsoft Virtual PC software. After installing the virtual PC software, I installed the fedora cd's that came with the course. My problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newby
0 Replies

6. Linux

No Sound [Sigmatel C-Major Audio] :: Fedora 7

I've been fighting for a few days now with trying to get my soundcard to recognize. I am currently using a Latitude D630 with Sigmatel C-Major Audio using the Intel ICH8 Family. My problem appears to be that the computer cannot detect a sound card but it was only able to install default drivers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grid-lyn
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having wireless Internet problems

I feel like the true definition of a newb but I guess you gotta start somewhere. I installed Gentoo on my laptop yesterday, it's a gnome based environment and I cannot get any wireless internet. The iwconfig and net-setup commands are not being recognized. I'm not sure what the problem is, I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessparkscars
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sound Problems

My sound is messed up. All I get is white noise when I try to watch Youtube or something. I'm running Solaris 10 SPARC on a Sun Ultra 5, which has a built-in speaker. How do I fix it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
4 Replies

9. Linux

Enabling/Configuring the Wireless on Fedora 9

Hi All, I have dula OS on my system. With Windows and Linux(FC9). On Windows wireless setting works fine with wireless enabled. Have installed Linux recently. Wireless is enabled, but i am not sure how to configure or make settings. My laptop is Compaq and OS is FC9. Please can anybody help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakash.kudreka
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

Wireless stopped working- Fedora 12

I installed F12 around the time it was released and it picked up my wireless card and worked like a charm.....Suddenly last week everything stopped working and I receive what appears to be a driver error when wlan0 tries to load. Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woodson2
1 Replies
SPEAKER-TEST(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   SPEAKER-TEST(1)

NAME
speaker-test - command-line speaker test tone generator for ALSA SYNOPSIS
speaker-test [-options] DESCRIPTION
speaker-test generates a tone that can be used to test the speakers of a computer. OPTIONS
-c | --channels NUM NUM channels in stream -D | --device NAME PCM device name NAME -f | --frequency FREQ sine wave of FREQ Hz --help Print usage help -b | --buffer TIME Use buffer size of TIME microseconds. When 0 is given, use the maximal buffer size. The default value is 0. -p | --period TIME Use period size of TIME microseconds. When 0 is given, the periods given by -P option is used. The default value is 0. -P | --nperiods ERIODS Use number of periods. The default value is 4. -r | --rate RATE stream of RATE Hz -t | --test pink|sine|wav -t pink means use pink noise (default). Pink noise is perceptually uniform noise -- that is, it sounds like every frequency at once. If you can hear any tone it may indi- cate resonances in your speaker system or room. -t sine means to use sine wave. -t wav means to play WAV files, either pre-defined files or given via -w option. You can pass the number from 1 to 3 as a backward compatibility. -l | --nloops COUNT Specifies the number of loops. Zero means to run infinitely. When -s option below with a valid channel is given, speaker-test will perform always a single-shot without looping. -s | --speaker CHANNEL Do a single-shot speaker test for the given channel. The channel number starts from 1. The channel number corresponds to left, right, rear-left, rear-right, center, LFE, side-left, side-right, and so on. For example, when 1 is passed, it tests the left channel only once rather than both channels with looping. -w | --wavfile Use the given WAV file for the playback instead of pre-defined WAV files. -W | --wavdir Specify the directory containing WAV files for playback. The default path is /usr/share/sounds/alsa. USAGE EXAMPLES
Produce stereo sound from one stereo jack: speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 Produce 4 speaker sound from two stereo jacks: speaker-test -Dplug:surround40 -c4 Produce 5.1 speaker sound from three stereo jacks: speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 To send a nice low 75Hz tone to the Woofer and then exit without touching any other speakers: speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -s1 -f75 AUTHOR
The speaker-test program was written by James Courtier-Dutton. Pink noise support was added by Nathan Hurst. Further extensions by Takashi Iwai. speaker-test 20 September 2004 SPEAKER-TEST(1)