Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming [C] fgets problem with SIGINT singlal!!! Post 302273041 by jim mcnamara on Friday 2nd of January 2009 11:04:16 AM
Old 01-02-2009
Code:
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void readLine(char *inputBuffer)
{
    char *p=NULL;
    *inputbuffer=0x0;
    if(fgets (inputBuffer, MAX_LINE, stdin)==NULL)
    {
        if(feof(stdin)) return;
    	if(errno == EINTR)
    	{
    	    *readLine=0x0; /* or do what you want to a partial read */
    		return;
    	}
    	/* other errors */
    	perror("Fatal error on stdin");
    	exit(1);    	
    }
    /* fflush(stdin) is NOT a defined operation 
       if this actually works it is "programming by accident" 

*/		
    fflush(stdin);

/* remove '\n' char from string */
    /* if the string entered is greater than MAX_LINE
       then you are whacking off valid characters

if(strlen(inputBuffer) != 0)
        inputBuffer[strlen(inputBuffer)-1] = '\0';
        I am assuming MAX_LINE is defined by you and is not some system value
        try this instead:
    */
    p=strchr(inputBuffer, '\n');
    if(p!=NULL)
    	*p=0x0;

}

fgets handles SIGINT all by itself - don't need to call a signal handler for SIGINT or leave the SIGINT handler as it is by adding code as above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

fgets()

does anyone knows how to accept a command from a user.. i was wondering to use fgets(), but got no idea how to start it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skanky
4 Replies

2. Programming

Problem with fgets and rewind function ..

Hello Friends, I got stuck with fgets () & rewind() function .. Please need help.. Actually I am doing a like, The function should read lines from a txt file until the function is called.. If the data from the txt file ends then it goes to the top and then again when the function is called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_prady
1 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with handling SIGINT

For a program I am designing, which involves handling the keyboard input Ctrl^c (SIGINT), it is taking ages for the program to actually recognise and perform the corresponding action whenever I run it and hit Ctrl^C at the CL. I have to do at least 3 Ctrl^Cs before the program will actually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

4. Programming

Question about NULL Character & fgets()

Assume client send the message " Hello ", i get output such as Sent mesg: hello Bytes Sent to Client: 6 bytes_received = recv(clientSockD, data, MAX_DATA, 0); if(bytes_received) { send(clientSockD, data, bytes_received, 0); data = '\0';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Intercepting SIGINT in a bash script

I've written a bash script which captures video with DVgrab. Because of the nature of the tapes that I am digitizing, sometimes I want to quit capturing before the time that I set for DVgrab. When this is the case I press Ctrl-c and DVgrab exits cleanly, my problem is that there is additional... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
5 Replies

6. Programming

why multiple SIGINT raises when i hit C-c

hi, in my application, i have set up to capture SIGINT and execute a handler.the problem is whenever i hit C-c, multiple SIGINT are sent to the application.I have blocked the SIGINT right after catching the first one but it is unsuccessful.Here is what i do : jmp_buf main_loop; int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sedighzadeh
1 Replies

7. Programming

fgets problems

I've been having trouble with reading past the end-of-file in C. Can anyone find my stupid mistake? This is the minimal code needed to cause the error for me: FILE *f = fopen(name, "r"); if (!f) return; pari_sp ltop = avma; char line; while(fgets(line, 1100, f) != NULL) printf(".");... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
23 Replies

8. Programming

fgets problems newline

hello, i'm trying to write a C-program that reads a file line by line. (and searches each line for a given string) This file is an special ASCII-database-file, with a lot of entries. I checked the line with most length, and it was about 4000 characters. With google i found several... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1cm1n
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SIGINT issue

May i know what are the possible causes for SIGINT other than ctrl-c? Thanks (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Always pass SIGINT in ksh

The following command will run and wait for input from the user. /usr/sap/SAP/webdisp/wdispmon pf=/usr/sap/SAP/webdisp/profile What I would like to do is (in one command): - Add the above line to a ksh script - Receive the output - and send a SIGINT I have seen many posts on how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapsid
3 Replies
FGETS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  FGETS(3)

NAME
fgets, gets -- get a line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char * fgets(char * restrict str, int size, FILE * restrict stream); char * gets(char *str); DESCRIPTION
The fgets() function reads at most one less than the number of characters specified by size from the given stream and stores them in the string str. Reading stops when a newline character is found, at end-of-file or error. The newline, if any, is retained, and a '' charac- ter is appended to end the string. The gets() function is equivalent to fgets() with an infinite size and a stream of stdin, except that the newline character (if any) is not stored in the string. It is the caller's responsibility to ensure that the input line, if any, is sufficiently short to fit in the string. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fgets() and gets() return a pointer to the string. If end-of-file or an error occurs before any characters are read, they return NULL. The fgets() and gets() functions do not distinguish between end-of-file and error, and callers must use feof(3) and ferror(3) to determine which occurred. ERRORS
[EBADF] The given stream is not a readable stream. The function fgets() may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routines fflush(3), fstat(2), read(2), or malloc(3). The function gets() may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routine getchar(3). SEE ALSO
feof(3), ferror(3), fgetln(3) STANDARDS
The functions fgets() and gets() conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89'') and IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). The IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1'') revision marked gets() as obsolescent. CAVEATS
The following bit of code illustrates a case where the programmer assumes a string is too long if it does not contain a newline: char buf[1024], *p; while (fgets(buf, sizeof(buf), fp) != NULL) { if ((p = strchr(buf, ' ')) == NULL) { fprintf(stderr, "input line too long. "); exit(1); } *p = ''; printf("%s ", buf); } While the error would be true if a line longer than 1023 characters were read, it would be false in two other cases: 1. If the last line in a file does not contain a newline, the string returned by fgets() will not contain a newline either. Thus strchr() will return NULL and the program will terminate, even if the line was valid. 2. All C string functions, including strchr(), correctly assume the end of the string is represented by a null ('') character. If the first character of a line returned by fgets() were null, strchr() would immediately return without considering the rest of the returned text which may indeed include a newline. Consider using fgetln(3) instead when dealing with untrusted input. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Since it is usually impossible to ensure that the next input line is less than some arbitrary length, and because overflowing the input buf- fer is almost invariably a security violation, programs should NEVER use gets(). The gets() function exists purely to conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD