Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in sed command (adding a blank line btw each block generated by pattern) Post 302272906 by frozensmilz on Thursday 1st of January 2009 08:44:33 PM
Old 01-01-2009
Need help in sed command (adding a blank line btw each block generated by pattern)

Hello friends,

I have a C source code containing sql statements. I use the following sed command to print all the sql blocks in the source code....

sed -n "/exec sql/,/;/p" Sample.cpp

The above sed command will print the sql blocks based on the pattern "exec sql" & ";" (since most of them start with "exec" & ends in ";") & the output will look like this (with no ">>>>")

1>>>> exec sql select pqxQrn,
pqxPmeOldQcl
into :qrn, :qxt, :cuk, :cln, :pqxTdd,
:pmeOldQcl indicator :pmeOldQclInd
from pqx
1>>>>where pqxDno = :dno;
2>>>>exec sql select qcfQcl into :oldQcl from qcf
1>>>> where qcfCuk = :cuk;
2>>>> exec sql select cufCid
into :cid
from cuf
1>>>>where cufCuk = :cuk;
2>>>> exec sql select clrChief
into :chief
from clr
1>>>> where clrCln = :cln;
2>>>> exec sql select count(*) into :cnt from pqx
1>>>> where pqxQrn < :qrn;
2>>>> exec sql declare xqxPmeCur cursor for
select pqxQrn
from pqx
where pqxQxt = QXT_PME and
pqxCuk = :cuk and
pqxPmeDno = :dno and
1>>>> pqxTdd = :pqxTdd;
2>>>> exec sql open xqxPmeCur;

I would like to insert a space in between each sql blocks (between "1>>>>" & "2>>>>").....so that it is more readable. Kindly help....& thanks in advance.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

adding a new line using sed command

I need to find text "A" and replace it with A B. The issue is that I need a new line between A and B. \n does not do the work. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivesia
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - adding a new line after pattern

Hi, In files, I have a field Date Of Birth (DOB). After that line I need to add Date of Joining (DOJ) DOB:19-Apr-1981 needs to become DOB:19-Apr-1981 DOJ:20-Jun-2005 What can be a sed/perl line that can do it for me. Please note that DOB/DOJ I have in variables I am doing in a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed: adding a line after each search block

Hi friends, I have written script that will search & display the block of sql statement. Since there are many blocks of sql statement i am finding it difficult to distinguish between them. The below is the sed command & its result exec sql abc abc abc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - adding blank line after each Range Match

the following range matching works great but i wish to add a blank line after each range result set... which i've tried and researched to no avail MY INPUT DATA: CURRENT CODE I'M USING: sed -n '/*$/,/;/p' $INPUT_FILE RESULTS I'M GETTING: RESULT I looking to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed adding a blank line

I use the following as part of a script to correct for a faulty hostname file. # get the domain name read -r thehostname < /etc/hostname dom="$(echo $thehostname | cut -d'.' -f2)" numchar=${#dom} if then echo "It appears as though the hostname is not correctly set." echo "Hostname has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a pattern in a file with a generated number using sed or awk

my file has thousands of line but let me show what i want to achieve... here is one line from that file cat fileName.txt (2,'','user3002,user3003','USER_DATA_SINGLE',1,0,0,'BACKUP',2,NULL,0,450,NULL,NULL,'','2011-05-10... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed: Adding new line after matching pattern

Hi I just wanted to add a new line after every matching pattern: The method doing this doesn't matter, however, I have been using sed and this is what I tried doing, knowing that I am a bit off: sed 'Wf a\'/n'/g' Basically, I want to add a new line after occurrence of Wf. After the line Wf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)