Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Wireless and Sound Problems with HP Pavilion dv7 and Fedora Core 10 Post 302273215 by bakunin on Saturday 3rd of January 2009 07:04:33 AM
Old 01-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
Can you bring up an wireless connection manually with iwconfig?
First off, thanks for mentioning it, lacking Linux experience i didn't know this command.

As it is, it didn't work. Here is what i did:

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 key s:<my-key>
iwconfig wlan0 essid <my-essid>
dhclient wlan0

All these commands proceeded without error, but there was still no wireless connection after that.

Quote:
For sound, you could try the following in /etc/modprode.d/sound (or whatever filename is appropriate on fedora)
I found a file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and modified it according to your suggestions. In fact it had a single line "options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1" already in it.

Alas "update-modules" is not available on my system. I investigated and to my current information it is a tool solely used on S390 systems. If it is available on PC systems too where can i download it? Anyway, i rebooted, which should have the same effect but still no luck with the sound.

Quote:
You can run a command line speaker test with
Code:
speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

I ran this command but it hangs indefinitely:

Code:
[root@mysystem ~]# speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.18

Playback device is plug:front
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 01-03-2009 at 10:14 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problems with sound card on FreeBSD 4.5

Hi,friends!!! I have a problem with my integrated sound card AC97 on i815 and my version of FreeBSD is 4.5.I know that there is a driver for it called ich.c.gz,but the site containing it is unavaliable now.And is there another driver or some other ideas ? z-z-z-z-z :: email removed :: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kruch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sound Problems

Hi All I am having difficulty configuring sound on my system an wonder if anyone can help me. xmms refuses to play telling me that oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/sound/dsp): No such file or directory what I have done to try and fix this is 1. create /dev/sound/dsp ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux xmms sound problems

Dear all, I have been using suse linux for as long as I can remember. However, for every installation I get the same problem. Once the installation is completed, and all of my devices (brand new hardware, from reknown brands) are detected, I decide to start doing some work, and play some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
2 Replies

4. Linux

Using Fedora Core 2

I've been using FC2, but my sound card doesn't work I'm new with linux systems.. but there says that needs to recompile kernel how can i do it with a kernel 2.6.5 i386 ? by the way,. my sound card chipset is an ESS 1869F, with a compaq deskpro Smal Form Factor. but i have not found a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quake
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Fedora Core 2 Problems

I am very new at learning Linux/Unix so please bear with me. I am taking a Unix course and I had to install Fedora Core 2 on my laptop PC using Microsoft Virtual PC software. After installing the virtual PC software, I installed the fedora cd's that came with the course. My problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newby
0 Replies

6. Linux

No Sound [Sigmatel C-Major Audio] :: Fedora 7

I've been fighting for a few days now with trying to get my soundcard to recognize. I am currently using a Latitude D630 with Sigmatel C-Major Audio using the Intel ICH8 Family. My problem appears to be that the computer cannot detect a sound card but it was only able to install default drivers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grid-lyn
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having wireless Internet problems

I feel like the true definition of a newb but I guess you gotta start somewhere. I installed Gentoo on my laptop yesterday, it's a gnome based environment and I cannot get any wireless internet. The iwconfig and net-setup commands are not being recognized. I'm not sure what the problem is, I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessparkscars
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sound Problems

My sound is messed up. All I get is white noise when I try to watch Youtube or something. I'm running Solaris 10 SPARC on a Sun Ultra 5, which has a built-in speaker. How do I fix it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
4 Replies

9. Linux

Enabling/Configuring the Wireless on Fedora 9

Hi All, I have dula OS on my system. With Windows and Linux(FC9). On Windows wireless setting works fine with wireless enabled. Have installed Linux recently. Wireless is enabled, but i am not sure how to configure or make settings. My laptop is Compaq and OS is FC9. Please can anybody help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakash.kudreka
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

Wireless stopped working- Fedora 12

I installed F12 around the time it was released and it picked up my wireless card and worked like a charm.....Suddenly last week everything stopped working and I receive what appears to be a driver error when wlan0 tries to load. Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woodson2
1 Replies
IWPRIV(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 IWPRIV(8)

NAME
iwpriv - configure optionals (private) parameters of a wireless network interface SYNOPSIS
iwpriv [interface] iwpriv interface private-command [private-parameters] iwpriv interface private-command [I] [private-parameters] iwpriv interface --all iwpriv interface roam {on,off} iwpriv interface port {ad-hoc,managed,N} DESCRIPTION
Iwpriv is the companion tool to iwconfig(8). Iwpriv deals with parameters and setting specific to each driver (as opposed to iwconfig which deals with generic ones). Without any argument, iwpriv list the available private commands available on each interface, and the parameters that they require. Using this information, the user may apply those interface specific commands on the specified interface. In theory, the documentation of each device driver should indicate how to use those interface specific commands and their effect. PARAMETERS
private-command [private-parameters] Execute the specified private-command on the interface. The command may optionally take or require arguments, and may display information. Therefore, the command line parameters may or may not be needed and should match the command expectations. The list of commands that iwpriv displays (when called without argument) should give you some hints about those parameters. However you should refer to the device driver documentation for information on how to properly use the command and the effect. private-command [I] [ private-parameters ] Idem, except that I (an integer) is passed to the command as a Token Index. Only some command will use the Token Index (most will ignore it), and the driver documentation should tell you when it's needed. -a/--all Execute and display all the private commands that don't take any arguments (i.e. read only). roam Enable or disable roaming, if supported. Call the private command setroam. Found in the wavelan_cs driver. port Read or configure the port type. Call the private commands gport_type, sport_type, get_port or set_port found in the wavelan2_cs and wvlan_cs drivers. DISPLAY
For each device which support private commands, iwpriv will display the list of private commands available. This include the name of the private command, the number or arguments that may be set and their type, and the number or arguments that may be display and their type. For example, you may have the following display : eth0 Available private ioctl : setqualthr (89F0) : set 1 byte & get 0 gethisto (89F7) : set 0 & get 16 int This indicate that you may set the quality threshold and display an histogram of up to 16 values with the following commands : iwpriv eth0 setqualthr 20 iwpriv eth0 gethisto AUTHOR
Jean Tourrilhes - jt@hpl.hp.com FILES
/proc/net/wireless SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwspy(8), wavelan(4), wavelan_cs(4), wvlan_cs(4), netwave_cs(4). net-tools 31 October 1996 IWPRIV(8)