Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want read and an built in enter key stroke Post 302273135 by RahulJoshi on Friday 2nd of January 2009 07:49:01 PM
Old 01-02-2009
Want read and an built in enter key stroke

i have script like:
echo "enter name"
read a

I do not want to press enter key
i have tried with ascill of enter as (\013) but still it wait for enter ,
please resolve my problem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the ENTER key

Hi , I do the following : ]echo "Do you want to say yes or no ?(y/n):\c" read ans here 'n' is the default value.that means if the user press ENTER key then it should be 'n' . Now how do i know that the user has pressed ENTER key.What will be stored in my variable 'ans'. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

key stroke in sco unix

Hi, Please tell me substitute for esc+\ (used in solaris) in case of sco unix. Thanks, Pintu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintupatro
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find entering ENTER key?.

Hello All, i have a script to get input from the user like bellow, read -p "Do you want to continue (y/n) : " status i want to identify the pressing of Enter Key with out giving any value for the above statement and i want get the status if we press Enter key during run time. How to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsaravanan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

enter key solaris

Hi, When I run script on Sun Solaris (sassetup), it prompts to "Press Enter To Continue". Now I want to automate this, ie put sassetup in a script file. So, when I run this file, it should be executed automatically without waiting for anyone to press Enter Key. I have tried the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajjunaqvi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to introduce delay in Shell Script till a key stroke.

Hi All, How to introduce delay in the Bash/Shell Script till key stroke. Below is the requirement.. 1.Execute set of commands. 2.Display the message echo "press any key to continue" Introduce a delay till key stroke. 3.Execute next set of commands. Thanks in Advance Sunil.K (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilrk07
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disable Enter key to be pressed

Hi Experts, I have a script in which I want to disable the "Enter" key press. Actually my script executes some process in background. So, till that background process is running, I don't want "Enter" key to be pressed by user. Is this can be achieved using trap command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: R0H0N
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto ENTER key on TERM

I'm working in a UNIX box that's owned by a vendor. They have it set up by State, meaning when I need to program script related to certain States, I type in, for example, "CA", it goes to a whole other terminal: ddqsw:pts/2:login miller CA TERM = ( vt100 ) When I do this I have to hit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass Enter key stroke , tried all options?

Hi Friends, I am unable to pass Enter key stroke to shell script. Tried all options, but no luck. Please help.. Script: bkpscript.sh tam01# ./bkpscript.sh < file.txt Mount volume 1 on /dev/rmt0. Press Enter to continue. tam01# tam01# tam01# tam01# echo ""... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simulate enter key

I have a popup window that appears on every boot up. I would like to have it dismissed automatically each time instead of having to hit the enter key. I thought I could write a script that would execute on startup. I tried this xdotool key return andy@7_~/Downloads$ xdotool key ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
keyboard_translatekeys(3)					Svgalib User Manual					 keyboard_translatekeys(3)

NAME
keyboard_translatekeys - modify scancode mappings in raw keyboard mode SYNOPSIS
#include <vgakeyboard.h> void keyboard_translatekeys(int mask); DESCRIPTION
This function sets several flags which control how certain scancodes are mapped. At startup a mask value of 0 is active. mask must be a logical or of zero or more of the following #predefined integers to turn the features listed on: TRANSLATE_CURSORKEYS Translate the scancodes of the SCANCODE_CURSORBLOCK* keys to those of the cursor keys on the number pad, s.t. keyboard_getstate(3) and keyboard_keypressed(3) report a keypress of the corresponding number pad cursor key and not the one on the cursor block. TRANSLATE_DIAGONAL Translates the scancodes of diagonal cursor keys (keypad 7, 9, 1, 3) to presses of two of the ordinary up, down, left, right keys. For example, instead of reporting a press of SCANCODE_CURSORUPRIGHT keyboard_getstate(3) and keyboard_keypressed(3) report a simul- taneous press of SCANCODE_CURSORUP and SCANCODE_CURSORRIGHT. TRANSLATE_KEYPADENTER The scancode of the keypad enter key is mapped to that of the ordinary enter key, s.t. keyboard_getstate(3) and keyboard_key- pressed(3) report a press of SCANCODE_ENTER regardless if keypad enter or ordinary enter is pressed. DONT_CATCH_CTRLC Pressing <Ctrl>-C does not raise a SIGINT. On contrary to the other flags this has also effect when a user defined keyboard event handler is used. Svgalib will always process <Alt>-F1 - <Alt>-F10 and perform console switches accordingly. BUGS
The TRANSLATE_* options above do really do simple scancode translations. For example, when TRANSLATE_KEYPADENTER is active and the user presses both enter and keypad enter. Then, if he releases one of them (say keypad enter), it's release event will clear the common keyboard state, s.t. no keypress is reported even though enter is still pressed. Similarly, if TRANSLATE_DIAGONAL is active, the user holds cursor upleft (keypad 7) down and then presses and release cursor up (keypad 8), svgalib will only report a pressed cursor left but the simulated cursor up will be lost. You can easily try this with the keytest(6) demo to make the effect more clear to you. SEE ALSO
svgalib(7), vgagl(7), libvga.config(5), keytest(6), eventtest(6), keyboard_seteventhandler(3), keyboard_init(3), key- board_init_return_fd(3), keyboard_close(3), keyboard_update(3), keyboard_waitforupdate(3), keyboard_setdefaulteventhandler(3), key- board_getstate(3), keyboard_clearstate(3), keyboard_keypressed(3), vga_waitevent(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was edited by Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>. The exact source of the referenced function as well as of the original documentation is unknown. It is very likely that both are at least to some extent are due to Harm Hanemaayer <H.Hanemaayer@inter.nl.net>. Occasionally this might be wrong. I hereby asked to be excused by the original author and will happily accept any additions or corrections to this first version of the svgalib manual. Svgalib (>;= 1.2.11) 29 July 1997 keyboard_translatekeys(3)